• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ruined nymphaea bulb?

sari

I have just received my order from aquatic magic. I think the international postal services are using a mangle since my zenkeri bulb has been crushed. My question is, is the bulb ruined or will it grow if I plant it? It is solid still and not rotting... what a pain in the bottom...

Also I ordered some moss named star moss and looking at it, it seems more non aquatic, being sort of brittle and crumbly with brown underside like moss coming of a rock when stepped on. :?

Hiya, plant that bulb and you may be surprised ;)

The mosses are grown immersed on things like rock, i had some off of them and it was in the same condition which made me wonder too, but given the right conditions it'll be fine. In the past i've had success putting it in a floating tray (a bowl or something) with clingfilm over the top, add a small amount of water to the the vessel and let it float it in the tank for a day or so, making sure it doesn't dry out. discard the old water and fill up with more tank water every day, add a little more water than the previous day every time. Do it for a week or more, it's worked very well in the past.
HTH
Dan

I'll plant the bulb and will give it some time. It's been squished to about 5 mm so won't have too high hopes... I popped the moss in a pint glass with some tank water but it is a right mess with only very small pieces about. Will let it soak for a while and see whether there is hope for it. It seems too crumbly even to tie anywhere...

sari said:
It seems too crumbly even to tie anywhere...
Sounds like it's really dried out, keeping it contained is your best bet but try and keep the water fresh and keep it under the aquarium lights, floating in the tank to give it a good start, hopefully it's floating in the glass so it'll get plenty of CO2 from the void in the glass (i think) If it's completely submerged empty a bit out so it's have in, half out.

I will do,I havent got a flotig tray but will see if I can improvise something from a plastic bag and fruit container! :rolleyes:

Back