• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rummy nose tetra are stressful to watch

milesjames

So I'm going to put my self out there, but I recently stocked a new tank with rummy nose tetra. I have 14 so a nice big school and was looking forward to the whole showling effect.

I have to say now they are in the tank and settled (good colour no stressed behaviours) I now find the aesthetic of watching them quite stressful to watch.

They are like guppys on steroids speed wise and busy busy busy!!

The showling effect is alot to be desired but all I see is masses of fish who never look like they could have enough room to swim.

Thoughts??? Are rummys stressful for you to watch?? What is the true length of tank needed to enjoy this fish??

So I'm going to put my self out there, but I recently stocked a new tank with rummy nose tetra. I have 14 so a nice big school and was looking forward to the whole showling effect.

I have to say now they are in the tank and settled (good colour no stressed behaviours) I now find the aesthetic of watching them quite stressful to watch.

They are like guppys on steroids speed wise and busy busy busy!!

The showling effect is alot to be desired but all I see is masses of fish who never look like they could have enough room to swim.

Thoughts??? Are rummys stressful for you to watch?? What is the true length of tank needed to enjoy this fish??
How big is the tank they’re in?

Probably why they’re stressful to watch they have no choice but to pace up and down.

I know they’re a small fish but as you’ve found out they’re very active. I’d recommend a four foot or larger for these.

Cheers

I think most true schooling fish (not shoaling who loosely school) need a larger tank, 6ft minimum to really give them the room they desire for swimming.

Probably why they’re stressful to watch they have no choice but to pace up and down.

I know they’re a small fish but as you’ve found out they’re very active. I’d recommend a four foot or larger for these.

I agree. I know many people keep them in smaller tanks, but looking at their body shape and behaviour tells me that they are an active fish used to quite fast flowing water. They need a lot of space.

Here's some video of them in their natural habitat (timestamp 02:00 onwards):

I have a 110ltr and it's 80cm length so I feel its definitely to short really.

Everytime they get the pace they have to turn it seems a little bit crackers that people keep them in anything under 6ft...

Im going to likely return them to the shop they are just not a good mix for shorter tanks.

I do feel this needs to be said more though amount blogs. As I do normally count myself good with husbandry/research normally but I did not clock this prior to purchase.

Its not this tank its the one in the newest blog "dutch 110ltr rummy nose islands"

Seriously fish recommends 90cm minimum, so not far off what you've got but agree with others. Bigger would definitely be better with this species. Although I think you'd be making the best move by returning them. You could add a small powerhead for them to swim into. Quite common with rainbow fish that like flow and would otherwise be up and down the tank all day. If you position it right the fish will swim into the flow almost continuously, so you can use it to help direct the fish to where you want them.

body shape
I think there’s a lot to be said about the body shapes of fish and how we should be keeping them. They’ve ultimately adapted to be a certain way to suit a certain environment.

There are so many fish in this hobby, that there’s something to suit every tank, with proper research.

I have rummys in a 40L tank and they don't appear stressed out but I also have quite strong water flow from a VorTech powerhead (VorTech MP10wQD - Fireplace aquarium) so they get a good swim in pretty much all the time. If you can't get a bigger tank, you could try increasing the water circulation.
A lot of the ‘monster’ fish keepers do a similar thing.

How long is this 40l?

A lot of the ‘monster’ fish keepers do a similar thing. How long is this 40l?
MP10 in a 40L tank 😱 how’s it not like a washing machine in there.
It's 38 cm "long" - there's a couple videos here: Rummy-nosed tetra - Fireplace aquarium The rummys are some of the very first fish I got and I don't know if I would do the same again knowing what I know now. Like I said, the VorTech moves the water around pretty good. I have it on 'gyre' alternating between lowest and next-to-lowest settings every two minutes. The aquarium is pretty heavily planted and there is a large "mountain" structure in there so there are places the fish can hang out where there's not much current if that's what they choose to do.

It's 38 cm "long" - there's a couple videos here: Rummy-nosed tetra - Fireplace aquarium The rummys are some of the very first fish I got and I don't know if I would do the same again knowing what I know now. Like I said, the VorTech moves the water around pretty good. I have it on 'gyre' alternating between lowest and next-to-lowest settings every two minutes. The aquarium is pretty heavily planted and there is a large "mountain" structure in there so there are places the fish can hang out where there's not much current if that's what they choose to do.
Gosh you stocked that tank to the edge of what's "considered" correct stocking given the 1cm to liter rule. I hope you have plans for a bigger tank soon. That stocking is going to get messy pritty quickly. 7 x rummy and 3 x tiger barbs is one hell of a tricky mix for any tank but when those barbs get bigger....Thank you for the power head advice tho I think I will return them, but will put a pump to increase flow till I get bags for the return. 😊

They are 5-banded (or maybe 6-banded) barbs, not tiger barbs, and are much more peaceful (except to cherry shrimp 😱) and won't get any larger. I'm a fan of good flow/circulation which can sometimes not get enough consideration with too much reliance (in my opinion) on only having filters rather than something like a powerhead that by design is really good at pushing water around.

My lord has anyone tried catching rummy nose!!! They are a serious challenge!! Some may have to stay at this rate!! 2hrs and 5 is all I have caught!! I never let a fish defeat me but my god they are edging towards being as tough as buenos aires tetra. Which last time is tried to catch resulted in stripping the tank and using the trench method!!

Back