• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Rummynose?

mlgt

I know there are 3 types.

So which is the better shoaling/most resiliant one? Any ideas on the difference on pricing and water conditions?

Ive heard that the three species can be easily mis-identified because they all look very similar.

There is the True Rummy Nose - Hemigrammus bleheri
Rummy Nose Tetra - Hemigrammus rhodostomus
False Rummy Nose - Petitella georgiae

For info I have a 350l Rena tank which I am planning to rehouse my 20+ cardinals, but after discussion with a few fishkeepers on this forum I have decided to take the plunge and get a new stock of fish for my new tank. The tank is cycled with mature media and has been planted and running for over 1 month now.

Filtration is a jbl e1500, which upon moving the rest of my fish over will bring over another jbl e1500. Other fish include 2 tiger turq discus, 10 corys (panda, sterbai, julli mix) 6 amanos, clown pleco and a handful of sakura shrimps.

Can anyone shed a light on my discussion topic?

the asian rummynoses do not shoal at all (no idea what scientific name that is).

rumynoses are some of my favourite fish. but i am going to stay away from them in future scapes as they munch on all my fine leaved plants, inlcuding blyxa, r. wallichii and others...

Thats interesting. How often did you feed yours?

Im tempted to get around 40-50 of these to fit in my 350l tank.

Ive just placed an order for 50 rummys from Living Waters. I cant wait now :)

I will be popping down to LW prob 26th to pick up 25 rummys and then another 2 weeks later for the remaining. Might be brave and go for 51 rummys in total :p

1 for luck haha

Ruminose eat plants? My favorite blyxa? And I was about to get some for new tank. Isn't it more of feeding issue?

I must admit i did not know there were three different types so I have no idea what type I have been keeping?
However I have got 6 in my tank that are over 5 years old possibly more, I stated off with 12 but several died within a few months.
The ones I have left are quite distinguishable from one another with one tiny one & one much bigger than the others.
Anyhow I have never seen them feed on any plants although they are quite agressive when feeding compared to my cardinals - overall very nice active fish.

I am thinking its going to be a headache feeding 51 of these in my tank. But I guess the discus will boss these guys around.

Back