• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Running in time for a 2nd External Filter

Mark Green

I will be setting up another tank in 7 weeks time :D , cant wait to start setting it up.

Now my plan for the new filter ( tetra tec ex1200)is to attach it to my existing set up rio 125l ( This tank currently has a tetra tec ex1200 fitted to it already) so i can give it some running in time to get some good bacteria in their, so when i swap the new external to the new tank so the filter will have had lots of running in time.

My question's being is how long should i keep the new filter running for? should i start running it now ? or should i wait 2 weeks before i start my new tank?

Also do you think that i may have too much filtration running 2 * ex1200. The old ex has lost some of its original flow as now 2 years old.

Thx

Mark

Same as above just make sure that you use dechlorinated water so as not to kill off the good bacteria in your existing filter media. The more 'seeding' of the new filter by the older matured filter media the merrier, but they will still require some ammonia from somewhere to reproduce and completly colonise the filter. So as long as the water quality is ok a few hardy fish fed well would be benificial and keep the lighting low to start with.

Personally, I would pinch a couple of the sponges out of the existing EX1200, swapping them for a couple from the new filter along with a little of your bio media.

Sounds like a great idea and will save my elctricity bill also.

The more 'seeding' of the new filter by the older matured filter media the merrier, but they will still require some ammonia from somewhere to reproduce and completly colonise the filter. So as long as the water quality is ok a few hardy fish fed well would be benificial and keep the lighting low to start with.

Was thinking of putting in some shrimp first and as the new tank will be 60cm-30cm-30cm would you say that 25watt will be enough for the first few weeks.

Cheers

Mark

Probably too much light for a tank of that size. 25W over a twelve gallon tank is a little over 2WPG. If its possible to do why not get the filter matured on the tank before planting it. The golden rule is ammonia+light=algae so bare this in mind when maturing a new tank and filter combination.

Back