• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Running two filters,can one be turned off part of the day?

Goodygumdrops

As per the title,I am presently running both a Fluval 2+ and Fluval 3+ on my two foot tank,the intention being to have the larger filter ready to go on my main tank.
Problem being though that I got some tiny Honey Dwarf gouramis at the weekend and I think they may be struggling a bit with the strong current.
Would it do the larger filter any harm bacteria wise,if I was to turn it off overnight to give my little guys a bit of a rest?

Thanks Aaron,I was planing on leaving it off all night but I guess that's out.I've got a spray bar to put on one so I think I'll put it on the larger filter and the output won't be quite as mental (I'm surmising anyway as the flow will be directed through multiple outlets rather than just the one).
The fish are finding spots to rest (most of the on top of the filters!!),I just didn't want to stress them too much.

Hve you tried slowing the flow down by only opening the taps part way. This will reduce the flow whilst still allowing the movement of water throgh the filter.

Yep,I've got them both turned right down.Do you think I'd be as well just taking the 3+ out,and maybe kickstarting it with a floss pad from the 2+ when I finally get round to setting this other tank up?

Thats how i would do it with your setup. However i would use the largest filter on your current setup for now, seed the larger filter with the media from the smaller filtter (matured filter) + what ever new media you can filt in. Then when i was ready to set up the new tank i would share the media between the 2 filters.

Oh god I've been agonising over this and stuff it.I'm going to go with your suggestion Milla,I will keep running the big filter and take the wee one off.
I won't be so desperate to get fish into the main tank anyway as I already have them in the small tank,so I can start with new media when I set that one up and trim the old media from it to fit the smaller filter (going back on the tank with the fish in).Aaarrrgghhh!!
Hmmm,this might be interesting actually just having plants in my main tank and no fishies.

I completely agree with Milla's idea. Run the large of the two then, when you're ready to start the new tank split the matured media between both filters. You'll find you will have almost no cycle at all - just go steady on the food to start with.

Back