• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

'S 'appenin wid me greens?

Ivan

Hi folk, not posted in a while, sorry.
So, i'm experiencing a bit of a prob. tank stats first...
pH 7- 7.5, gh7, kh4 nitrate 25ppm. Rio 400, co2, E.I. dosing as per nutri calc, but half dose as i'm not heavily planted. If you need any other info let me know and I'll sort it out.
The prob: On the carolina, not sure which one it is. Part of the plant is lush and green, mainly new growth, but the lower leaves are a mucky brown colour, a bit similar to brown algea.
And some of the older leaves on my large sword are starting to hole.

A few of my thoughts are that I'm not using the right ferts in the first place, not using enough (but don't want to over saturate my lightly planted tank) the tubes need replacing, not enough light or the sword is too close to the carolina and is sucking the substrate dry.
I'll post pics in a little while, camera is out of batteries.

When you say poor co2, I presume you mean at a low level? Not in the actual quality of the co2. :)

It could be the flow then, as it is quite low. I used to use a spraybar under the water surface, but i can't fit it to this diffuser I'm using. FYI I didn't have the bar splashing into the water and causing loads of agitation, it was just to circulate the water.
I suppose when the plants where small, the flow was ok for them. Now they are growing like stink, flow will be restricted. Thanks guys.
Here is a pic as promised.
DSCF1058.jpg

Ivan said:
When you say poor co2, I presume you mean at a low level? Not in the actual quality of the co2. :)

It could be the flow then, as it is quite low. I used to use a spraybar under the water surface, but i can't fit it to this diffuser I'm using. FYI I didn't have the bar splashing into the water and causing loads of agitation, it was just to circulate the water.
I suppose when the plants where small, the flow was ok for them. Now they are growing like stink, flow will be restricted.
Yep, poor CO2 is defined in terms of it's concentration level as well as the stability of the concentration level during the photoperiod and the delivery of that level to the surface of the leaf via flow patterns. Higher plant mass results in higher consumption and higher demand, so that all three factors are affected. You may need to increase the injection rate as well as the flow rate.

Cheers,

Ok, first I'll address the flow and see what I can do. If there is no improvement then I'll adjust the level of co2.
Thanks for the help.

Back