• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sack of Wood seized by custom!!!

Piece-of-fish

Hello everyone, was on a long holiday in Brazil recently. Had an opportunity to see some tropical fish that we have in aquariums in nature. Some cihlids, plecos in the streams and some species of tetras i believe.
Since i had plenty of time had an opportunity to collect some really beautiful top class root wood. Ohh, there were 12kg of it, various shape and size, all an aquascaper would have dreamed of :)
And guess what, was so unlucky to be picked up from the whole airplane to have a full custom luggage inspection probably due to being in a target group for drug smuggling. I never expected that my beauty will be seized, was worried about the food but would never think that wood is in a prohibited item list!!!
'' Bringing natural wood into UK- From listed European and Mediterranean countries, you are allowed a maximum of 5 pieces without bark, each no more than 1 meter in length'' that is what the custom says :sick:
The guys where speaking about some wood disease and miles of had to be burned forests because of that and bla bla bla, whatever...

Was thinking that this information might be of some help to someone.

I think it was Brazil in question in an article by pfk this month, when Heiko Bleher tried to bring some fish tissue back into the UK. Obviously not the same thing, just seems they are very strict :twisted:

The only thing left to me is to convince myself that the wood was toxic anyway :( witch i believe was not...
Will try to get some of it by post and find out anyway.

Come on guys, which one of you works at Heathrow and nicked this for your tank? :p

Heiko is on all the watch and search list at customs.

I take only pictures.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Back