• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

sae's tail/fin damage.

hi,
I have 3 sae's in my tank, i noticed last night they all have had thier tails nipped fairly badly.
I'm tryin to figure out who the culprits are?
Its not the ottos!
And pretty certain they wont be doin it to each other?
So that leaves, amano shrimp, chain loaches, ember tetra, green tetra(dead now, so hope it was these!) or blue neon rasboras.
Pretty sure it was either of the groups of tetra, altho from all i've read they're peacefull! :-/
Anyone else had a similar experience and can help identify the bullies?

Are you sure it's been nipped and not some sort of bacterial infection? Can you get a photo of it?

Are you sure it's not the SAE's themselves? As I understand it (not from personal experience mind :rolleyes: ) SAE's are quite aggressive with each other. From what I've read it's best to keep them singularly or as a large group. Can anyone confirm this?

ive got 4 in my tank with no other fish and they spend alot of the time together but every so often one just goes mad and chases the others around the tank but within a minute there all there together again,comical to watch but just a bit annoying because they always seem to manage to dislodge some hc on there little rampage,but none of them have shown any damage/stress at all.but dont think they've ever caught each other.

cheers dave

Dan,
no i wasn't totally sure, i've never seen a bacterial infection of tails/fins, how ever it "looks" like nipping injuries.

steve,
first i've heard of them being aggressive with each other!
but......
after watching them tonight for a long while i believe now it is indeed the sae's fighting amongst themselves!! :0/

dave,
mine act like this also, altho are often separate also

they were first fish in the tank(6ish wks ago) and its only in the last few days that there has been noticeable damage.
so its only recently they've started doin this, could it be they are not getting enough food therefore getting aggressive over what is there?

Back