• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Safe Dye

jameson_uk

Unfortunately Dye is too short a search term but I had a look and couldn't find any similar threads....

With a little Birthday money and based on Filter For Betta I have ended up with a tiny 300 lph cannister and small spin lilly pipe (which turned up in a massive box so wasn't quite sure what it was...)
MVIMG_20190521_211026.jpg

Anyway my thought was to experiment with flow (possibly in my currently dry hospital tank) with this setup and a couple of other filters for comparison. Is there any aquarium safe dye I could use that won't stain everything so I can actually see the flow patterns? Even better, is there any dye that does all this and will break down so it could be used in a working tank?

CO2 fine bubbles
Fish food - some works better than others so try all you’ve got

Most dyes either aren’t something I’d want to leave in an aquarium (especially with inverts) or will potentially stain

Most ich remedies have a dye component, but depending on aquarium silicon, you may see discolouration - though Prime does tend to remove Paraguard blue, also Hikari IchX blue (& possibly others)

Crush some perlite into a dust and suspend it in water, then use a pipette to add a bit where you need it. It will not dissipate, unlike potassium permanganate and other chemicals.

Leak detector tracer dyes for drinking water instalations. :)]
That was the sort of stuff I was thinking of but that is more expensive than I thought

I am really interested in how the flow pattern is so not sure food would help, I think it would need to be something that can safely circulate through the filter.

There are natural food dyes.. :) Such as the Butterfly Pea Plant - Clitoria Ternatea.. It grows in Asia (Thailand) and is used to color rise, cake, icecream, drinks etc. even textile in a deep purple color. It can be ordered from Ebay.. :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-T...d-Blue-Flower-Clitoria-Ternatea/152660300236?

You can also order seeds and grow this plant indoors, even outdoors in the summer. The flowers are used for its dye properties.. I'm growwing it indoors, but it rarely flowers.. Outdoors in the full sun it definitively will..

Back