• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Safest internal filter for Ember Tetras

Polly

71 litre planted tank - no co2 Stock - Ember Tetras, Threadfin Rainbows and a pair of baby bronze corys

I've removed my Interpet Duo2 (like the Hydor Crystal 2) as my Ember Tetras kept getting into the filter :? the last straw was finding them actually INSIDE the filter case looking out at me :wideyed:

I got fed up of the thing falling off the side of the tank anyway ;) but I did like the outflow director - bit like a lily pipe :)

So I'm looking for a replacement - Not too fussy to work with, no fiddly bits. Not too expensive - I like to keep costs down ;)

And one that won't force dirty water back into the tank when I clean it out and has an outflow director, I hate it when the water shoots out and blasts the fish across the tank.

Currently running an Aqua Clear 2000 pump with a Quick Filter stuffed with sponge in the bottom and Juwel filter pads in the top around the tube and ceramic media inside the tube. It's working fine, but cleaning it is a nightmare - loads of muck back in the tank every time :(

you should look at the Fluval u2 or a filter in that range they are a realy easy to use filter, the media sits along the sides of the filter which will make it dificult for the fish to get inside the filter, quite good flow from them too!!

Matt :D

Thanks for that Matt :)

I have looked at the Fluval U2 and was really interested until I realised that I would forever be buying filter pads for it - unless I can find alternatives ;)

It does look the biz tho and I'm very tempted, have been very satisfied overall with Fluval filters

I've also been looking at the Eheim Pick up. Looks very unfussy and some of the foam could be replaced with BioMax or similar ;) and the price is very attractive 8)

Does anyone know if there is room for putting either a small piece of foam or filter floss/pad inside the intake grille before the impeller - that would keep my Embers from becoming Ember Smoothies!

Thats one expensive filter Nelson! and it uses 11 watts!! :wideyed:

Compare with the Eheim Pick up which will run up to 500lph and about half the watts! or the Fuval U2 400lph and also half the watts! both much cheaper than the JBL i60 :clap:

Polly said:
Thats one expensive filter Nelson! and it uses 11 watts!! :wideyed:

Compare with the Eheim Pick up which will run up to 500lph and about half the watts! or the Fuval U2 400lph and also half the watts! both much cheaper than the JBL i60 :clap:
sorry.didn't think £30 was that much :oops:thought 300-800lph was good,probably 400lph with media.plus directional flow,spraybay and extra filter modules if needed gave you options.can't comment on 11 watts :lol: .
how much can you get the others for :?: .
theres also eheim aquaball http://www.charterhouse-aquatics.co.uk/ ... 2_277.html
thats only 5 watts :!:

also just used that site for reference.you could try here http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/filt ... al_filters
or here http://www.aquaristic.net/shop.php/sid/ ... 6.39282126

I can get the Fluval U2 for £21 delivered and the Eheim Pick up for £18 Delivered - so quite a bit left for more plants :D

Did look at the Aquaball but can't see how it won't drip dirty water everywhere when I clean it :? o_O What I'm using at the moment is pretty similar so I know the Aquaball would be a really good filter ;)

ETA Have just had an e-mail reply from Mark at the Green Machine that the Pick Up will accept a piece of foam behind the grille should it be needed. So... waiting for my credit card - oops I mean OH, to come home so I can order :clap:

Now all I have to figure out is how do I convince him that another filter is really necessary when I have 3 perfectly good, useable filters already in the house - but none of them are safe for my Ember Tetras and 2 of them are FAR too big for the 2ft tank :crazy: :shh:

Anyone for a Trio 3000 ? :angelic:

Back