• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sagittaria subulata

Sandfire

Seedling
I bought Sagittaria Pulsilus from plants alive after thinking it was a foreground plant, after receiving about 10 times what I ordered (for the same price :D ) in a huge dense carpet ( :( )I thought I would investigate it on the internet a bit more, it looks like Sagittaria Pulsilus or dwarf Sagittaria is actually Sagittaria subulata.

I can't find a clear information on this plant, anyone have any experience with how tall it really gets, as far as I can tell its only grows 'dwarf' when grown emersed?

Anyone grown it before?

I have grown lots of this and found in my tank that it started off small and stayed small for a long time, then started to gradually get taller and taller. Then over a period of months some plants eventually got to about 18"

As they got taller I moved them further back in the tank, so got a really nice back to mid transition from them.

Then I really bumped up my phosphate dosing and within two month all the plants were reaching for the stars.

Tropica agree with me about it being small, bu then changing its mind ;) .... http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=079

When i had it, i had the same experience, small to start then got bigger, but it sends out runners everywhere so you get a naturaly sloped plant mat :)

Mine is starting to get taller too, it stayed nice and small for a while but is now getting taller and taller :wideyed:

mr. luke said:
When i had it, i had the same experience, small to start then got bigger, but it sends out runners everywhere so you get a naturaly sloped plant mat :)

oh yeah, those runners are prolific! I must have given\swapped\sold well over 100 plants in the year or so it was in my tank 8)

There's also S.natans which is sold under "Dwarf Sagittaria". May or not be the same plant. I got some from Greenline many years ago and it stayed small in a low light "natural" set up, but maybe I was lucky.

Back