• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 120cm 'hill's of desire'

Tonser said:
Any chance of some sort of step-by-step record of your stem trimming please ? :). I for one would love to see how you go about it.

yeah sure, i'll try my best at least. :D

AdAndrews said:
do you just go bannanas with the scissors :lol:

basically, yes :D it's about finding your trimming lines and over all look that your after. admittedly , i've got stem combos which are new to me also, so this could work out great, or totally crap.

Who said you couldn't do full-tank shots?!

Wonderful macros too.

I can see this resembling your 'old' in-shop Iwagumi that featured in PFK - I know that's probably the intention, in part. Except this has a lot more potential.

Keep this going for a few months if you can. The moss and Anubias will look great once mature and you can really hone your stem pruning skills, and teach us all how it's done...

George Farmer said:
Who said you couldn't do full-tank shots?!

:lol: not my strong point, but since i found my 50mm 1.4 the sharpness has improved a little. To be honest, I didn't go to town on it.

George Farmer said:
I can see this resembling your 'old' in-shop Iwagumi that featured in PFK - I know that's probably the intention, in part.

the initial idea wasn't like that, but slipped into stem mode.

George Farmer said:
Keep this going for a few months if you can. The moss and Anubias will look great once mature and you can really hone your stem pruning skills, and teach us all how it's done...

I'll show what I can :D

i've just come back from the tank. i've not seen it of an evening...well a couple of times. its usually a phone call asking " is it pearling?" I thought I'd best check with my own eyes....it's pearling! 8)

Hi Mark,

I've probably missed it somewhere in your journal but just wanted to ask what moss you used? Like yourself I'm really into ADA and Amano's work and he tends to use willow moss but I understand it's a bit more difficult to grow/keep. Do you think good old java moss will still give good results, tied to lava stone and wood tips and bends?

Thanks in advance

Mark!

myboyshay said:
Like yourself I'm really into ADA and Amano's work and he tends to use willow moss but I understand it's a bit more difficult to grow/keep. Do you think good old java moss will still give good results, tied to lava stone and wood tips and bends?

hi mate. Amano does use willow, but he also uses Java in huge quantities too. probably more than willow from what i can gather.

in this set up i've used Java attached to slate via fine fishing line. :D

I must say I had some doubts about this setup, even after I had seen the expertise in other scapes of yours. At first setup the arrangement of stones seemed to me to be a bit "crowded". But now with all the plants settling in, it is starting to look really good (and I must say; once again).

Re: Saintly's 120cm private scape

ilaymir said:
Hi Saintly,

-The rocks are beautiful.Layout is also beautiful.If the left side was a little bit higher, it may look better IMO.
-When you have such nice looking rocks,focus should be on them and too much plant prevents this.It think the number of plants used better not to be more than 2 or 3.Stem type plants,especially when they grow,will cause visual confusion.
-Simplicity goes better with these types of deisgns.

Regards

ilaymir

No comment.

Regards

ilaymir

Above, what I mean by "no comment" was that changes in the tank proved what I wrote before was true.Why are you so sensitive about this?
Everyone may not write in English in a tactful way as you like.I do not want to offend anyone but I like saying my words clearly.If I don't like something(or like)
I simply say it.I can't pretend like I do like it.
I really wonder if you have a secret rule like"Do not write if you will not say you like it ."
Let me know,so then I don't waste my time here.

ilaymir

Re: Saintly's 120cm private scape

ilaymir said:
-The rocks are beautiful.Layout is also beautiful.If the left side was a little bit higher, it may look better IMO.
-When you have such nice looking rocks,focus should be on them and too much plant prevents this.It think the number of plants used better not to be more than 2 or 3.Stem type plants,especially when they grow,will cause visual confusion.
-Simplicity goes better with these types of deisgns.

Regards

ilaymir

I wonder, are you really in a position to be telling Saintly what he should be doing with his scapes'? I think not :wave: :twisted:

keep it up Mark :thumbup:
I just trimmed my stems yesterday, went a bit radical actually :oops: the bit thats at the bottom, will that stay the same now, shall i trim right down, otherwise the top will be new growth and the bottom, the same old stuff wont it?

ilaymir said:
Above, what I mean by "no comment" was that changes in the tank proved what I wrote before was true.Why are you so sensitive about this?

sensative?...of course not :D

ilaymir said:
Everyone may not write in English in a tactful way as you like.

true. :D

ilaymir said:
.I do not want to offend anyone but I like saying my words clearly

yep. :D

ilaymir said:
If I don't like something(or like)

yep :D

ilaymir said:
I simply say it.I can't pretend like I do like it.

agreed :thumbup:

ilaymir said:
I really wonder if you have a secret rule like"Do not write if you will not say you like it ."

nope :D

ilaymir said:
Let me know,so then I don't waste my time here.

it's fine by me my friend.

BTW, i noticed you requested scapes from 5 years ago?......

here's one of mine almost 3 years ago, when i first started seriously.It even proves theres no editing...this is the RAW file.

f776c00f.jpg

I must admit i've been guilty of seeking self gratification, but as time passes, i become mellow and more at ease with myself, thus resulting in me not looking for praise any more. My friend, you can critique my tanks all you like :thumbup:

saintly said:
I must admit i've been guilty of seeking self gratification, but as time passes, i become mellow and more at ease with myself, thus resulting in me not looking for praise any more. My friend, you can critique my tanks all you like :thumbup:

Thats how I think; the best critique of your own tanks is yourself, as you are the one that has to live with it (or not as it were with this tank as its at your aunties :lol: ). No one can judge someone elses taste. Despite this however I think your tank looks bloody awesome :D

aquaticmaniac said:
:woot: Nice one!

Feed us pictures, or we will die, Mark.
Im a zombie already :twisted:
Mark = Detail...:text-+1:

Hi saintly,

-My Nov. 26.2009 dated post was a reply to George Farmer's message he wrote about me.But later this post deleted.(probably by a moderator).
So it was not about you.

-Your tank really looks good for a beginner. You put me in a nostalgic mood:

http://images.google.com.tr/images?hl=t ... a=N&tab=wi

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ry=0&vol=1

-Good for you that you are open to criticism.I hope others learn something from this.
It obvioust that I have passed the age to need praise.I just say what I think beacuse personally I
can't see much difference between flattery and two facedness.

Regards

ilaymir

ilaymir said:
Hi saintly,

-My Nov. 26.2009 dated post was a reply to George Farmer's message he wrote about me.But later this post deleted.(probably by a moderator).
So it was not about you.

-Your tank really looks good for a beginner. You put me in a nostalgic mood:

http://images.google.com.tr/images?hl=t ... a=N&tab=wi

-Good for you that you are open to criticism.I hope others learn something from this.
It obvioust that I have passed the age to need praise.I just say what I think beacuse personally I
can't see much difference between flattery and two facedness.

Regards

ilaymir

without i go too far and go off in Mark's topic, but ilaymir i really not see the point you're talking about.
the links you pasted in look oldie and very far from a nice detailed layout. so i still not see that you're in the position to tell someone at the level of Mark that he is a beginner. however Mark answer to you was really friendly, i feel your comments are rude here on this forum. comments helps on others but maybe it is your english or your attitude, but i feels that you're going too far with your posts. if you have a knowledge help others with helpful comments, but without offend anyone here. thanks in advance.

here's one of mine almost 3 years ago, when i first started seriously

-Lack of comprehension is a serious problem on web forums.(Yeah now I have been rude).

-By the way yes he is nice guy and his layout is very pretty.

Back