• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 120cm 'hill's of desire'

Mark

I am sure you have been asked this before and i am sorry but cant find it.

When taking picss, How do you keep the black background in your photos so black? Mine always looks a little washed out. I sometimes get it right but never quite sure how i do it. (probably luck!)

Any pointers would be much appreciated :thumbup:

andyh said:
When taking picss, How do you keep the black background in your photos so black?

There's a few ways of doing it.

with this tank, it's not to difficult to get a black backdrop. You'll see in the following image that the image is 99% what you see is what you get. i've circled the 2 adjustments....curve boost and highlight contrast boost, but mainly the images already has a black background.

RAW.jpg

as george mentions, you can use the burn tool. i used to use this a lot, but not so much now a days.

when i use the bowens flash heads, i don't need anything to make the background black as most the light goes down and not outwards.

well, black backgrounds are not what there cracked up to be :lol:

anyways, before i go any further, the stems in the back are recovering from a trim. i shouldn't of took any images until 2 weeks time. you see above their great, but as we all should know, they take a week or 2 to green up a bit.

I'm practising for the final images, early I know, but i need to get to grips with how the lighting etc, should be placed.

testbackground1.jpg

many thanks guys.

bless you samc :D thanks mate.

here's a few better ones.

wide angle for this one.

test3.jpg

test4.jpg

The stems still need a few months to really fill out.

wow! cheers guys. I dont think it's amano stylee just yet though. always something to aim for.

here's one of the cherry shrimp that somehow managed to make it's way into the tank o_O

hand held, hence slightly out of focus.

cherry.jpg

Mark,

both the tank and the Red Chery photo looks awesome. blue background drops out nicely the plants. however this much of blue is not my taste the overall impression is great. ;)

the macro shots on RC is beauty. i think this is simply the best closeup whatever i seen nowadays in shrimp photography. :thumbup:

viktorlantos said:
Mark,

both the tank and the Red Chery photo looks awesome. blue background drops out nicely the plants. however this much of blue is not my taste the overall impression is great. ;)

the macro shots on RC is beauty. i think this is simply the best closeup whatever i seen nowadays in shrimp photography. :thumbup:

thanks mate. the blue is a marmite thing i think.

the streaky lines at the top were caused by the ripple effect. the higher the light got the more ripple effect was caused. i quite like it.

the shrimp shot was a lucky one. i did get some great ones of amano shrimp...real sharp, but i've posted an amano one already. o_O

aaronnorth said:
Those fish really dont move do they :lol:

they have a little swimming pattern. they stay in the middle...as you can see, then turn around swim to the front left, then go to right corner then back to middle. and if anything even thinks about coming into that middle spot...well, god help them.

thanks aaron. :thumbup:

Hi Mark,loveing the tank,all looks very healthy and your pics are really very good,
regards john.

john starkey said:
Hi Mark,loveing the tank,all looks very healthy and your pics are really very good,

cheers John, i see yours is looking rather tasty too :D

Vito said:
I have to admit mark that your pictures are the best I've seen.

mate, that's a wonderfully kind thing to say. I'll see what the future holds.....i've upgraded a thing or 2 ;)

IMG_3910-01.jpg

i think someone is in for a bag of fun with the old one too, will be sad to see it go actually.

hydrophyte said:
This tank is looking great Mark. I had not seen it since it grew in some more. Well done!

thanks my friend :D

flygja said:
Full frame goodness!

yep, although i had it on my old 5d. switching has been a breeze apart from my RAW editing software wont read my new files :( but, actually canons raw converter is better than i thought. I will invest in new software though.

files are MASSIVE! I've also recorder some HD footage of the tank....even macro stuff ;)

my work flow is different and i feel it's a chance for me to get out of old habits with regards to colour correction etc.

I'm starting to get some great colours from the rotala now, which is nice. i did think it was going to stay a greeny colour. As per usual, there are many things i wish i could change in the layout, but i have taken note for the future.....again.

test5Dmk2-1.jpg

FTS-1.jpg

Back