• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Re: Saintly's 120cm latest scape

Flyfisherman said:
I use these: Dennerle Check Valves.

they look good mate but at £15 they seem pricey. The JBL is only 5 quid. :thumbup:

LondonDragon said:
Here we go again ;) looking forward to the new scape Mark :)
Nice trim on the cabinet, well done

yet another scape i know :lol: boy, am i up for this though. to maintain everyday!....heaven

George Farmer said:
Looks nice with the tidier gear

the wife likes it to....thankfully. she's rather hard to please :?

George Farmer said:
Which Eheim are you using, Mark?

it's my old pro2. maybe, i could use one of my powerheads, but I'm running this at lower light, co2 and fert levels than I'm used to, so no need for 2 filters and 2 powerheads....i think.

the last scape ended up running with just 1 filter for the last month with no probs.

George Farmer said:
Plant list sound good. Classic NA with an ornamental twist; the clean and fresh looking C. helferi contrasting with the more 'natural' look of the moss, ferns and crypts. I'm sure you'll pull it off very well indeed.

thanks mate. I've grown c helferi really well in the past, and with it's slow growing nature, (unlike vallis) it'll give me the 'vallis' look albeit brighter, but not the valis invasion of space.

JamesM said:
I love seeing empty tanks in situ like this, really gets the mind working :D

I keep switching the lights on and off :p

next week I'll order the moss and tie all my moss stones weeks in advance of planting. I can keep them in a bag for some time. from past experience with moss stones, it can take just as long as the whole plant sorting process. The planting bit is a breeze.

saintly said:
black columbo. it's whats in my nano, and is tremendous stuff. it's clean, holds is shape and is keeping my plants going with NO dosing or co2 what so ever.

Good to hear I've made the right choice then, is there any difference in them like how there is with ADA?
So excited to see the scaping commence, the equipment is great, I use the same check valve. Did you make the rail yourself? I'm on the hunt for one, totally forgot I need one didn't I. :rolleyes:

This low light route has me intriegued! A saintly scape that doesn't look finished after 2 weeks! :p

Garuf said:
A saintly scape that doesn't look finished after 2 weeks! :p

:lol: my nano looks rammed already! magic water mate :lol:

Garuf said:
is there any difference in them like how there is with ADA?

not that I'm aware of.

Garuf said:
Did you make the rail yourself?

yes mate, all homebase stuff. the stuff you use for shelves and a few stainless fittings for the 90 degree angles. not the best, but it looks OK.

I think it might be you know! Bottle it and sell it on!

Plenty good enough for me I'm going to have to get myself down there to see what I can see.

JamesM said:
"This purchased item information is no longer available." :(
My bad.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/High-Grade-Brass- ... 19b7cd9b4e

saintly said:
I'm running this at lower light, co2 and fert levels than I'm used to, so no need for 2 filters and 2 powerheads....i think.
I think you're right.

I'm all for lower light, lower energy, and less hassle myself. Unless you're growing mega-demanding species then IMO there's no point in wasting effort and cash. Even compact growth that some associate with high light can be acheived with good nutrients for most plants. You've already experience this on a few set-ups, of course.

Will you be using 2 x 54w T5? Should be plenty.

saintly said:
my nano looks rammed already! magic water mate :lol:
Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire water is magic. Much better than Norfolk, that's for sure. I can't even get Riccia to pearl in Norfolk tap water!

George Farmer said:
Will you be using 2 x 54w T5? Should be plenty.

you've got it George. that's all I ran on the last scape and the stems loved it. even what I thought was demanding...HM! in fact, that became very invasive.

George Farmer said:
Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire water is magic. Much better than Norfolk, that's for sure. I can't even get Riccia to pearl in Norfolk tap water!

funny you should say that! i've had a few conversations with James, about how my plants pearl in my nano. with no additional help. stems, moss everything pearls. why?

George Farmer said:

im lincolnshire and my plants dont pearl that often. even under 7.5wpg. this may be the flow blowing them away though :D

i am looking foward to this one more by the day ;)

the tank setup looks really good mark, that trim has worked wonders too looks like it was made with the cabinet in mind!

If you're going down the low power route will you still be dosing the full EI that you usually do at startup or will you throttle it back slightly?

stuworrall said:
If you're going down the low power route will you still be dosing the full EI that you usually do at startup or will you throttle it back slightly?

it'll be leaner levels stu. A tank full of lower growers just does not need it. even with possibly a few stems in, i shouldnt need the amounts i usually put in.

I keep referring to my nano, but this thing has made me think differently.

if it were a Dutch scape full of stems, then yes, I'd dose full EI

samc said:
i am looking foward to this one more by the day ;)

aaronnorth said:
Looking forward to the hardscape and planting. Equipment setup looks great.

cheers guys. 8)

I'm really looking forward to this Mark, i'm sure it'll be lovely and it'll be nice for you to have a tank at home for a change.

Nice work on the DIY, it's a huge improvement.

Dan Crawford said:
I'm really looking forward to this Mark, i'm sure it'll be lovely and it'll be nice for you to have a tank at home for a change.

Thanks Dan! A little more DIY, and for me, the best part. we all understand that images look good with good gear etc. but i've always wanted to try and recreate what we see in photos, but to be viewed in 'real time'. i've tried it once @ MA on a temp basis and it looked great.

I've now installed my back lighting and the difference is amazing.The hardscape is purely for demo purposes. it's not a scape in one single way

now the important bit, for these 2 images I used the exact same camera settings. so it should give you a clue as to what it looks like in reality. I think a HD vid maybe in order too.

Without...

without-back-light.jpg

With...

with-back-light.jpg

so you see, the white wall becomes just like 'blown out highlights'

Surprising how much difference it makes that.
I really like the scape. stick it in a 60cm, go on, I dare you! :p

How are you backlighting it? Massive improvement. And I agree with Garuf, get that stuff in a 60! :)

saintly said:
the hardscape is purely for demo purposes. it's not a scape in one single way
I like how your 'random' hardscape selection and placement puts most of ours to shame!

I find it very interesting how good photography can make something pretty average look very good.

If one took the photo with ambient light only that would probably look relatively rubbish. No offence, of course. It just shows how photography (with the right lighting) can make a massive difference. I always thought that's why Amano's work has that real 'wow' factor. Of course, most of his 'scapes are wonderful, but the photography is truly masterful. And I have to say, Mark, your's is superb too...

Thanks for sharing. :D

Garuf said:
really like the scape. stick it in a 60cm, go on, I dare you! :p

rawr said:
And I agree with Garuf, get that stuff in a 60! :)

:lol: you aint met my wife!...you ask her!

rawr said:
How are you backlighting it?

dead simple mate, just 1 x 54wt5 with reflector fitted, running off a controler.

i've screwed brackets to the back to hold it. I'll put them on a timer for evening viewing.

I'm chuffed to bits with my enthusiasm for getting things done....I really am slack, usually.

farmered! :lol: sorry man, posted at same time!

George Farmer said:
I like how your 'random' hardscape selection and placement puts most of ours to shame!

I find it very interesting how good photography can make something pretty average look very good.

If one took the photo with ambient light only that would probably look relatively rubbish. No offence, of course. It just shows how photography (with the right lighting) can make a massive difference. I always thought that's why Amano's work has that real 'wow' factor. Of course, most of his 'scapes are wonderful, but the photography is truly masterful. And I have to say, Mark, your's is superb too...

Thanks for sharing. :D

mate, your so right. lighting is key, shadows and how they fall. The great interview that stu found was a great read. not just the gumi stuff.

George Farmer said:

15 second randomness! 2 types of stone and 2 types of wood. it shouldn't work but strangely does.I guess in a way, the less we think about things the better they turn out. I'm guilty of looking at things way too hard!

George! I'm using the live view rigged up to my HD tv. what a great tool this has turned out to be!

scaping and seeing the scape as it would look in the photo. completely different to looking at in full on. kinda strange, but it works. working, but looking at the TV :geek:

saintly said:
George! I'm using the live view rigged up to my HD tv. what a great tool this has turned out to be!

scaping and seeing the scape as it would look in the photo. completely different to looking at in full on. kinda strange, but it works. working, but looking at the TV :geek:
What a cool idea. I use my live view a lot, but on HD TV? That's another level!

George Farmer said:
What a cool idea. I use my live view a lot, but on HD TV? That's another level!

just get a HDMI cable. bingo!

now from my last post 2 minutes ago, I went random again adding 1 more bit of wood. these are the worst bits of bogwood i've ever seen, but by using a different way of scaping i can see instantly the right angle for shadows and lines. there's no way I'd of done it without.

random.jpg

i wont be using this, but maybe i would in a smaller tank.

Back