• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Re: Saintly's 'savannah dreaming'

Looking good! I think what I love from the larger tanks is the bigger plant type count :)

I have the Boyu inline diffuser too - works very well so far as I can tell, I get a superb mist of bubbles from the lily pipe. For the price it does an excellent job!

Brilliant as always. The planting doesn't seem as dense as usual is that with going low tech or am is it a result of a different way of planting?
I really like the scape, the woods brilliant, rock work fantastic and a really nice spread of plants. I'll be interested to see how it grows out with the soft warmer hue's from the R. rotundifolia.

nry said:
I have the Boyu inline diffuser too - works very well so far as I can tell, I get a superb mist of bubbles from the lily pipe. For the price it does an excellent job!

so true. JamesM pointed me towards it, i bought it, and it sat in my cupbaord for months! doh!

Garuf said:
The planting doesn't seem as dense as usual is that with going low tech or am is it a result of a different way of planting?

not as dense as usual, but the rear is hefty with stems.

r rotundifolia
umbrosum,
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
HM
and vallis, which should fill the rear left and right.

The crypts, i hope should fill the mid left and right over time.

The HC has settled, still early, but looking promising.

I've always liked the combo of H polysperma Rosanervig and R. rotundifolia, I've used it before in my very first tank and the colour playing of each of the plants is brilliant, they really conjured up images of cherry blossom and spring when they show their colours. Hp Rosanervig I found to take on a subtler, more pastelle shade than it's blood red that it often comes on but that could be a response to my dosing/light.

now the waters cleared, you can see its relativity dense regards to planting.

topdown.jpg

Garuf said:
I've always liked the combo of H polysperma Rosanervig and R. rotundifolia,

its a first for me mate, but i'm excited :D

Hygrophila was the first ever plant i put in a tank. thankfully, it grew. if it'd been any other plant, and died i don't think I'd be going today.

looks really good Mark. :thumbup:

On the diffuser isn't this too much of a mist in the tank? i mean is this distract the eyes or it's not visible that much?
i would like to give it a try but i would not like to see a big mist cloud in the tank. :D

Very cool video, Mark!

I'm sold on the Boyu reactor! Looks fantastic, especially combined with decent water circulation. My only minior niggle is the visible CO2 bubbles everywhere that spoil photography to an extent, but the trade-off is the evidence that CO2 is getting all over nicely. :thumbup:

Do they restrict flow at all, do you think? I really notice a difference between my two filters; one with the Hydor external heater fitted, and one without. It's very apparent when I drop the waterline whilst performing water changes.

Regarding the 'scape I think the pink hygro is an interesting addition and one I have recently considered myself. You'll be pruning it regularly to keep it in the desired form, and some aerial roots may form, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Keep up the good work!

viktorlantos said:
On the diffuser isn't this too much of a mist in the tank? i mean is this distract the eyes or it's not visible that much?

no, viktor. Its actually less visiblbe than a glass diffuser. when viewing at 'normal' distance, you cant see them that much :thumbup:

George Farmer said:
Very cool video, Mark!

cheers bud!

George Farmer said:
My only minior niggle is the visible CO2 bubbles everywhere that spoil photography to an extent, but the trade-off is the evidence that CO2 is getting all over nicely. :thumbup:

For image taking, my practise is to switch off co2, minimise flow too. i've noticed, after night time addition og O2, water is always clearer in the morning, so i may start to take images in the mornings. :D

George Farmer said:
Do they restrict flow at all, do you think?

not that much if I'm honest. With the koralia by it's side, there's plenty of flow.

George Farmer said:
You'll be pruning it regularly to keep it in the desired form, and some aerial roots may form, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

This did cross my mind. I've added just one bunch so it does not over take everything else. it'll be trimmed just below the 'wood/bolbitis' line, so you shouldn't see too much in the way of roots. :D ...i hope

I've added, at planting stage, a few stems of a plant i found in a stream. It's also looking nice. similar to HM but with smaller rounded leaves. The 'roatal green UK variety is looking good too. :thumbup:

Here's where i've got a few 'UK stems' from. Just several cuttings.

This lane is alive with water life. Even the unused tracter lines are full of life...frog spawn, aquatic and semi aquatic plants.

lane-2.jpg

Heres the stem, like HM

lane-3.jpg

and here's the same plant in a tractor rut.it looks like duck weed, but is in fact a stem plant

lane.jpg

can i just add. if people do decide to go routing for plants etc, just be careful not to disturb too much wildlife, and take just a few stems. We don't want to butcher our natural world.

Wow... how did you pan around so smoothly? That inline reactor is really nice by the way, I'd be interested in seeing whether its performance degrades over time and how easy is it to clean. Keep us updated!

flygja said:
Wow... how did you pan around so smoothly?

with great difficulty flygja. my tripod isn't the best :crazy:

flygja said:
I'd be interested in seeing whether its performance degrades over time and how easy is it to clean. Keep us updated!

me too. I may just get the other branded diffuser to try, and if one gets dirty i can swap whilst cleaning the other. :D

A little bit of info. i've swapped my ADA MH for my arcadia luminaire. The NAMH 150w lamp is horrid. way to yellow for my liking. The NAG green, i bet is nice.

i've switched to my 54wt osram 8800. much nicer.

here's the difference. Much fresher. Greens are vibrant.

osram-8800.jpg

here's the stem i got from a stream.

uk-stem.jpg

A small update.

HC always makes me nervous in the first week, but this stuff has settled in a treat. (wipes brow) at eye level it looks like riccia with the amount of pearling.

I really cant emphasise enough how good inline diffusers are. Every plant in the tank, is pearling. and starts at about 1 hour in from lights on.

the bolbitis is losing it's leaves but new ones are showing readily.

I'm wondering whether to put some hydrocotle in?....

This setup is looking great Mark!

You sure can handle a camera well. Who would have imagined a tractor rut looking so beautiful?

saintly said:

tomsteer said:
Awesome video, tank looks great and the inline difuser is great.

cheers bud

hydrophyte said:
Who would have imagined a tractor rut looking so beautiful?

These woods are really special to me now. I look at the place in a different way, looking deeper than just the trees :D

Here's a couple of shots of the rear stems.not visible from the front, but in time they'll peer over the top.

This is the stem i took from a local river, which resembles rotala sp. green. It's absolutely loving the conditions. hence the pearling.

ROTALA-UK-GREEN.jpg

you can just see at the bottom of the pic, the other stem found. plus rotala rotundifolia.

rotala-green-uk.jpg

Trimming time. The bolbitis was looking unhealthy, or at least the old leaves were. I've trimmed off bad leaves, and surprisingly there's a tone of new stuff underneath the old.

Thanks to jamesm for the advice. :thumbup:

before...

before.jpg

after

after.jpg

just need it to grow back now....now damn it! :twisted:

Back