• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

Re: Saintly's 'savannah dreaming' @ 2 months

grandb3rry said:
How do you trim HC? Wouldn't you end up with having a lot of leaf debris in ye tank?

angled scissors my friend. You do end up with a mass of tiny leaves on the surface, But in this open top tank it's easy to net everything.

Once 90% is netted I add the second korolia, point it at the stems, leave it run over night and all the trapped leaves etc which you cant get all dislodged and end up in one corner of the tank in the morning :thumbup:

grandb3rry said:
Rarely see something so stunning! I absolutely love it mate! You have officially balanced a natural layout and I'm proud of you dude! :thumbup: :thumbup: :clap:

cheers Arthur. :D

flygja said:
Goodness gracious.. that HC looks good enough to eat!

Thanks flygja :thumbup:

Tonser said:
it should be a 'killer tip' on the forum :lol:

Mate, tip of the century for HC growers.

Tonser said:
Did you consider mosses on the branches ?

I did, then thought it'd be fine without, but slowly i'm wondering whether to add some now. Not much, but just little bits. you maybe right Tony. :D

keymaker said:
I would suggest you try to use larger aperture values with your photography (if lighting would permit), we would like to admire the in-depth long-shots of your tank, with full focus on all that beauty.

i'll try that for you keymaker :thumbup:

john starkey said:
Amazing growth Mark,looks first class mate :thumbup: ,

Thanks matey. hope your well 8)

samc said:
your messing with my head though. i fancy another nature layout every time i come back to check this out :twisted:

might get the old box of wood out now and go have a play. damn you :lol:

:lol: I'm the same. I get an idea in my head which I'm 100% committed to, then I see an amano tank, and think
'damn! I want to do something like that!' then I'm only 70% committed to the initial idea. torture!

The Tank is ticking over nicely.As each day goes by, I fall in love with crypts more and more. Their 'density' becomes bigger too.

Also, my next scape is all ready to go when this is over.

I have a very clear image in my head of what's in going to be. and for the first time, it'll be based around my idea and will actually have a 'personal meaning too' it will represent something!
it wont have no hardscape what so ever.....and it's not Dutch!

Re: Saintly's 'savannah dreaming' @ 9 weeks

russchilds said:
Wow!!! Looks brilliant!! The HC is amazing! :)

cheers mate. :thumbup:

I forgot the weekly update image. These must be getting boring by now, and with Tonser uber scape, this isn't in the same league :)

anyway, here's from today.I'm starting to get some pink hues from the hygro and rotala.

9-weeks.jpg

I think to even the balance out, the HM to the right must go, or i add something to the left.

lovely bushy garden you have there Mark :thumbup:
HC carpet shape looking sweet, and your background forest is also amazing. maybe this hide too much of your excellent stone and wood scape, but i can't resist of this excellent stem forest. :clap:

You know its lovely, lush and healthy...BUT what is Savannah? I never really thought about it, but now im going to be a*n*l because im in that mood... :twisted:

Savannah means golden; its Sanskrit root and hence golden Savannah grasslands. But this is lush green edge of forest. Maybe its Savannah after the rains. Yeah anyway, it doesnt matter ofcourse. :p

sanj said:
You know its lovely, lush and healthy...BUT what is Savannah? I never really thought about it, but now im going to be a*n*l because im in that mood... :twisted:

Savannah means golden; its Sanskrit root and hence golden Savannah grasslands. But this is lush green edge of forest. Maybe its Savannah after the rains. Yeah anyway, it doesnt matter ofcourse. :p

i try sometimes to name the tank from the opposite side to reality. The 'dreaming' part is a savannah, dreaming of being green.

same with my 'miracle mire' tank. A mire isn't nice, but then a miracle happens.

first page updated with info on tank. To coincide with the recently posted topic on journals. :thumbup:

some new additions in the form of, columbian red fin tetras.

RED-FIN.jpg

Their gorgeous things Sam. I did read on them before getting them, namely John rundle (pfk)

it's early to say what their really like, but if they do get aggressive, they'll go.

They can get really nasty. I've read a case where the poster had to isolate them because they ate the tails of an entire shoal of neon tetras. They're really pretty fish though so it's a shame. Seapre tetras are another group that are nippy.

I had 10 of these in a community, never had a problem with them, stunning fish, nice size and colour, not seen too often....

I looked at plenty of info on them, and on the whole, most people did say they were ok even with other, smaller tetras.

I nearly bought Congo tetras, but they were a bit too 'fancy'

saintly said:
some new additions in the form of, columbian red fin tetras.

RED-FIN.jpg

These fish are lovely. There was a thread on planetcatfish.com where someone had put together a really huge biotope setup for some-or-another large L-numper plec and they included a large shoal of these or a similar tetra species. The effect was perfect.

hydrophyte said:
There was a thread on planetcatfish.com where someone had put together a really huge biotope setup for some-or-another large L-numper plec and they included a large shoal of these or a similar tetra species. The effect was perfect.

i'll try to check it out devin. thanks.

Here's one showing the crypts. Their taking on a nice look now and getting rather big.

I love the 'plastic' look

crypt.jpg

co2 needs increasing as there's a bit of algae on the wood.

Re: Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' @ 9 weeks

FishBeast said:
Which variety of crypt is this? I love it.

It's wendetii 'tropica'

I also have bullosa in the tank which looks similar, but slightly larger leaves. both bullated. :thumbup:

Re: Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' @ 9 weeks

Jase said:
The tank looks really smart Mark, the HC looks soooo much better after the trim too. Surprising how much of a difference it has made.

thanks mate. :D

The tank is in overdrive at the moment, and is becoming a chew to maintain....stems at least.

Last night I finally got the scissors out to tidy things up.

The rotala, hygro, umbrosum and HM are all bushing up and becoming dense...A little too dense.

I think one problem is the 45cm height! I'd like to one day try something along the same lines but in a 60 or 70cm tall tank. The current 45cm is constrained a little.

After trim no. 5

trim-5.jpg

The HC will be next, in a few days.

Cheers folks

Back