• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Saintly's 240L 'savannah dreaming' scape finished

George Farmer said:
I think there's something in the air. A few of us have lost a bit of interest in the hobby lately. Must be the weather!

Great journal though mate. Taught us loads, and no doubt you've learnt a lot too. That's what it's all about!
You guys have achieved so much in such a short time. I guess the UKAPS has reached to a point where all (!) the biological, technical and spiritual info is present.

Many have reached a level of true aquascaping professionalism here and they just do not know how to continue. It's natural. Like the runner who has just crossed the finish line being first for the fourth consecutive race and he says to himself "ok, but what's the point?" ;)

Others have just made a couple of stunning scapes but have some problems understanding some minor details (like what the h. is happening to my bolbitis :D ) and they might just feel that there's not enough time to reach deeper knowledge.

Well, while there is a different point of interest for each of us - let me tell you mine. Two things. One - while I am extremely busy with my work, the maintenance of a tank is a routine that just turned into a calming pleasure. Two - the sight of the "living nature" in my room and the reminder that "we are not alone" :D is just so strong, that I would not give up on it.

It is not a mainly a competition or learning thing for me anymore - it is a reminder and a "flow-experience" (BTW this famous chap was a Hungarian living in the US 8) ) - and it became a way of life, if you wish. I also understand if one has to take a break, life is just too overwhelming sometimes. :idea:

well everyone, i've just rescasped the 120 in about 20 minutes flat. what you see is what you get. Planting is ridiculously simple too. (not planted yet) 8)

keymaker said:
Others have just made a couple of stunning scapes but have some problems understanding some minor details (like what the h. is happening to my bolbitis :D ) and they might just feel that there's not enough time to reach deeper knowledge.

maybe I'm just not good enough...i've always said i'm 'lucky' :D

keymaker said:
Sure Mate, that's how we know you. :D And thats why we picked your name out of a hat for this. :D

:oops: yes, sorry. It's just a trate of mine...self confidence.... or lack of it sometimes.

Nice work Mark, this was a lovely aquascape, great materials, health, plant choice and the photography was on the button. I'm sure your new tank will be equally stunning and with such a contrast to this it'll make a refreshing change to the norm.

FishBeast said:
I can't wait to see the final pictures.

:oops: There aren't any. soz man.i'll try and get some of the ones i have :thumbup:

Dan Crawford said:
Nice work Mark, this was a lovely aquascape, great materials, health, plant choice and the photography was on the button. I'm sure your new tank will be equally stunning and with such a contrast to this it'll make a refreshing change to the norm.

cheers dan. I'm looking forward to a hassle free tank....hopefully. :D

Hi Mark,
hope it helps if you hear that I´m unhappy with last tank too :? Everything is looking fine - all plants are good quality but somehow it has no soul. Multiple things I wish to change. Working hard last time, days are short too - not much time to think about the hobby. need some time to pass and we will see :angelic: :wave:

Hey jur4ik! hows it going.

yeah, somehow it's easy to lose interest. somehow i was getting burnt out. The latest tank was basically an exercise in trying to relight my 'artistic' fires. It's worked...I'm fired up again. I've never been one to give up too easy.

I´m fine
except the fact I can´t go on holidays this summer and the weather is definitely too hot to work in a suit and tie.
By the way, you remember I told you about my college visit to london 2011? I will be there from 29 of January till 19th February. Would be great to meet some of the UKAPS members.

Refreshing this topic as I really love your scape Mark (actually most of your scapes :D ).
One question regarding stems - how do you deal with old leafs when e.g. HM ball gets bigger. Are you not having problems with older leafs not getting enough light and dying? Also how do you deal with all the dirt accommodating around bottom parts of such bushes? I've a lot smaller tank and it is not easy to suck it off when doing w/c without damaging the plants / ripping off some of the roots.

schraptor said:
Are you not having problems with older leafs not getting enough light and dying?

Yes mate, it will happen; there's not a lot you can, or for that matter, want to do about it. I've noticed you've got plant growing skills and this count's for a lot. The bush that you have is strong and now can take significant amounts of pruning.

The older leaves will in time be buried by the new growth that comes through, and will be out of site.

Take a look at Amano, he's the master at trimming and in some scapes (I'll find a brilliant example) of the lower parts of his stems.

Back