• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
saintly said:
this Marsilea hirsuta is a lovely plant. kinda like a butterfly ?.....

it's sprouting real well now.
_MG_2142-01.jpg

Hey Mark, it's looking really nice mate, congrats!

Quick question about the Marsilea. Is it still in emersed form? I'm guessing not if it's sprouting new leaves. I thought in submerged form it looked a lot like Glosso? Or am I getting my Marsilea species mixed up?

Great photos as always :)

it was in it's emerged form, but you trim down to an inch long with nothing put it's ugly lopoking stem, then plant in clumps of 3. it sends up new growth rapidly. then trim again and it should get denser.

i'm using it as an accent

i did try it in a "practise" tank before this one :D

i plant to cover all this on plantedbox

thanks for the reply Steve! means a lot i can tell ya

samc said:
never really seen Marsilea hirsuta used well so ill look foward to seeing how that will fill out

i too am interested in seeing what happens. My right corner is going to be a challenge! I've got tennellus runners all over the place, the HC is doing what it should, the marsilea sprouting out and e acicularis spreading....pretty soon it's going to merge :? let it grow out?.....see what happens kinda a deal i guess!

Here's yesterday before trim....

_MG_2601-02.jpg

and here's today after yesterdays trim...

aftertrim.jpg

the Alternanthera reineckii was trimmed 2 days before...it had reached the top :lol:

The left and right side stems should be due a haircut just after the weekend

Looking good Mark, like how its turning out now, will look even better once that HC fills the front of the tank, you should let it grow and merge, most of the times looks great and natural that way, worth a try.

thanks guys.

heres a closer look at the right hand side. you can see what happening. tenellus is getting the chop soon :p

_MG_2630-01.jpg

stuworrall said:
how do you go about trimming tennelus?

once established, just trim it down to about 1cm. it'll grow back shorter and redder.The rednes, dont come untill trimmed regardless of light IME

In my MA scape i had it growing real small and red. i still need a ton of practise with the stuff, but the skills come slowly.

saintly said:
stuworrall said:
how do you go about trimming tennelus?

once established, just trim it down to about 1cm. it'll grow back shorter and redder.The rednes, dont come untill trimmed regardless of light IME

In my MA scape i had it growing real small and red. i still need a ton of practise with the stuff, but the skills come slowly.
cool thanks for that, do you trim it at an angle so you dont get square ends?

stuworrall said:

not sure what you mean mate, just cut it like grass. remember though it needs to be established sending out runners. in the past, when ive trimmed it, it's grown back literally over night....or at least 1-2 cm's it's crazy stuff...or can be

saintly said:
stuworrall said:

not sure what you mean mate, just cut it like grass. remember though it needs to be established sending out runners. in the past, when ive trimmed it, it's grown back literally over night....or at least 1-2 cm's it's crazy stuff...or can be
I was thinking that with the grass when you trim it its that thin that you wont see the cut ends. with the tennelus some of the blades are quite wide so cutting them might make them look like rectangles. hope that makes sense!

yeah absolute sense, but the cut leaves will die in time, also your looking for a carpet effect? either way you wont see it.

i think tenellus can be a real versatile plant. leave it to grow tall for mid ground or cut it for small foreground. you cant say that with many plants. other than stems

saintly said:
samc said:
hey mark, do you have any pics of it in the shorter form? im still woundering what i could use

not really. it got swamped by the blyxa. :lol:

Lol, that stuff is evil. I had a row of P.Helferi just above my bog wood, the blyxa has pushed so much into it that the P. Helferi has disappeared, i'm not sure if it has uprooted it or what!

Hi mark,I've been following this setup from start to now waiting to see how it evolves,well in my opinion it's one of your best so far,I admire how you have gone 100 percént Into growing plants,and you Certainly have become good at it,
Respect were it's due,
Regards john

john starkey said:
Hi mark,I've been following this setup from start to now waiting to see how it evolves,well in my opinion it's one of your best so far,I admire how you have gone 100 percént Into growing plants,and you Certainly have become good at it,
Respect were it's due,
Regards john

well john, thanks mate. long time no speak eh?..... :D

dedication is my middle name. This hobby is turning into more of an artistic hobby for me,rather than the technicalities of growing plants, and has replaced my music days. I honestly get so engrossed in new scapes it's beyond belief....

thanks john for the nice words. 8)

lill update, 3 weeks in and were on all cylinders! everything is co2 saturated, the pearling is awsome! there's nothing that isnt covered in bubbles :lol:

so, there's the odd stem that i may take out. i have a lovely little gap in the middle that i just didnt think would work but it does. my altenthera is now recovered after it's trim and is storming ahead in growth. it's WAY faster than i thought it'd be.

anubias is producing a ton of new growth, i'm hoping for some flowers :D

pretty soon there'll be a trim of the smaller leave stems, so i'll have some bits and bobs going begging...cant promise they'll travel well though...they'll also be free too.

IMG_2836-01.jpg

Back