• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
saintly said:
thanks steve, kind of you. :thumbup:

which glass bud? diffusers or lillys? i cant remember what lillys, but there from AE bubble counter is dazs from ebay i think and anew diffuser from AE.

IMG_9991-01.jpg

Hi Mark,
i have the same bubble counter as yours,i notice that you dont have much water inside yours,i keep mine filled to about 3/4 full,any reason why you have yours like that?
regards john.

john starkey said:
i have the same bubble counter as yours,i notice that you dont have much water inside yours,i keep mine filled to about 3/4 full,any reason why you have yours like that?
regards john.

no reason really john. i do loose a little water over time, but as long as there's enough to count the bubble then i feel that's ok. :D

i'm not sure if it affects performance or not?

few weeks ago I met a guy from Dennerle, he told to use multiple non return valves to avoid such issues :
1.between the difusor and the bubble counter
2.under the bubble counter

Would Someone (Saintly ideally!) be able to tell me what plants A and B are, as I would like some for my very own!

Thanks - LOVELY tank by the way
Ger

gerlewis said:
be able to tell me what plants A and B are, as I would like some for my very own!

Sam's right. HM on the left and riccia. not dwarf variety. the HM has proven to be a real nice stem plant, keeping a bush form without much effort. it takes to pruning real good too.

The riccia i use just because it gives an instant effect without much effort. although I don't give the riccia the attention it deserves, leaving it to it's own devices lends itself to a "natural" look.

HM can get invasive, creeping at least 3 inches towards the front until i chopped it....a mistake IMO

mailcopy.jpg

eveningtime.jpg

here's a random one of my ram...

ram1.jpg

and one of tertas...from ages ago

tetras.jpg

looking over this whole tank, i now sit in the same camp as George regards to a 2D foreground. the problem being i didn't allow enough space between wood and glass loosing the illusion of depth, also the wood gives a concave shape instead of the more 3D convex effect it should have, to make the tank appear deeper.

so George, I retract on my comments earlier :angelic: your right!...i just cant take criticism :oops:

Dan Crawford said:
I'm loving the photos Mark, really creative :thumbup:

thanks Dan, still room for a ton of improvement though.

saintly said:
so George, I retract on my comments earlier :angelic: your right!...i just cant take criticism :oops:
I think criticism is harder to take once one gets more confident in one's ability. It's like, "who are you to tell me how to 'scape my tank?" But you put your tank up on a forum and it's bound to get some feedback, not all of which is an ego-massage.

I used to have similar feelings, especially when relatively inexperienced people give their advice/critique. But try to realise it's usually all well-intended, so try not to take it as a personal dig.

If you remember I gave you a lot of guidance and constructive criticism in your 'early' days. Remember a very similar comment about 2D foregrounds with your first 60cm Iwagumi? It had a plain HC foreground and you did something about it without taking offense. What has changed?

I'm trying to help, you and others, believe it or not! :thumbup:

so you see the 2 riccia balls?....

IMG_0150-01.jpg

there now gone in an attempt to make the foreground more defined.

this was today before i've trimmed things...kinda gives me an idea as to what a cube may look like.

returnofthered.jpg

sloping the HC from front to back via trimming is working. it helps to give depth. I'm still wishing I'd put the hardscape further back.

this is highly unlikely going to be entered into anything that resembles a competition, due to little things being adrift. i now know the problems.

so, HC flattened and shaped, riccia gone....i've now got itchy fingers to move on to the manzi wood :p

Back