• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's"henge the revenge the 3rd and final installment"

Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

Tonser said:
I like the blue background, though for me Id look to desaturate it a bit :)

i think i know what you mean....i must point out this was with just 2 24w tubes pointing up the back, so little control.

when you say desaturate, do you mean in colour?, light?....explain it to me matey. :D

saintly said:
i must point out this was with just 2 24w tubes pointing up the back, so little control.

Aha, I must read threads properly before posting :oops: :lol: I hadnt realised the sky light was from 2 tubes. If you could control it, this is how I'd like to see the sky, with the blues desaturated (ie less vivid) particularly lower down, and the light forming more of a central glow, rather than a vertical strip up the middle - it looks more natural and draws the eye into the scape.

Of course its easily done in PS, but not so easy to light it this way, unless you have a lot of space behind the tank. The best way to shoot it like this would be to have your backdrop hanging a few feet behind the tank, so you could get a flashhead in there firing straight at it, or even better have the backdrop just a foot away from the tank, and backlight it with a flashhead maybe 4 feet behind the backdrop (this is how Amano does his blue skies) :D

Tony

Saintlys_sky1.jpg

I really like the foreground in this - very natural and well-exectuted, and the overall look is very good.

I do have one niggle though, and I suspect you know what it is, Mark... From my perspective, the main stone looks to upright and unbalanced in terms of harmonising with the remaining rocks. Once the plants have grown in the effect will be muted, but as a main focal point I can't help thinking it can improved a little. I realise you had limited rocks to use though, so understand. Maybe if it were sloped down to the center a little? Or would that cause havoc?

Please forgive me if you are happy with it though. We all see things differently, and that's part of what makes us what we are.

Tank is looking great now that its planted, your photography just keeps getting better Mark, like the new style more than previous, the more light you guys are putting into the photography the better results I am seeing.
Keep it up, can't want to watch this tank mature and enjoy the photos :)

ermmm, thanks guys.

what with 2D foregrounds, and main stones, my confidence is taking a battering :lol:

well this may be over before its even started, bad news in the wings :arghh:

saintly said:
well this may be over before its even started, bad news in the wings :arghh:
what do you mean Mark? :?

Jur4ik said:
what do you mean Mark? :?

well, through fault of my own and for circumstances i cant go into publicly, the tanks may be run by staff 100% or not at all. i need to feel 100% confident in the running of these set ups whilst i'm not there, and with the odd change here and there (staff wise) i cant relax.

anyway, it may give me my hardscape back and practise a bit more.

Tonser said:
That sounds like beurocratic health and safety crap to me ! Get them to pay you a fiver a week, and make you "staff" :lol:

mate, i did consider that, but i'm a stupidly busy guy and to be able to choose to iun at weekends suits me.

it's the "in the week" deal. 1 WC missed....oh i forgot to dose for 2 days. cant change co2 cylinder....all bad things in a high tech tank.

saintly said:
ermmm, thanks guys.

what with 2D foregrounds, and main stones, my confidence is taking a battering :lol:
My apologies if my critiques are knocking your confidence, Mark. They're meant to be entirely constructive and I've tried to word my posts in such a manner. :D

100% "great tank" feedback is nice, of course, but not entirely constructive IMVHO.

I'll keep my big gob shut in future! :lol:

George Farmer said:
My apologies if my critiques are knocking your confidence, Mark. They're meant to be entirely constructive and I've tried to word my posts in such a manner. :D

100% "great tank" feedback is nice, of course, but not entirely constructive IMVHO.

no apologies needed. and i never look for the 100%feedback, I trust your views, this is why your an AGA judge. but i think your aware, that we all like different things. there have been many times you've sayed that something was brilliant or great, when in my eyes it wasn't.for example...sorry to use Graeme, but the branch in "bones of the earth"....it does not fit IMVHO, but you love it. but if i was to say it, god help me....

i guess it's all perspective. some people like to see clouds, and others like to see clear blue skies :angelic:

saintly said:
George Farmer said:

no apologies needed. and i never look for the 100%feedback, I trust your views, this is why your an AGA judge. but i think your aware, that we all like different things. there have been many times you've sayed that something was brilliant or great, when in my eyes it wasn't.for example...sorry to use Graeme, but the branch in "bones of the earth"....it does not fit IMVHO, but you love it. but if i was to say it, god help me....

i guess it's all perspective. some people like to see clouds, and others like to see clear blue skies :angelic:
Very good points, Mark. Thanks.

Re. Graeme's tank - well, you've said it now!! :lol: But I would reserve full judgement until you've seen it in the flesh, like I did... It's a very difference aquascape in terms of size and viewability from 4-sides that no photo can convey.

And so on reflection, I expect your two tanks I've commented on recently look much better in the flesh too, even with your superb photography! :D

What type of background are you using Mark to get the blue effect??

George Farmer said:
But I would reserve full judgement until you've seen it in the flesh, like I did... It's a very difference aquascape in terms of size and viewability from 4-sides

true mate, and i DO appreciate what's gone into it. :D I'll see it shortly....

George Farmer said:
I expect your two tanks I've commented on recently look much better in the flesh too, even with your superb photography! :D

no mate :lol: they still look like they do in the images.

johnny70 said:
What type of background are you using Mark to get the blue effect??

hi mate, its a graduated background from light blue through to white. IM short E you need a background wider than the tank. if you can get space between the tank and background, light it from the ground up, it does look immense. i will be pursuing this in my future tanks at home.

TDI-line said:
Looks brilliant Mark, those rocks are great. :clap:

:angelic:

saintly said:

Sorry I haven't replied lately bud, some guy called Mark has had me locked up in a cupboard working on site updates :shifty:

That pic is stunning, the background really suits the layout imo, and you know I hate blue backgrounds! lol. Can't wait to see this puppy fill in... hope things go well at MA for ya too :)

saintly said:

Too late, ive read it :crazy: :D

Graeme Edwards said:
Too late, ive read it :crazy: :D

I'm almost 100% certain Graeme, you know i've said this in a constructive way. and it's also VERY apparent
JamesM said:
Sorry I haven't replied lately bud, some guy called Mark has had me locked up in a cupboard working on site updates :shifty:

That pic is stunning, the background really suits the layout imo, and you know I hate blue backgrounds! lol. Can't wait to see this puppy fill in... hope things go well at MA for ya too :)
that "bones of the earth" is truly special. it's just the wood, in the images, that don't sit right. but with that said, i have not seen it in the flesh, so it's a little unfair for me to give judgement. it was mentioned before by tom bar if i remember?.... :angelic:

:wave: i'll let you rest soon :lol:

Back