• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's"henge the revenge the 3rd and final installment"

Mark Evans

Expert
:lol:

I'm playing with stones again.

this is the build up process to the final layout.

as you can see I'm going for a graded foreground like i did in miracle mire. this layout also contains a ton of dividers....crucial IMO. you can see them in one of the images.

plants maybe, moss crypts and grass.

layouts1.jpg

layouts2.jpg

this ISN'T the final layout ;)

let me know what you think peeps :D

Re: saintly's MA potentialy low light IWAGUMI

Looking good to me, but too much detail for an iwagumi no? which will just get covered up eventually :p
which type of rock is that? looking for some nice rocks for my nano at the moment.

LondonDragon said:
but too much detail for an iwagumi no?

not really mate. i've seen some amano tanks with way more detail than this ;)

the foreground isn't going to be covered neither.

thanks paulo.

aaronnorth said:
for once i cant pick a fault! You must be getting good at this :lol: ;)

double post! :p

cheers mate. it's actually becoming so damn enjoyable to create these stone layouts. the only down side is, i ALWAYS end up being 2 stones short. i need to make my stock pile bigger...much bigger.

i'll have the final layout @ the weekend. I'm living with the images to see where i can change things.

the mid ground bit what you see, is 98% finished. i've added some smaller foreground stones. and the rear can be changed at will.

i've got the planting in my head, so all should look different in the end.

saintly said:
the foreground isn't going to be covered neither.
In that case its perfect then ;) so its a half iwagumi :p

LondonDragon said:
In that case its perfect then ;) so its a half iwagumi :p

:lol: thats it mate....IWA...GUMI. you choose!

yeah, there's a brilliant takishi scape where he uses mosses etc and it's half and half.

at the end of the day, we all copy gumis so i've not done anything out of the ordinary.

i want to go for "easy" it also helps to sell a bit of sand and stone. also gives people a chance to see what's actually possible with sand and stone.

stuworrall said:
excellent layout mark, nice to see a half gumi as well :) looking forward to see how it looks planted and in a final arrangement

what rock is it by the way? mini landscape?

thanks stu.

yes, it's good old mini landscape rock. :D ...old faithful.

just to add, this layout has a little more to it in the final image....a few more stones.

It's a wonderful layout Mark, really nice but i can't help but think it's a bit small in comparison to the tank?
It would be truly delightful in a 90 x 36 x 36 or something!

Dan Crawford said:
It's a wonderful layout Mark, really nice but i can't help but think it's a bit small in comparison to the tank?
It would be truly delightful in a 90 x 36 x 36 or something!

i don't get what you mean mate?. :D

the tank is 90 x 40 x 50 or 60. so it's almost your dimensions. the "main" stone is taller in the final image.

i've tried to create the illusion of one stone with several.

This is the layout as it currently stands. there are tweaks to be made....that's why i didn't really want to post it. but it gives a better impression.

now, what you must understand is, that all the gaps are to be filled with plants etc.

another rule i've discovered is....

when doing iwagumi, the main stone/focal point must exceed or at least hit the half way mark on the tank ;) which this does.....just. (thanks to Stan for that info)

IMG_8314-01.jpg

This is gonna be a good'un for sure. ;) I like your planting choice too.

Sorry for not being clear mate, the stones were too small for the tank IMO. The latest layout is even better :D

Dan Crawford said:
Sorry for not being clear mate, the stones were too small for the tank IMO. The latest layout is even better :D

cheers dan :D

rawr said:
This is gonna be a good'un for sure. ;) I like your planting choice too.

thanks thomas.

i've got another layout with the odd variation which is maybe better than this one. but we'll see.

IMG_8314-01.jpg

Very nice, Mark!

I would have liked to see more height in the right rock mound but realise you've only got so many rocks.

The graded open foreground is really effective. I can see this style becoming even more popular, especially in set ups where growing carpets may be an issue. I've even used it recently in a biotope set-up!

That's going to be another stunner I think mate :) Graded gravel is really getting popular now, and I think you've done a great job with it!

I wonder if graded gravels/rock work could become the UK "thing"? 8)

SteveUK said:
I wonder if graded gravels/rock work could become the UK "thing"? 8)

it may well be. although i've seen it done abroad, but not to the standard set by the britrish.

thanks steve.

George Farmer said:
I would have liked to see more height in the right rock mound but realise you've only got so many rocks.

:lol: me too! belive me i tried, and still trying mate. this aint finished yet.

the left side is weak too, it the composition. i used a stone from the right and used it on the left...it worked a treat but then no stone for the right. looks like i gota dip my hand in my pocket....again!

Back