• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's MA 120x 50 x 70cm scape.5months old

Mark Evans

Expert
i just cant stop :lol:

The tank's on order. its a 120 x 50 x 70H

The plan is to create a scape that's a little easier to maintain. lower light, leaner dosing regimes and easier to grow plants such as crypts ferns and anubias'. oh and a e acicualsris foreground! :wideyed: i'll still be injecting co2 via a jbl system.

the inspiration is coming from amano's early work. NA book 1 and 3 (thanks george, i will return promise)

The reasoning?.... to inspire new comers to the hobby..... now i know not everyone has a 120cm, but it's is long term and size does matter, oooeeer. i wish it could of been a 6 footer

JBL are on board with this tank too, I've yet to arrange a dosing regime for the tank but of course it's not going to be like the last MA scape.

lighting will consist of 2 x 54w hot5
substrate is to be 30 L of aqua basis plus and a capping substrate of some kind. i'm using filter's provided by jbl and I'll also include korolias to aid water movement.

well thats got the ball rolling..... ;)

Re: saintly's MA "long term" scape.

Quality! Is this replacing the current one, or going alongside?
Interested to see what you come up with, as I seem to be drifting more towards the easier to maintain side of things with anubias etc :)

Hi Mark,
you are mad for it at the moment,hope you come up with something very interesting,

take care john.

gratts said:
Quality! Is this replacing the current one, or going alongside?

well for a while, it'll be along side. when the old "high tech" scape finishes i may rescape using riccia as the focal point. it seems to be a crowd pleaser.

gratts said:
as I seem to be drifting more towards the easier to maintain side of things with anubias etc :)

yes, anubias' microsorum, crypts, e acicualris (should develop nice given a long time) i'd like to put a lilly in there too, but need to investigate first. mosses on wood etc. i've claimed the only decent bit of wood thats left i the store ;)

hey john. i'm like a nutty professor at the moment! :p

samc, the closest i cam to a slow growing set up was "the miracle mire" which contained crypts and ferns, but even they grew at a stupid rate due to a high tech system. so in answer to your question?....no :lol:

i'm hoping it should be a bit more manageable, for the staff mostly.

i'm doing some research and i'm discovering from the great CEG that co2 injection makes the tank high tech. so this tank is high tech now, with low tech plants! i'm happier running co2.

looking at amano long term scapes he still uses co2, so i'm safe going down this road.

Sounds interesting and I'm sure you'll do a great job. Something like Supercoley's tank (the one with all the ferns) would be cool...

JBL don't like nitrates and phosphates... will you be dosing them? I suppose with slow growing plants maybe you wouldn't need to? Maybe you could put in some messy fish and feed them a lot! Angels?

aaronnorth said:
It would be interesting to see you do a tank without CO2 injection, especially seeing as this is to encourage newcomers into the hobby who generaly are scared of injecting CO2/ pressurized systems.

good point aaron, and one i did consider,but,....JBL really wanted me to use there co2 system so that was that. (I'm not complaing though) after seeing what George has done without co2 in his big tank, truley shows what's possible.

it looks like i'm in for a bling my acicularis ride 8)

hellohefalump said:
Sounds interesting and I'm sure you'll do a great job. Something like Supercoley's tank (the one with all the ferns) would be cool...

i'm considering a "view from either side" scape.

hellohefalump said:
JBL don't like nitrates and phosphates... will you be dosing them?

i sure will.

hellohefalump said:
Maybe you could put in some messy fish and feed them a lot! Angels?

this is JBL's answer too.

little update. the makers of this aquarium work in inches apparently and are making it almost 80cm high (woohoo :p ) so slightly taller than before. other dimensions are the same. i'm doing my investigative work with regards to plants and positioning, like i do with all my set ups!

80cm???
good luck with that mate.
May as well check this out for ideas
bigtank.jpg

:lol:

Thomas McMillan said:
80cm is some height! You'd better get the Balansae out. :p

thats going in the back. i've really got to get my thinking cap on.

You should've bought those 50-70cm Crypt Spiralis when I was selling them :lol:

spiralisout.jpg

AC

Back