• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's MA 120x 50 x 70cm scape.5months old

Re: saintly's MA "long term" scape.

SuperColey1 said:
You should've bought those 50-70cm Crypt Spiralis when I was selling them :lol:

true mate, not to worry.

anyway, i can recap on this tank. i've recieved most of the stuff from JBL, substrates, filters, co2 etc etc. the tank arrives next week

. I've got the hardscape sorted. i was screwing pieces of wood together yesterday.( with PROPER/TRUE stainless screws. i use them at work because English heritage state) there were only 2 good bits...not much choice I'm afraid. would be amazing to have ANYTHING you want to hand. can only but dream....(sighs)

I've also got the planting arrangement in my head. ;)

a little update.

tanks arrived last week. I had only 2 pieces of wood that came close to being worthy of being in a scape, not an ideal start but you make the best of what you have.

after a bit of drilling and fixing with "proper" stainless screws from work, 2 became 1.

The plants arrived yesterday, which i sorted/split/ glued to wood etc, etc.... and today i planted. :D for some reason, this tank took forever to plant.

here's a couple of images of the foreground planted. this style of scape is still new to me,and made it up as i went a long a little bit but taking in to consideration heights etc.

it's not a straight forward foreground, but i wanted to get lots of texture in there. time will tell if it works or not.

foreground2.jpg

foreground.jpg

so from stripping one tank down, to building a new one. in one weekend :lol:

Damn you for always finding great hardscape :twisted:

Looking good bud :)

What do the MA crew think? And reaction from customers yet?

just to add, this is just the foreground planted. i did add other plants to the back of the tank but i'm not showing you that 8)

JamesM said:
Damn you for always finding great hardscape :twisted:

lucky with this. the only 2 decent bits.

JamesM said:
What do the MA crew think? And reaction from customers yet?

the staff love it. as i was putting it together i started to really like it too. customers were amazed at what goes into it. i could of sold tickets :lol:

samc said:
i would like to see it fully planted :twisted:

:lol:

newly planted tanks look strange to me. i never like them once theyve been filled. i allways struggle to see the bigger picture or have the foresight to know how it will turn out. this, if it grows ok will be a manic scape...as in, organized chaos, or something like that :p

this is what ended up in that big void in the middle.....

_MG_1253-01.jpg

a handful of fish have gone in, namely rummie nose tertas. there will be a focal fish added at a later date, but more on the fish later.

also 10 ottos and 10 shrimp have gone in. overdose?.....i've stuffed the 2 x JBL 1500e with mature media from the shops main filters.

here's looking up the path type thing....and sorry for the reflection :oops:

Untitled-1-1.jpg

hi mark,
that looks fantanstic.stop teasing though :lol: .give us a full tank shot.
neil

nelson said:
that looks fantanstic.stop teasing though :lol: .give us a full tank shot.

thanks nelson.

here's me planting the vallis. all the ferns were added last off.

_MG_1246-02.jpg

lets see if i can keep this alive eh?....

true aaron. thisshould go for quite sometime. i cant wait to see what happens to it. and the guys in the shop are just brilliant. they do everything i say.....the henge 2 is testament to that.

aaronnorth said:
Nice to see you go for some rossette plants too :p

there are one or 2 different plants in there that i've never tried before. i did a lot of homework on this, and have tried to create something that has varying degrees of interest within the tank, and i've also tried to follow a few of the rules associated with the composition, time will decide whether it works or not. this style of scape was/is completely alien to me, and believe me i was nervous putting it together/planting it :wideyed:
if i'm honest i still am :p but i do feel confident in the outcome.

even though there's a complete lack of interest with this journal I'll persist with it temporarily.

anyone thinking of using saggataria teres as a foreground plant, might want to take note....it's wild! and grows quite tall. it's still early days (7 to be precise) but this stuff has grown 7 inches tall. it is a nice plant though.see it in the bottom right corner....

_MG_1367-01.jpg

i've also got the other variety from aquafleur which is real nice. the echinodurus are firing out new leaves, the tenellus *(which seems to be a different species to before) is also doing great. in fact considering there's no ADA magic substrates or additives,testament to JBL maybe?..... this tank is doing awesome! it's giving me food for thought thats for sure....

of course this style of scape will take months to look anything like i want it but it's certainly on track.

I'm loving the look of it.
I have to say, Mark, in that top picture you look like Morrisey (of the smiths, not Neil).

hi mark,
how about a full tank shot as it looks now ;) .
neil

Looking great Mark, love the plant choice :D It's amazing how much one can learn from varying types of scape. I loved the Henge part 2 and I'm sure this one will be a cracker too. Please keep the journal going mate 8)

I meant to mention a lot of aquafeurs plants aren't "proper" plants having some non aquatic plants in the range, I was reading on a german forum that a lot of their plants aren't what they say they are species wise. E tennelus and some of the crypts being the worst offenders, the one you sent me wasn't e tennelus, or at least not the same strain as tropica's having different leaves, taller growth and being stockier at the base.

Garuf said:
. E tennelus and some of the crypts being the worst offenders,

interesting, although i've never personally had tenellus come through as wrong. just slightly different. it has all the same characteristic's just slightly different. the stuff i sent you was deffo tenenllus,i admit different to tropicas.

Tourney said:
It's amazing how much one can learn from varying types of scape.

true,this particular one is making me sway towards long term stuff now.

nelson said:
how about a full tank shot as it looks now ;) .

maybe,but i'd much rather wait a few weeks though. ;)

in addition to the rummies, there are 7 congo tetras in there now. it's great being able to add all this live stock and not having to wait for filters to mature. i don't know why i didn't do this on the other tank :oops:

Garuf said:
in that top picture you look like Morrisey (of the smiths, not Neil).

:lol: not the first time thats been said.

Back