• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's MA 120x 50 x 70cm scape.5months old

Re: saintly's MA 120x 50 x 70cm scape.

Goodygumdrops said:
I think they look like those red salmon with the big jaws.

there called salmon reds goody.

now there definitely going, anyone like them?....remember, fish is for life not just for half a scape :lol:

mmm...ugly things i agree garuf. i'll look at another focal point fish. maybe just the congos would do the trick.

hi,
how about loads of threadfins.don't see them that often.great fish,especially when the males are showing off.

nelson said:
hi,
how about loads of threadfins.don't see them that often.great fish,especially when the males are showing off.
That I would like to see, amazing fish!!! :) never seen them on sale at my local shops though! :(

nelson said:
Thanks Neil but I don't buy fish through the mail, just shrimp and snails, many thanks though, I am sure one of my local shops would be able to get them if I asked, have to get rid of those Bosemani first ;)

well, 4 weeks in to this scape and all is rosy....well almost. i've got to change the diffusion co2 method. i've used the JBL tower type but i just dont think it's up to scratch. and also it's a pain to clean and return to the tank and get working again. I'll be putting on of my ceramic diffusers on today.

so! the plants are doing good. my echinodorus is about 5 inches out the tank now...does any one know if this sends up flowers?

you can see it between the 2 lights....

_MG_1771-01.jpg

here's me leaning against the tank. as you can see it dwarfs me.

_MG_1769-01.jpg

also notice the black tape! this preventative measure for problems is brilliant (nice george) in the small tank, the aquarium sits in the cabinet hiding about 3 inches of the substrate. i pulled it out and looked at the substrate and it was like new :wideyed: so i've put black tape on until the newly made strip arrives which is the same finish as the tank. (thanks seashell)

The red rainbows departed last week you'll all be pleased to know and i'm on the hunt for another variety.

it's still early days, but it's filling a treat!

Re: saintly's MA 120x 50 x 70cm scape.(1 MONTH ON)

:) Is that your age on your t-shirt?

tank is looking good! how big was the echinodorus when you put it in?

I use the black tape method too, I get direct sunlight :rolleyes: on the front of the tank for a few hours which was causing algae problems/plants growing under the substrateBlack tape sorted it out a treat.

Chris

It's looking good! Are we allowed a full tank shot? :p

That Echinodourus must be some size, do you know what variety it is?

What's this black tape thing, I don't get it. :?

chump54 said:
Is that your age on your t-shirt?

no, thast on my hat :p

chump54 said:
tank is looking good! how big was the echinodorus when you put it in?

cheers, this was the tank @ day one. all of those echinodorus leaves have gone now, and everything is new growth.

_MG_1303-01.jpg

_MG_1771-01.jpg

rawr said:
Are we allowed a full tank shot? :p

for the time being this is the best you'll get. this tank is directly in front of a huge marine tank, so i cant get a decent shot. i'll try soon though.

rawr said:
do you know what variety it is?

cant remember :oops: me and plant names are not good.

rawr said:
What's this black tape thing, I don't get it. :?

it blocks out light which emits through the front i.e sunlight, or a big marine tank etc etc. it's just to minimise future problems.

samc said:
i dont know how you get so muh growth out of slow growing plants mark, its looking great

very kind of you to say so Sam. :D it's slowed a tad now, now i've lowered the light a little (staggered lighting) i've also cut out the sagitarria teres as it's not a foreground plant by ant stretch of the imagination. it grew too tall and I'd placed some right near the front glass.

also, it's now got a ceramic dish diffuser so i can relax a little now.

I still don't get it... :? Are we talkin about the black tape along the bottom of the tank? Doesn't that just block out the light to the substrate - isn't it an issue if light gets to the substrate? I might just be being really stupid here, but I'm intrigued.

BGA mostly originates in the substrate. By eliminating light getting into the depth of the substrate by using tape, one can reduce the risk of BGA spreading into the main water column.

I have used black tape like this -

tapemz0.jpg

rawr said:
I still don't get it... :? Are we talkin about the black tape along the bottom of the tank? Doesn't that just block out the light to the substrate - isn't it an issue if light gets to the substrate? I might just be being really stupid here, but I'm intrigued.

Just helps against BGA from creeping up from the substrate.
Super looking tank, Mark.

Edit: Ninja'd by George.

the sides and rear of tanks don't get as much light hitting them from the front so that's fine. often problems arise from excess light hitting the front glass. i admit with ADA AS and nature soil the problem is not as bad but this is just an addition that i feel just eliminates future problems. simples :D it also acts in a "guide" lets say for customers. when they ask about certain problems it's nice to explain it and show how to do something in the flesh so to speak :D

I think George was the inventor of this for BGA?

Back