• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's Nature plant pot.

Mark Evans

Expert
I'm attempting to get a few shots of this old plant pot from mums house.

kinda bonsai nature. one thing, this is inspiring so much for my next tank. i can see why amano loves moss!

IMG_2151-01.jpg

OK, here's a few shots.

these were all take @ ISO 1000 f16 shutter 1/50th fired via a remote switch apart from the flower which was f5.6 I think. it dawned on me later that usually, you cant bring nature into your house, but in this case...I can! it's a plant pot. so I may attempt at taking some indoors with flash. so i can shoot ISO 50.

what amazes me is the scene looks like a forest, with tiny moss as grass and a twig as a tree trunk. over night my view of nature is completely different. I will be trying to transpose what I see into tanks from now on.

woodland3.jpg

woodland5.jpg

woodland2.jpg

woodland4.jpg

woodland1.jpg

hopefully the original plant pot shot will allow you to appreciate the capabilities of this lens. :D

thanks very much for looking.

bombardment over :angelic:

cheers dude. i've got it under controlled lighting now. whilst looking around through the camera i came across this little chap. and i mean little. once i found him, i then looked with my normal eye, and i'd say he was about 3mm big....there was a dead fly next to him too.

The DoF is crazy on this.

spidy2.jpg

Dan Crawford said:
They are fantastic mark, your absolutely right - it does look like a forest scene, nice work.

cheers dan.

viktorlantos said:
i've seen you're on the way to change your camera. what would be the next?

i held a 1Ds markIII the other day, and nearly made love to the woman behind the counter....out of my league though.

5D mark II maybe. not sure yet.

chump54 said:
great Mark! nice spider shot

I'm liking that lens, very nice.

cheers chris. my neighbours think i'm strange burrowing in the garden :lol:

stuworrall said:
superb pics mark, looks like a forest close up!

cheers dude. it's the look i was after. i think if you didn't see the first shot, you'd question the dimensions of the scene. i look back at the shots and think...big

andy picks jaw up off floor!! :thumbup:

They are very cool pictures, that lens is wicked. Opens up a whole different world!

Do you need lots of light with the lens, i.e are you using your pro lights etc?

Nice shots :D
The moss in the center left of the first picture can be grown submerged >.<
Can anyone id it?

mr. luke said:
Nice shots :D
Can anyone id it?

*dusts off her plant brain* Is it some kind of stringy moss? I'd like to know...because the next thing I do is going to be look for it in the garden :D

Fantastic shots! Humbling, no? It's beautiful stuff, but now I won't be able to walk on the grass again without wondering.

If you want some i can send you some :lol:
I have a patch of about 2 foot square behind the shed and good amount growing submerged :rolleyes:
Ive been experimenting and have also discovered you can get erect moss and spikey moss from your back yard and several others i cant id which grow submerged.

mr. luke said:

really? i might try it. if so, to see undulating hills of this stuff would be mega!

i've been looking through this pot quite closely. googled moss etc, there's also liverworts in there to i believe.

is this the moss you mean? the main clump...the 5p is to add some kind of scale

IMG_2314-01.jpg

aquaticmaniac said:
Fantastic shots! Humbling, no? It's beautiful stuff, but now I won't be able to walk on the grass again without wondering.

it's making me think different for sure. what's beneath our feet is just astounding.

saintly said:
mr. luke said:

really? i might try it. if so, to see undulating hills of this stuff would be mega!

i've been looking through this pot quite closely. googled moss etc, there's also liverworts in there to i believe.

is this the moss you mean? the main clump...the 5p is to add some kind of scale

IMG_2314-01.jpg
I've got a fabulous book on terrestrial mosses called "Moss Gardening including Lichens, Liverworts, and other Miniatures" by George Schemk. I got it from the RHS.
Mosses are devilish difficult to ID even for experts, and trying to do so over the internet is like trying to paint your hallway through the letterbox :lol:
So on those flimsy grounds I'd suggest it's either Atrichum or Polytrichum. Thankyou. :D

I belive thats the stuff ive been growing saintly, it not its a very similar species.
Id give it a try..... ive been trying to grow several types or liverworts, mosses and plagomnium in a spare tank on a windowsill, and all but 1 of the species ive tried have either grown or stayed alive for at least a month.
I do have to admit, the plagomnium ive tried has started to grow rather un-atractively.... as in from looking like a magnified moss to string with bubbles on it :crazy:
None that have grown have harmed my fish or shrimps either ;)
If that moss is the one i think it is it will reming you of pine trees when it grows :lol: I was just thinking it would look stunning on and around some mini landscape rock ;)

Back