• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintlys opti white take 2

ok ive been and bought some fish. red eye tetras to be more precise. they shoal pretty good too.

heres a few pics....

0d456c7a.jpg

4710ccb4.jpg

636aa823.jpg

fba57338.jpg

Cool pics of the fish there. I bet you hope they keep 'formation' once they get used to things.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Cool pics of the fish there. I bet you hope they keep 'formation' once they get used to things.

at the minute (2 hours in) there holding a great shape following each other. there feeding near enough from my hand too. greedy sods.

they're hugging the bottom like fish would do in a river which i guess suits this scape.

Thomas McMillan said:
They're really nice fish - great choice for this scape actually.

thanks thomas. it was a conscious decision to get silver looking fish. you see i come from a background of fishing on the river trent and used to love catching roach chub and the likes. so it seemed obvious to get similar looking fish for a scape that lends itself to the river look. some may and probably do, that my scapes dont follow rules of fish from the same regions as the plants etc...i dont particularly care TBH :D if it looks right for me, then thats good enough.

within the last ten minutes ive fed them blood worm literally from the hand. i wish that happened when i was in fishing matches (eh mr stakey? ;) )

Thomas McMillan said:
That pic is awesome.

What's the dimensions/volume of this tank again?

thanks again thomas, glad you like the pic :D

tank spec as follows....

60 x 30 x 36 optiwhite

rena filstar xp 2

co2 press F\E

all glass hardware.

ADA AS malaya

ferts, TPN+ and easycarbo.

Hi,
I think your tank looks really awesome. And the fish are perfect fr that tank!

But I think that your beautiful wood would be much stronger without the moss on it.

How much light do you actually use for your slowgrowers? Do you put more light when you are taking the pics?

Kind regards,
deMastro. :D

deMastro said:
But I think that your beautiful wood would be much stronger without the moss on it.
i too think the same, but one or 2 folks think it would be better with. personally i don't like it.ive taken it off and then put it back on now i think i will take it off again. :?

deMastro said:
How much light do you actually use for your slow growers? Do you put more light when you are taking the pics?

currently im using 2 x 24w hot5's i'm not shy on using light even with slow growers. ive got stems in the back which i want to bring on at a quick rate.

you see, when ive got close to the set up looking something like what i want, and when ive learnt how to grow a few more different types of plant, i'll rip it down and start all over again. im on a mission now to get half decent at the hardscape side of things and the only way to do it is by keep going. my new optiwhite shall be for the long term (thanks to george farmer) for the idea.

ive also got another 60 x 30 x36 which i practice in "dry. just using sand and stone. its great to try different combos with stone without worrying whether its "right" or "wrong"

when it comes to photos those above were just with 2 x 24 i have another 2 but there colour temp is way off and even with RAW capabilities it throws my white balance a little. i get enough from the 2 x 24 and bump up my iso on the camera... you can get away with it with a canaon 5D ;)

George Farmer said:
Fancy the new 5D Mk.2? Nice bit of kit...

oh man, you cant keep planting seeds like that :wideyed: yeah stunning for the money i reckon, give it half a year or so and you'll get it much cheaper. ive always paid top dollar for my 5d and previous 10d.

TBH im cool with my current 5d. i'd love to see the hd video on the new one though. i would also say that it would be stunning quality because i just get the feeling they wouldn't put anything gimmicky on the new camera, im hoping it would be good quality.
all my money is going on aquatic stuff now. hard scape etc. actually i'd love some of the ADA lighting. after seeing the real thing at TGM i wanted some immediately

LondonDragon said:
Great photos, great tank, great fish :) what more is there to sat Mark :)

cheers LD :D i can allways rely on you for kind words ;) whats your opinion on the moss on wood debate LD?

saintly said:
Thomas McMillan said:
They're really nice fish - great choice for this scape actually.

thanks thomas. it was a conscious decision to get silver looking fish. you see i come from a background of fishing on the river trent and used to love catching roach chub and the likes. so it seemed obvious to get similar looking fish for a scape that lends itself to the river look. some may and probably do, that my scapes dont follow rules of fish from the same regions as the plants etc...i dont particularly care TBH :D if it looks right for me, then thats good enough.

within the last ten minutes ive fed them blood worm literally from the hand. i wish that happened when i was in fishing matches (eh mr stakey? ;) )
Hi Saintly,i know exactly what you mean,i used to fish the nelson fields strech in my day it was proper fishing,regards john,oh great scape mark it will look good when it fills out.

saintly said:
cheers LD :D i can allways rely on you for kind words ;) whats your opinion on the moss on wood debate LD?
To be honest I wouldn't put anything on that wood, its looks awsome on its own, if you try to cover it with anything else it just will hide its beauty which is the focal point of the tank. I had some Fissedens on my Redmoor roots and then took it off to place in the shrimp tank to get the algae cleared, and the tank just looks much better with the bare wood, so if you want a nice focal point don't cover it up. You can do something a the base but even then I would plant in a way as not to hide the tree trunk feel of the wood.

Loving the fish Mark, what a great choice!

I'm gonna agree with LD and the others about moss on the wood.. its not needed... doesn't mean to say it can't be used elsewhere though...

Back