• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's Pastel Shades

saintly said:
George Farmer said:
I used to get them all the time. I never considered them as flowers, and figured they were just new plants on the end of runners...

thats what i thought, but aaron kindly put me on to the thread that ceg had. his were flowers and looked identical. you did actually reply to that thread saying something similar :D

i never considered the "runners" theory as its a stem plant. it is a strange thing i must admit.
I'm getting old! Thanks mate.

I was reading an article the other day about how to try to induce flowering in aquatic plants. It suggested altering photo periods to either longer or shorter and even water temp (depending on whether the plant would flower in winter/summer in it's natural habitat) to induce it's seasonal change.

Flowers in the aquarium...

saintly said:
here you go TDI....

_MG_9979-01-1.jpg

Thanks Mark.

It's so much clearer now. :D

Hey Mark, i read this one plant geek about blyxa aubertti...

This plant seems to have a slight sensitivity to Flourish Excel. While it does not "melt" like some others, the color changes slightly and it seems to stress the plant enough to cause it to send out flowers.

TDI-line said:
Hey Mark, i read this one plant geek about blyxa aubertti...

This plant seems to have a slight sensitivity to Flourish Excel. While it does not "melt" like some others, the color changes slightly and it seems to stress the plant enough to cause it to send out flowers.

I wonder if the stress can cause it to change colour to bronze which nobody has discovered yet (i dont think).

George Farmer said:
Is it an SE Asian blackwater biotope after the silt has been disturbed?! :lol:

you got it bud! :lol: i'm getting good at this scapin lark, the microsorum front left?.....cool dont ya think?....

the little blob, directly below the intake is a ram! :p

George Farmer said:
Seriously though, I look forward to seeing what the current UK's most prolific aquascaper will create next...

no pressure then?....TBH, it's a trial an error scape next, but then this was trial and error to some degree. i've bought crypts and grass. re using stems (which i couldn't believe how much i pulled out :wideyed: )

i need to discover what certain crypts do, such as bullosa?a couple of other varieties, which i cant remeber....moss on wood, sand foreground etc....

saintly said:
i need to discover what certain crypts do...
That's the million dollar question. In my limited experience with crypts (I've grown 12-14 species now), a lot of varities grow very differently depending on set-up i.e. light, water chemistry, nutrients, substrate etc.

I like their unpredictability but, of course, for a 'tight' 'scape, it presents potential frustrations.

George Farmer said:
I like their unpredictability but, of course, for a 'tight' 'scape, it presents potential frustrations.

it's the length of time for them to grow that kills me. although in the miracle mire, they did eventually grew rampantly. every time i look at NA books 1-3 it amazes me that amano has grown sooo many varities of plants crypts included and has managed to put them into a wonderful order within a scape....20 years ago! the man must of forced time somehow :?:

so before those books, he's grown them to experiment, then experimented with them in a scape....then, finally starts to really show where they should be in a scape! the mans a genius i think

i've just finished scapin.

nice and simple for mum to take of. wood is similar to the last lot.

just a teaser shot, you can see it in 3 months

_MG_0724-01.jpg

aaronnorth said:
looks like it is going to be another saintly classic :) Have you used Oliver Knott substrate again?

yeah, i've also used the original substrate too.

maybe in a few weeks i'll take some images. :lol:

Back