• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "Prairie Lands"

Re: saintly's 120cm iwagumi

saintly said:
I look forward to see how you approach an iwagumi. :D
Probably similar to you. ;)

This will be my fourth (after Jeremy's 120cm, 30cm Meadow Zephyr and 30cm Little Mountain), so I have no excuse not to get it right!

I think your tank's aspect ratio suits Iwagumi better than my 60cm.

George Farmer said:
think your tank's aspect ratio suits Iwagumi better than my 60cm.

much more room for to create highs and lows. although in NA book 3 (i think) amano definately said that the to do iwagumi in its purest form a 60 cm tank should be used. i found that quite interesting.

in book there are 2 stunning iwagumis in larger tanks

I've just received my dec 08 edition from sunny Japan of the aqua journal dedicated to iwagumi! some great scapes in there. i only buy it for the pics. you can learn just as much as written text.

so a tank full of inspiration! :lol:

inspo.jpg

i cant wait to get going with it! :wideyed:

saintly said:
amano definitely said that the to do iwagumi in its purest form a 60 cm tank should be used. i found that quite interesting.

i got myself thinking, and after looking at a few amano iwagumi scapes, especially the sanzon style (3 pillar) i thought to myself "i got a load of stone in the back garden"

it's blue stone, and if i'm honest i didn't like the look of it, but i thought what the heck lets try it! after all were in a recession and i cant really afford to keep blowing money.and upon using it, i instantly loved it

as i've mentioned this layout is based on 3 stones and a couple of backbone stones to finish it off. excuse the poor image as the glass was real dirty due to the old AS being like mud!

i personally like it, it follows most of the rules of iwagumi and I'm chuffed because it only took about 45 mins to do it :D I would say it's a lot more edgy than my other iwagumi attempts

sanzonstyle.jpg

I've still got to buy a couple of bags of substrate to cap it all off, but apart from that, this is what i'm going with. so I'm up and running quicker than i thought.

plant choice still remains the same. :D

That's actually something totally different to what I expected mate, and its looks really unique and well balanced. You'll be adding more AS I take it? and what about a sand foreground? I wonder how she'd look with a partial sand foreground offset from the centre... maybe even a sandy corner...

What plants do you have in mind too bud?

JamesM said:
That's actually something totally different to what I expected mate, and its looks really unique and well balanced.

Thanks James, yeah, the balance does seem to sit right with this and it's a mile off what i planned on doing but I've looked at some of amanos works that are similar in look and, i feel confident that this will turn out fine.

i've considered the sand idea too. :D

JamesM said:
I wonder how she'd look with a partial sand foreground offset from the centre... maybe even a sandy corner...

great thinking mate, i'm just not sure i got the balls.

there will be in addition to this substrate, at least 2 more bags of something!

plants will be

ELEOCHARIS ACICULARIS, BLYXA JAPONICA, RICCIA, Hemianthus callitrichoides and Echinodorus tenellus

100% confident on these to feature, NO STEMS!

samc said:
i think it looks so right for some reason. i should be getting that 60cm i wanted, went custom in the end, 24x18x15 for £50. hoping to do something like youve done here so looking foward to it even more.

what a nice thing to say, thanks samc :D

at least you and james know where i'm coming from ;)

That hardscape is amazing. I've never seen such perfect hardscape positioning, seriously and I don't even like iwagumis. The sense of scale is awesome aswell. This is definately gonna be an immense scape, Mark.

Tom said:
Looks nice, but maybe a bit flat? Probably just the picture but I can't see any scale. I'm sure when it's planted up it will be clearer! :D

the image is poor tom. do you mean depth rather than scale?....it's a 120cm so that gives you a senses of scale....them stones are big! the lanting i have in mind should change everything. :D

Thomas McMillan said:
That hardscape is amazing. I've never seen such perfect hardscape positioning, seriously and I don't even like iwagumis. The sense of scale is awesome aswell. This is definately gonna be an immense scape, Mark.

thanks Thomas. It's actually one of my faves too :D it's nothing like using seryiou stone, the whole thing "feels"different. a lot more "earthy"

once ive got added substrate i'll post better images

i've decided on plants!

eleocharis acicularis for the rear (center)
e tenellus for in between main stone/sub stone left and right sub stone.

I'm not having blyxa, i just don't think it will fit with the shady feel.

riccia stones a plenty!riccia form hellofalump (thanks)

and HC in the foreground but not in an even way.I'll create shapes with the riccia stones.

i'm going to have a black background too. mean and moody 8)

George Farmer said:
like Tom suggests, but I'm sure they're not.

there slightly off. in a curved formation. i've got some more substrate to add, so everything is to come out and back in again. :D

George Farmer said:
I would look through my NAW Book 2 and 3 but someone has stolen them!! lol

ahh...that'll be me mate 8)

George Farmer said:
Are you doing an open sand foreground?

no, just plants on this one. i'll attempt that at a later date.

so you doing yours in a 60 right?....will we get to see any progress reports? ;)

Back