• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "Prairie Lands"

Re: saintly's 120cm iwagumi

this is like a credit crunch gumi. Old AS which is like mud. JBL stuff tropica stuff stone i wasnt keen on.... :(

it gives me more money for plants though ;)

thanks aaron.

after taking the old AS out again. I've now added some tropica substrate along with some JBL aquabasis and then put the old AS on top. i'm going to order 2 x bags of something...

i'm also going to fill it with TPN+ capsules so the substrate is loaded.

_MG_9264-01.jpg

its going to be an island as you can tell from the mound in the middle

saintly said:
this is like a credit crunch gumi. Old AS which is like mud. JBL stuff tropica stuff stone i wasnt keen on.... :(

Know what you mean, mine is being done the same way and the plants are all recycled from other tanks too.

Love your rock set-up though, looking good.

ok, i've gone proper sanzon. just 3 stones. looks tons better and gives me a better planting sceme too. simple is best :D

I really liked that mate and look forward to seeing photos of the rearranged layout. Those stones look really nice and chunky and will be really well set off by the thin leaved small plants you've picked IMHO. What's the stocking going to be? If you've not got them already I reckon you want a big shoal of something really small to play with the sense of scale even more and make it look really huge!!!!

Ed Seeley said:
I really liked that mate and look forward to seeing photos of the rearranged layout.

arghhhh...i was going to hold back on the layout :D but you've twisted my arm Ed.

I've gone for purist forms here. it wont be to everyone's liking, but imagine it shrouded in e acicularis. e tenellus sprouting from behind the stones, HC in the front playground area and a shoal of 100 cardinals.

that's what i see, yes it may be a rip off of amano, but hey, that's how we learn right? ;)

sanzon1.jpg

there may be the odd tweak still.

It looks great ;) have you thought about maybe adding some Crypts in amoungst all the other plants? Something like Parva or Wendtii - not too big. It might look quite good.

For me, the right rock doesn't look quite right. But that's just me.

Very nice mate. Impressive sized lumps of rock that give a really dominant feel.

But I'd go with different fish! I reckon the cards are too big! Just think how 150 Boraras brigittae would look? The lumps of rock would look enormous! Cardnals would be classically elegant though!

Thomas McMillan said:
have you thought about maybe adding some Crypts in amoungst all the other plants?

I'd considered it some time ago, but I'm just wanting to embrace the chance of doing an iwagumi with grasses. since i started a year ago, I've always wanted to do one right....now is my chance. good thinking though thomas

Thomas McMillan said:
the right rock doesn't look quite right. But that's just me.

planting changes everything.

Ed Seeley said:
I reckon the cards are too big! Just think how 150 Boraras brigittae would look?

you might be on to something there Ed. would exaggerate the size of stone. i might just do that!

plant list coming soon

OK, good spot Thomas.

a slight adjustment to the right stone (brought it closer)

slightadjustrightstone.jpg

cant wait to get this planted! :wideyed:

I gotta say too, the black background and moody lighting is really nice mate :) Different to the overexposed Amano stuff people do everyday.

JamesM said:
I gotta say too, the black background and moody lighting is really nice mate :) Different to the overexposed Amano stuff people do everyday.

glad you like.

amanos early works consisted of 100% black backgrounds. for some iwagumi layouts it works a treat :D i gota get some decent backing though...i cant keep draping the old curtains behind it :lol:

ma2.jpg

slightadjustrightstone.jpg

GUMITASTIC :lol:

The Sanzon-Iwagumi (3 stones) is a more powerful layout, for me. I think I prefer it and it would likely suit the simple planting.

I don't see any obvious areas for improvement on the stone choice and composition, but creativity was never my strong point.

The stones also make a refreshing change to Seiryu/Mini Landscape.

I also like the black background - another refreshing change. Is it burnt out using PS?

Superb work, as always mate. Your journals are fast approaching legendry status!

aaronnorth said:
I prefer the latest arrangment, although i am not sure on the angle, partly because of the flat face on the right rock showing too much?? Or is it just me/ lighting as usual :rolleyes: :lol:

That's what I was getting at, about the flat face.

Looking lovely as we all knew it would. Must say I prefer the one where there is more space between the middle and right stones. bit more space for planting. That rock is real nice too. What is it?
Just a little niggle.... The right stone? whats the other side of it look like?
Just seems a bit squared of compared to the other two how it is. Sure the grasses will soften it up though.

Back