• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "Prairie Lands"

Re: saintly's 120cm iwagumi

it's becoming apparent that the flat side is not to everyone's taste...including my wife's.

I've turned it around slightly and the flat side is not so prominent.

TBH and really great full for the praise from all of you guys. it means much more to me that you like the stone arrangements that i do. it's always a learning process with stone, and i love the challenge.

george it's just cheopo PS tricks mate just to emphasize the layout.

hopefully i should plant this up in a couple of weeks.

Looks great Mark.

I personally like the flat rock and is something a little different from the norm, i think we can get over critical with rock placements. :lol:

Is there a name when an Iwagumi has only 2 pieces of rock.... ;)

jay said:
Looking lovely as we all knew it would. Must say I prefer the one where there is more space between the middle and right stones. bit more space for planting. That rock is real nice too. What is it?
Just a little niggle.... The right stone? whats the other side of it look like?
Just seems a bit squared of compared to the other two how it is. Sure the grasses will soften it up though.

I second all of this. The stone is fab - a lovely refreshing change from the shop bought stuff and really interesting to boot with lots of texture. Can't quite see what kind of rock it is - I presume you've checked it doesn't contain any calcium?

I think the cardinals would be better than the borara's given the moody feel (really is a credit crunch scape eh?) - get some small ones - just 2cm like my green neons. They will grow but I'm sure you'll tear down the scape first :eek:

saintly said:
it means much more to me that you like the stone arrangements that i do.

Whilst its good to take onboard the wisdom/advice forum members may offer, at the end of the day its you that's gotta look at it all the time and have it in your house mate, ultimately go with what you like as opposed to what other forum members may like

wow, thanks guys!

such nice replies! :D

Ray said:
They will grow but I'm sure you'll tear down the scape first :eek:

:lol: your getting to me well Ray!

TDI-line said:
Is there a name when an Iwagumi has only 2 pieces of rock.... ;)

togumi i think :lol:

i'm close to a final list!...plants

Vivipara?
Never really been a fan in the past but I recently got a few AquaJournals and seen the stuff kept well in check.
Think it looks the nuts in an iwagumi..
With your commitment, I'm sure it would know it's place ;)

Hi Mark,i am drooling with excitment to see this planted, :D regards john.

jay said:
Vivipara?

high maintenance i believe. but yeah i would groom it...if i could get hold of some. i'm hoping to use acicualris in the back though.

john starkey said:
Hi Mark,i am drooling with excitment to see this planted, :D regards john.

cheers john :D not as much as i'm though :lol:

JamesM said:
Vivipara is apparently one of the hardest plants to establish too.. Mine died within a week :(

You have to keep it in check otherwise it can start to look really messy (gets tangled easily) but once it has been grown i think it is a stunning plant, i love how Jason Baliban used it in this scape here: http://www.projectaquarium.com/plantedA ... ander.aspx

I may be wrong but I really don't think that is Vivipara that Jason used for that beautiful 'scape.
It is either a form of Giant hairgrass from Japan, or is Isoetes japonica.
It seems too thck stemmed to be vivipara.

aaronnorth said:
JamesM said:
Vivipara is apparently one of the hardest plants to establish too.. Mine died within a week :(

You have to keep it in check otherwise it can start to look really messy (gets tangled easily) but once it has been grown i think it is a stunning plant, i love how Jason Baliban used it in this scape here: http://www.projectaquarium.com/plantedA ... ander.aspx
Yes, but getting it to root in is difficult.

jay said:
I may be wrong but I really don't think that is Vivipara that Jason used for that beautiful 'scape.
It is either a form of Giant hairgrass from Japan, or is Isoetes japonica.
It seems too thck stemmed to be vivipara.
Vivipara is actually quite thick...

vivipara.jpg

After trimming it right back I got a small amount of growth, but it eventually died back and the roots rotted. Shame, its a beautiful plant.

I'm using it in my lastest scape, what does that Farmer know hey? :lol: Now i've just gotta make sure it's a decent scape!

It's growing ok, it was in poor nick when i got it but it's slowly improving. If it turns out ok i'll send you some but by the looks of it, it won't be any time soon!

Jason himself isn't sure what that hairgrass species is.

Dan Crawford said:
I'm using it in my lastest scape, what does that Farmer know hey? :lol: Now i've just gotta make sure it's a decent scape!
Doh! Sorry mate - I remember now!

I'm not a big fan of the plant, personally. For me, it looks too messy (even in Amano's tanks) and high-maintenance.

However, if anyone can make it look good; Dan and Mark are two of the likeliest candidates I think of...

George Farmer said:
if anyone can make it look good; Dan and Mark are two of the likeliest candidates I think of...
Thanks mate, we'll see :oops:
George Farmer said:
'm not a big fan of the plant, personally. For me, it looks too messy (even in Amano's tanks) and high-maintenance.
I agree but i wanna make it work, you know? If i can't get it to work then Cyperus is the future for me. :D

I have used E. Vivipara, but made the mistake of planting it near some M. umbrosum....what a mess.

As long as it is the only tall plant in the tank it looks fantastic IMO. Not sure I`ll ever try it again, though!

Dave.

P.S. Mine was from Plants Alive and was very good quality, and grew like a weed on steroids. I used an Afro comb to keep it tidy, but it just kept strangling the M. umbrosum.

Back