• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "Prairie Lands"

Re: saintly's 120cm iwagumi

JamesM said:
aaronnorth said:
JamesM said:
Vivipara is apparently one of the hardest plants to establish too.. Mine died within a week :(

You have to keep it in check otherwise it can start to look really messy (gets tangled easily) but once it has been grown i think it is a stunning plant, i love how Jason Baliban used it in this scape here: http://www.projectaquarium.com/plantedA ... ander.aspx
Yes, but getting it to root in is difficult.

jay said:
I may be wrong but I really don't think that is Vivipara that Jason used for that beautiful 'scape.
It is either a form of Giant hairgrass from Japan, or is Isoetes japonica.
It seems too thck stemmed to be vivipara.
Vivipara is actually quite thick...

vivipara.jpg

After trimming it right back I got a small amount of growth, but it eventually died back and the roots rotted. Shame, its a beautiful plant.

The stuff i recieved was much thinner than that, more like eleocharis parvula/ acularis!

EDIT: sorry for the hijack Mark.

aaronnorth said:
sorry for the hijack Mark.

no worries Aaron, your all doing a wonderful job of keeping my journals massive :lol:

BTW folks...ive ordered some vivipara

Me too 8)
I can see a craze sweeping the Ukaps forum!

Hope mine is the same thick stuff that JamesM pictured.
Understand what George says about it looking messy, I believed the same after seeing it used in a few jungle and "ryobuko"(?)
But in a good iwagumi,(Mark, please stand up) well kept, it can look great IMO.

Go for it!!

Stunning looking hardscape so far sainty, jelous, very jelous!

I have Vivipara in my tank I origanly bought it because i thoutgh it would be long strands but it actually sprouts new growth at the tips in a kind of umbrella form and becomes a tangly mess, im not so sure how to trim to get the long strands all the way to the top... im probably going wrong somewhere, any one got any advice on how to get the long stand effect?

Vito

Hi Mark,
Just wanted to leave you a msg that I´m now reading this journal and somehow like style of UKAPS :lol:
regards

Not chopping? Is this a typo? :lol: :lol:

Wow.
Of all the first posts to read I had to pick this one that leaves me looking at the 'next' button in vain.... :wideyed:

Can't wait to see it.

Nice site you have here, I'm stopping by from Planetcatfish. One of your members just posted pics there of a lovely tank and I'm inspired all over again.

Cheers

L number Banana said:
Nice site you have here, I'm stopping by from Planetcatfish. One of your members just posted pics there of a lovely tank and I'm inspired all over again.
Welcome aboard :) I think I am the guilty one that got you here lol hehe

L number Banana said:
Of all the first posts to read I had to pick this one that leaves me looking at the 'next' button in vain.... :wideyed:

:lol:

i received my e vivipara today from plants alive. it looks quality stuff

Back