• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "Prairie Lands"

Re: saintly's 120cm iwagumi

Hi LondonDragon,
Welcome aboard :) I think I am the guilty one that got you here lol hehe
Yes, it's all your fault and thank you!!
OMG, I've spent waaayy too many hours here already. I'm not such an odd duck here with my 'pond tanks'. You guys have a pretty nice el-natural section - always more to learn :)

Can't wait to see this tank, I'm already thinking about the stones in my garden and rearranging them in my mind and tank. They're still under several feet of snow.

It IS addictive. My background is horticulture but what do you do in the winter in Canada? Aquascape!

I think I'll need to move into nanos at some point soon because of space. Also with a floral background, I've noticed the massive increase in glassware available. Interesting shapes made to hold water, hmm. Also, aquascaping provides enough humidity to grow some nice orchids.

Oh dear, now I just realized I could make a paludrium (sp?) with terrestrial orchids on the top :rolleyes:

So many ideas so little time.

so back to the journal. i've been on a mission recently to find a quality stone thats different and cheap to everything else.

i've managed to find that stone!

the price?.....roughly 20p a kilo. i bought 82KG for £11.00 :wideyed:

it looks mega. i'm going for the 3 stone arrangement now.

coppice.jpg

Really nice arrangement, and the stone looks amazing! Where's it from?

I can't help but think the outer two might be a tad too short though.

Thomas McMillan said:
I can't help but think the outer two might be a tad too short though.

well, it was the first thing i did. it's to show the rocks off really.

anyhow, the stone is from a stone supplier at langley mill. cheap as chips!

i got some beauty's. I've got loads of fiddling to do, but due to the huge nature of these stones, a 3 stone arrangement is the only realistic option.

i'll be able to order my plants soon. :D

I'm not going to get really anal with this..posting images of every layout. but it would be safe to say it will look something like this....so hopefully the next image should be of the planting :D

i've got a few bags of the oli knott substarte coming so that should even out the horrid texture you can see. you cant tell but that is sat on one hell of a mound as it is!

thanks for the comments.

LD, it's find of the century @ 20p per KG

attempt1.jpg

That layout looks really good. The tank REALLY doesn't look like 120cm at all.

saintly said:
LD, it's find of the century @ 20p per KG

Looks like you owe me then mate!!! :lol: I trust that was from CED? Which type did you get in the end?

Ed Seeley said:
Looks like you owe me then mate!!! :lol: I trust that was from CED? Which type did you get in the end?

i sure do. theres some awesome stuff there. if i had a huge tank, thats where i'd buy from for sure.

i went for coppice green. it's got a real character, kinda mean in its look. very dark green almost dark grey.

Thomas McMillan said:
The tank REALLY doesn't look like 120cm at all.

the stones are that big mate, it makes look small. the plants will put back a sense of scale. e tenellus should look like normal height grass in this scape. and a shoal of tetras should look cool as...

Tonser said:
look forward to seeing the planting :D

me too matey

SteveUK said:
Were those stones easy to buy?

easy to buy, hard to carry :lol:

yeah, i just walked in picked out the ones i liked put them in a container, the guy weighed them.

they don't deliver as the numbers we require are so small it's just not worth them delivering.

stuworrall said:
Looks like its gonna be a corker

i just need to get the plant choice right. there's no blyxa going in...too nice. riccia in small amounts. mainly e acivulari, e tenellus. vivipara, and i'm still unsure about adding HC in the foreground.

i've even thought about using just e acicularis on it's own 8)

i'll let you know when i've decided

forgot to add...i've got my nature soil coming from AE so the hardscape will be 100% in a couple of days.

theres 1 x 10L normal grain and 1 x 10L fine grain plus what's in the tank already.

saintly said:
forgot to add...i've got my nature soil coming from AE so the hardscape will be 100% in a couple of days.
theres 1 x 10L normal grain and 1 x 10L fine grain plus what's in the tank already.
Will be nice to get your opinion this substrate, looking forward to it. :) Its not cheap though!!!

Back