• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "Prairie Lands"

Re: saintly's 120cm iwagumi

definitely no vivipara. I've just added some to my 60cm and its straggly old stuff.

i really don't fancy the time it may take to make it look nice. I'm wanting a relatively easy scape so this plant wont feature.

Lilaeopsis may be added if i can work out the best way to use it. i can grow it, I've tried it in my 35L just to see if I could grow it. it spread nicely.

My new tanks going to be using the Oliver Knott substrate.

My only concern is that their idea of 10 litres might not match a real 10 litres. I want a steep slope in my nano so put 10 litres of water in to give an idea of how it will fill the bottom. 10l SHOULD be plenty so at £40 a bag i'll be disappointed if it doesn't.

I'm hoping to start the journal next week!

saintly said:
definitely no vivipara.

Scaredy cat! :lol:

It is seriously high maintenance, though. I still think I will give it another go some time, but without any stems in the tank.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
Scaredy cat! :lol:

i know mate,i'd love to use it but i need to practice with it first to see what it does. this is to be long term...well long for me at least. so i don't want to take the gamble and be going in the tank every 5 minutes

Aeropars said:
My only concern is that their idea of 10 litres might not match a real 10 litres

surely that would be against trade description though? well from my experience with both, i would say there is slightly more than AS but then it is 9 V 10 L

i got bored....shows the character of the stone dont ya think?

header.jpg

looks like a nice banner, maybe something for your signature?

Jur4ik said:
looks like a nice banner, maybe something for your signature?

it could well be jur4ik. i may use it for that one day. I'm constantly changing my sig.

plants to be ordered.

16x HC
16x e acicularis
16x e tenellus

anything i don't use can go back to the shop.

I've got a plan in my head, but the larger quantities covers me if i change my mind on anything.

riccia also comes into play.

the plan, similar to an amano layout. acicularis and tenellus around the centre working out to riccia stones down to HC surrounding the whole thing. i considered shrouding the whole thing in grass, but i want an open feeling scape.so this [planting scheme emphasizes the mound

you cant imagine how long I've wanted this style of tank in my house!

change of plan.

20 pots lilaeopsis
18 of e acicularis
18 of e tenellus

i'm not going down the usual HC route. everyone's seems to be using it right now.

plants ordered. arrive wednesday.

6 x hc
18 x lilaeopsis
16 e tenellus
12 e acicularis,

so by the end of the week , i'll have my own tank running :wideyed:

SteveUK said:
Excellent mate! Busy weekend ahead then?

for sure. i've planted lilaeopsis before but it can be fiddly. the rest is a doddle.

TDI-line said:
I'll look forward to seeing this one Mark. :D

not as much as me :lol: the tanks been empty for some time now bar the hard scape.

my looking forward to seeing a carpet of lilaeopsis.

BTW TDI-line, i got flowers developing on your donated blyxa! :D

i'll try and get a pick at the weekend. there like tiny little storks from the center with a bud like thingy on the end. not opened as yet though.

samc said:
i havent seen a carpet of lilaeopsis before so ill look foward to that too :D

i've only ever seen it in amanos tanks. recently i've seen them in aquajournals. it's this that's made me try it. it may look crap, but i gota try. it might even die :wideyed: it did ok in my 35L arcadia though....fingers crossed

Good idea.
Hope you plant the lilaeopsis just behind the HC and it starts to creep along and starts shooting through the HC carpet.
I love the look of that.
Got the same plan for a lil' Iwagumi of my own.

It's a slow starter, but once it's settled in the soil, it goes fast.

Back