• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "Prairie Lands"

Re: saintly's 120cm iwagumi

flygja said:
Everyone's excited!

they used to be :lol:

Joecoral said:
16 pages and no plants is actually quite modest for a saintly journal :lol:

true my friend. like i said in a previous thread, most of my journals will be updated on my own website. with many more images on the gallery page.

SteveUK said:
How about a recap post Mark?

recap ah?.... it's still not planted.

OK, just to recap, I've still got my optiwhite 120cm still sat with hardscape and substrate inside just begging to be planted.

fingers crossed, I'll have the plants tomorrow but, wont plant until Friday evening.

jay said:
Hope you plant the lilaeopsis just behind the HC and it starts to creep along and starts shooting through the HC carpet.

you've got it mate ;) I've seen one or two amano images showing that he plants the HC in amongst the lilaeopsis, but I'll put it towards the front, then the lilaeopsis, then e tenellus around the stones and e acicularis at the rear, but not all the way across.

only time will tell if the outcome is to be successful, but at least it'll be another scape to my slowly growing portfolio.

just to finish this recap off, i'd really like to thank everyone thats commented on my journals and to everyone who's come along for the ride.
for some, they must look at the top of the "recent posts" and see saintly's this or saintly's that and think good god.....not again? :? my posting will decrease to allow for others to post and not get bogged underneath one of my journals,
it's also becoming more apparent that some of the more competent scapers on here NOT posting tank images seems to evoke a better reaction when they eventually do post. so i'll try the same! damn IAPLC eh?....
but ultimately you'll be able to view my tanks on my own site.

saintly said:
it's also becoming more apparent that some of the more competent scapers on here NOT posting tank images seems to evoke a better reaction when they eventually do post.
Hi Mark

The reasons I don't post so much 'scape photos these days is more down to spare time. My regular working day is 13hrs long, before I even see my wife and children, start any freelance work, answer any emails, phone calls etc...

My work with PFK is also a limiting factor, as it's inappropriate for me to post images that will be published and paid for. I do generally post images after publishing.

It's a sacrifice I consider worthwhile, as I have the potential to influence a wider fishkeeping audience and have had plenty of lovely feedback from planted tank 'converts' (I was voted most popular freelance contributor in a PFK magazine poll, along with Mary Bailey, in my fist year of writing. Also, I'm sure not all voters were planted tank owners.)

When I started the hobby I used to be on TFF and actually started the first ever planted tank journal on there - now there's a dedicated sub-forum for journals. I guess I was in a similar position to you, Mark (although my skills as a 'scaper and photographer were relatively poor).

I admit I used to thrive on the constant feedback that regular journal updates provided and reinforcement that I was doing some good for the hobby. It was addictive, and when the replies slowed down it was a little disappointing.

I do miss journals and plan one in the near future - going back to my roots, so to speak. Hopefully I'll find the time to update it regularly, just like the old days!

I can't speak for other 'competant' aquascapers but imagine some perhaps perceive their work in a different way. Maybe they're also very busy with other stuff, or maybe they aren't motivated by constant feedback that others may enjoy. Maybe it's something that reduces with experience - the need for reassurance that we're doing well, as we get more confident in our work.

It's an interesting topic, the whole motivation behind making our work public. Worth a thread on its own even.

BTW, the Lilaeopsis idea sounds really good... :D

George mate. this wasnt guided at you. your one of the few that do post images of your tanks. the 6 year thread is a big hit. you've also posted your most recent tank.

i just wonder if other great scapers could do the same?.....a little more frequently, for the newcomers benefits?....

look, i dont want confrontation with anyone, it's not what I'm about. I'd just like to see a few more of the quality scapers showing there work so we can all benefit. i mean we got a guy who came 16th in the WORLD and ive only seen the one image of a great tank. this is by no means a disrespectful comment. i'm not so good at putting my feelings into text :?

i also understand that people are busy, good god my self included, but I'm passionate beyond belief and i always find time to take and post images. if people can run 5 tanks surely they could share any experiences with others?....

this should be in another thread, and to be honest i'm not up to be fired at by the firing squad for just wanting others to help others.

ok, to the plants! they've arrived :D

george lilaeopsis is becoming daunting and exciting at the same time. i've got 20 pots of the stuff to divide :wideyed: see images

_MG_9882-01.jpg

my little helper...

_MG_9888-01.jpg

the job lot to be divided and planted....

_MG_9880-01.jpg

That's exacatly why you shouldn't stop posting in your journals, Mark! We all can learn from your journals, both beginners and experts - we can all take something from it and images play a big part in that. This is the reason why your journals are so popular, which is far from a bad thing. You don't need to give other people a chance to post their journals because if they want to then they will, and if we want to read it then we will. ;)

I bet you're looking forward to planting all that up! Just out of curiosity, you said you're planting tomorrow night - how do you keep the plants overnight?

Oh yeah, and I think Peter Kirwan's scape was featured in PFK some months ago and I'm sure there was more photos of the scape there. ;)

Great pics Mark - how could any Ukaps member not get excited seeing those !!

These are the sort of threads that made me want to try plants, instead of just fish in my tank. A few months later and I seem to have plants everywhere - not laid out in beautiful "scapes" as such, but just planted up to see if I can grow them, and how they grow. One day I might have one of those stunning scapes, but I know that it wont be without alot of help, comments and criticisms from other members - and that will only happen if I post alot of pictures along the way. For me the 'journals' section is the most interesting one, and seeing how folks go about choosing their equipment, setting it up, hardscaping, planting, and pruning is where I gain the most knowledge and the belief that maybe I can do it too.

Hopefully, other newbies will flick through my journals and learn what not to do, and maybe what to do too.

I think this section will be a slightly lesser place without your journals Mark, so I'll definately be keeping an eye on your website.

Cheers

Tony

Damn, Mark, how organised are you? :lol:

My wip tank is sitting on a kitchen table surrounded by kids toys, ironing, some tools and 2 sheets of mdf :lol:

That lilaeopsis look lovely, can't wait to see more pics mate :)

Mark, keep up the good work and the pictures.

I'm relatively new to this game and have a real jungle of plants in a 60 ltr. I guess I'm testing the water (so to speak) and seeing what I can grow (or can't)and how they develop before I go to a bigger tank. Without images from more experienced 'scapers I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them to make a decent display.

I subscribe to PFK and study the sections that are relevant to me (and read through the others!) but tangable knowledge is king. It's great to know someone's history and how long they've been trying, their sucesses and their failures. Your journals, or just the pictures alone, are important and inspirational to simpletons like myself.

many thanks guys. tonight i'll provide many more images.

Simon D said:
I guess I'm testing the water (so to speak) and seeing what I can grow (or can't)and how they develop before I go to a bigger tank. Without images from more experienced 'scapers I wouldn't have a clue what to do with them to make a decent display.

kinda my point :D
Tonser said:
These are the sort of threads that made me want to try plants, instead of just fish in my tank.

Thomas McMillan said:
* Quote Thomas McMillan

just trying to help :D

now for me, i'm back on track with my journal. i got to go to work and slog my gutts out now....but what fun i'm going to have later :D

Not slept.
How are things Mark all good in the hood? Saw you're having turmoil with the new scape?
Don't do being all reclusive, your threads are revered, this forum would die if it weren't for people adding all the time, aquascaping world has made massive inroads on our traffic without losing another valued member.

Back