• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's real life lighting attempts

Mark Evans

Expert
I wasn't sure where to put this...photography, my journal.

anyway, it's here.

i'm playing around with back lighting and I'm obsessed now with achieving a certain look for this tank. although it goes against the title "autumn blush"

it's been said that some of my "high light" images are a tad over done, and TBH guys your right! i'm now trying to control what goes off at the rear! whilst trying to retain detail in the stems

here's a shot from the experimentation! :D

reallightattempt.jpg

ignore the lilly pipe :lol:

Jase said:
but I cant work out what the main subject/focus is

there isn't one. it's about the rear lighting not the subject sorry. this is 5 minute wonder stuff. not the "proper" image ;)

Jase said:
Then yes... :lol: ...the lighting is great. Please don't take my critiques as always negative (which i'm sure they seem), just my opinions on improvement :D

it's fine mate, you a tough cookie to please :lol: in fact you do make me look at my work a little harder, so yeah, you have an absolute valid point which is taken on board! ;)

here's one more, a bit more composed i suppose.

STLA.jpg

remember the tank is only 4 weeks old, so it's got a ton of growing in to do.

Dan Crawford said:
Is it blue paper at the back with a spot light pointing in one are to allow it to look white?

basicly, yes Dan,

I'm discovering that you have to "shield" stray light to get total control, using card etc but one spot is pointing on the rear card, and one light directly into the tank. just adjust each light independently and adjust shooting parameters until you have the desired look. i've not used my soft box on this. but when it does come to the "final" tank shots I'll do it properly...pulling the tank away from the wall etc ;)

i did speak with tonser on Saturday, and we both agreed that a 3 light set up would be ideal.

SteveUK said:
Now *that* is a great photo!

Agreed!

One thing though, if i'm being REALLY picky, the bubbles at the top are a little distracting :lol: I'm really not looking forward to putting and photos of mine on here, i'll get ripped to shreds :D Always easier to critique someone else's work than your own. And if your pics weren't any good to start with, there'd be no point critiquing at all, so please take them as a complement

If you didn't have a journal for this tank I would be suspicious that you just scanned a few images out of an Aquajournal! :lol: They're amazing!

Stunning picture Mark, beautiful.

Seeing your pictures here really inspires me (aquascaping and photography)

Could you please start some tutorials on 'how too' with the photography 8)

SteveUK said:
So, looks like you need one more flash light, and a 4th stand to hold the hair dryer in place :D

in the future. i'll struggle on for the time being :lol: i need my son back to hold the camera whilst i hold the hair-dryer :wideyed: ....ermmm, other way around i mean

rawr said:
If you didn't have a journal for this tank I would be suspicious that you just scanned a few images out of an Aquajournal! :lol: They're amazing!

now thats quit a compliment, thanks thomas!

johnny70 said:
Stunning picture Mark, beautiful.

Seeing your pictures here really inspires me (aquascaping and photography)

Could you please start some tutorials on 'how too' with the photography 8)

thanks you, if i can inspire, then my time is not waisted.

"how too's" are tough for me, but I'll try soon.

I really like the blown out blue effect, Mark. It compliments the plant colours brilliantly (in both senses of the word).

This in combination with the good compositions and super image quality results in some very fine looking work indeed.

I've changed my mind about a new lens and my next purchase will be studio lighting! :D

Hi mark,
i dont know if its my tired old eyes,without knowing what you are trying to aim for,but all the pics look very good to me,

john.

john starkey said:
i dont know if its my tired old eyes,without knowing what you are trying to aim for,but all the pics look very good to me,

i dont get what you mean john?.... :D

LondonDragon said:
Great photos Mark, magazine quality, keep this up and you will be getting paid for this stuff soon enough :)

:lol: cheers mate.

George Farmer said:
I've changed my mind about a new lens and my next purchase will be studio lighting! :D

now i'm on the lens hunt 8)

i think i know what you mean now john....the results i was trying to achieve?.... :D

back lighting....to illuminate the back of the tank. to retain detail in the stems whilst having a bright background. to try different colours to achieve different effects. :D or something like that at least.

i just look at amano's work and try to emulate it somehow. his newer works have similar lighting :D

Back