• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's real life lighting attempts

SteveUK said:
saintly said:
STLA.jpg

Now *that* is a great photo!

I really like it and can clearly see your skill but the back is blown out to the point where its distracting and makes the eye wander around looking for something to grab onto.. Perhaps turn that rear flash down or bounce it off something , putting a warm coloured Gel on it might work also ?

davidcmadrid said:
I really like it and can clearly see your skill but the back is blown out to the point where its distracting

interesting.

it really is a case of love and hate i think. :D after all these are just experiments ;)

the over all blown out effect is the whole point of the exercise.
usually i'd feel unsure whether it was right or wrong, but when you've got amano as a bench mark, i kind of feel i'm in the right direction. i'm sure there's better to come.

when the day arrives, i'll take my time in seeing everything is correct.

putting a coloured gel over the light will give me the wrong colour I'm after surely?....thats what the coloured backgrounds are for. :D

I havent looked at Anamos stuff so if you are trying to mimic a certain style and feel you achieved it congratulations. Perhaps I have missinterpreted the point of the photo ( if thats the experiment btw looking forward to the finished product :D ). Please dont take offense that i have commented on one particular element . The Gel doesnt have to be harsh , if the white was even a little creamy so the effect wasnt so sharp, well at least thats what i had in my minds eye anyhow ( more sense of depth if the background isnt overwhelming removing focus from the front ) ,, otherwise the lighting is fab as it is in the other stuff i seen from you. I am inspired to start hanging the bowens over my tank even if i have relatively little to photograph I should see for myself just how hard it is to do what you have done ;)

Edited: I have now looked at Anamo and with his stuff i prefer the photos were the background isnt "loud". Like this one http://www.amanotakashi.net/portfolio/nature_aquarium/images/024.jpg

I am sure its probably a well guarded secret, but how about a couple of pics of how you set-up your lights and background.i.e a behind the scenes photo. I would really like to try and achieve some great pics like this but i am not sure were to begin?

Thanks

AndyH

Nice shots. Personally I'm not entirely sure on the combination of white and blue, if you have the whole background entirely white then it looks less like blowout and more of a stylistic choice. I played around with backlighting a couple of years, it's a lot of fun and you can get some pretty striking results (obviously not a real tank setup):

Freddy_by_HairyToes.jpg

i forget to thank everyone else for there kind words.

i think i should make everyone aware, that this ISNT the final shots of this tank. there's MUCH more playing to do. i'm also aware that the lighting isnt 100% so i'll be correcting as i go ;)

at least you know what I'll be entering into AGA and IAPLC :D

Hah, thanks :)

Studio lighting is actually pretty much my biggest weakness, I've played around with things a few times but most of my shots are natural light with a spot of fill flash. I'm always very impressed by people with the experience and technique to use multiple light sources to such great effect.

davidcmadrid said:
I have now looked at Anamo and with his stuff i prefer the photos were the background isnt "loud". Like this one

looks like i'm going to go back to the drawing board.

Amano is what i aim for. I'm not there by a long chalk. you have to remember I'm not pro status. I'm just like the rest on this forum. wanting to improve themselves. :D

any tips on how i might improve the set up Andy?

BigTom said:
Studio lighting is actually pretty much my biggest weakness

mine too, but i've only had it 3 weeks :lol: what recommendations would you have tom for lighting an aquarium?

Jealousy is not an attractive trait......

...... but when I look at those photographs, I just can't help myself.

;)

You're too modest!

Back