• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintlys "The Henge"

Re: saintlys 60 x 30 x36 optiwhite

my current big tank, 120 x 40 x 70. i will change that for an optiwhite 120 x 40 x 45. i allready have the stand. i just dont like the height of my current tank.it's a good year from that though.

i've got to see if my wife is STILL my wife after all the money i've been spending.

thanks aaron,

too kind realy.

heres a couple more pics after ive added 2 more stones. i prefer 5 stone layout to the 3.
[
_MG_9611-02.jpg
][/img]
[
_MG_9618-02.jpg
][/img]
[
_MG_9619-02.jpg
][/img]

Hi welcome to Ukaps saintly.

Nice thread you have going on. Its great to see some one taking their time getting good advice, good products and having a plan, not rushing. Keep it up.
The rock work looks great, any more thoughts on plant choice?

P.S, your home looks very nice, I sence your into photography as well going by the pictures on your wall.

Cheers.

thanks graeme,

yeh, i like photography. i dont do it as much these days. the aquascaping has took center stage in my life.

mmm...plants? still not sure graeme. for sure, vivipara in the back, tenelus also mid ground and im really, really unsure wether to use glosso or hc.
you see, i think i messed up putting the forground sand in. reason being i was going to use a line of riccia to divide substrate and sand but this would mean using glosso due to the size factor. if i use hc, this would look wrong behind riccia imho. so if i use hc it would have to do the job of dividing the sand and the substrate if you get my drift. ive never grown hc so it would be fun to try something new.

ok, after swoping and changing this will be my layout! know one can change my mind now :lol:

if its wrong, its wrong...thats is how we learn.many more years to get it right.

for those of you that didnt see my otherjournal on tropical fish forums, i was allways changing my layout...and bored everyone in the process.

thanks for reading

mark.

[
_MG_9645-01.jpg
][/img]

loving the beginnings of this journal.
got to say though saintly, i really preferred the rock layout before you realized putting the sand in too soon.
this new layout seems much to symmetrical and the largest stone in the middle looks way to much in centre.

i know this hobby is all about trying new things but i really like to stick with the golden ratio technique.
unless you're thinking of applying this to your planting arrangement then in that case il shut up and enjoy the journal :D

yes your right jay.

and yes i've changed it yet again.its basicly the same but ive just moved everything to the right and moved the furthest stone from the left over to the right .i'll post a pic.

i know the "golden rule" is a great guidline, but ihave looked at sooo many amano iwagumi layouts in books etc, that it is amazing how just dont follow the one thing that he preaches.

i gues thats why he's so damn good.

thanks jay :D

Hi Saintly,

WOW Great journal. Got yourself some loveley rocks there (rock appreciation society) :D but WOW £6 a kilo :eek: are they not the same as mini landscape rocks??? I thought the rock arrangement was nice and would look even better when the plants had grown to cover the bottom few cm (centre rock).

Personaly I think I would loose the sand area as the idea of the moss covered sand line lends itself better to the nature aquarium scapes with wood etc. IMO.

The tanks look great against the natural tones of your lounge.
keep us posted :D

im not sure if there the same as mini landscape rocks, but these when wet go almost black with little white bits in...lovely. theres images in the 2008 ada catalogue.

well the sand has gone. from the moment i put the first cup in, i knew it wasnt right. with a depth of 30 cm minimising it by 6cm dont make sense.
well ive got what seems like miles of room back.

heres after rearranging.

jay was right. too center. everything's just moved to the left a tad.
i'll adjust no doubt, but its getting there. its very similsr to an amano layout in the 08 cat. just on a smaller scale.

i know from the image that the stones look in line, but there not its just the angle i shot from. there is depth there.

[
_MG_9668-01.jpg
][/img]

Hi Mark,

Nice journal that's proving very popular on here. Well done!

Playing with rocks is good fun eh?!

Try to visualise what it will look like with mature plants when positioning rocks i.e. the smallest will likely be lost. This isn't always a bad thing though.

Have you tried using multiple rocks together in a mound to gain more impact? Just a thought, as I can see you love experimenting.

This scape has lots of potential - Dont get me wrong Im no expert on rock placement, But as I too love playing with rocks thought I would post my opinion. Hope you dont mind

IMO the eye is still very much drawn to the centre of the scape, see below where the 2 black lines meet
Also (I was preparing the diagram as George was typing the last post) I think your in danger of loosing the smaller rocks (circled in diagram) once the plants grow.

Presentation1.jpg

Keep at it, this has the look of a great scape about it (pressure :D )

i know george, in my larger tank, i've lost stones allready. i reckon because of the size of these rocks, it tends to lead me in the way of using hc.

as for mounding rocks, no i've not tried that. how do you mean? make one larger out of 2/3 individual's? i certainly have the rock to do so. im allways scared to go too far away from a half decent arrangment, invase i cant get back there again :D allthough i've read that amano says you must embrase rock arranging, dont be scared. he is right.

and yes its fun!instead of taking pictures od landscapes, we create our own.

i drove through the snake pass on the way to the green machine. (616 to manchester) thats prety inspiriational.

heh planter,

nicely done. were all posting at the same tiome lol.

yeh, for sure those smaller rocks will be lost. the only thing with these rocks is, i cant go any more to the left, i feel it'l look too cramped. by the rule of thirds the CENTER of the big rock seems ideal?

thanks for the input guys, realy apreciated.

saintly said:
heh planter,

nicely done. were all posting at the same tiome lol.

yeh, for sure those smaller rocks will be lost. the only thing with these rocks is, i cant go any more to the left, i feel it'l look too cramped. by the rule of thirds the CENTER of the big rock seems ideal?

thanks for the input guys, realy apreciated.

Hmmmm (scratches head)

saintly said:
...as for mounding rocks, no i've not tried that. how do you mean? make one larger out of 2/3 individual's? i certainly have the rock to do so.

im allways scared to go too far away from a half decent arrangment.

Yes, just experiment with different combos, angles, sizes etc. Go a bit mad and you may create something that bit more creative. If you have the materials, use them. And don't be scared. There's no rush is there? Patience is rewarded in this hobby, as I'm sure you know.

HC will suit the tank size. Classic Iwagumi 'scapes will include hairgrass accents, or possibly E. tennelus. Blyxa works well too, as per Jordan's 'scape. Another interesting option would be the new Staurogyne, or P. helferi. These would look great as a transition from the HC to the rocks.

Keep having fun!

Back