• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintlys "The Henge"

Re: saintlys 60 x 30 x36 optiwhite

jay said:
Never been sure with WCMM, they never seem to shoal too well when I look at them
its happening allready. they dont like swimming together. 4 will the other 3 just do there own thing.

if i like the look of the embers tommorrow i might go with them.

jay said:
You sticking to one species?

oh yes, apart from an algae crew i'll be keeping 1 shoal maybe 7 or 8 strong.

this is my last pic for at least 1 week...promise. maybe 2!!!!! :lol: or tommorow if i buy some ember tetras!

_MG_0031-02.jpg

Don't stop with the pics, a journal just isn't the same without them and they are lovely pics! I really like the backlit tanks.

ulster exile said:
Don't stop with the pics, a journal just isn't the same without them and they are lovely pics! I really like the backlit tanks.

thanks ulster, youve just given me licencse to bore.

ive just arrived back from MA @ eastbridgeford with 5 ember tetras.

they've been in the tank for an hour or so and seem to be setteling in ok.they swim about freely and stick together real well.

thanks to redsteveo :D

heres a pic or two to show you all. ive experimented with a wide angle lens to get a deeper sens of the tank(the last pic)

_MG_0068-01.jpg

_MG_0074-01.jpg

_MG_0076-02.jpg

This kind of boring is great fun :)

I like the embers - I have 11 myself. They are pretty skittish fish, but lovely to watch.

sanj said:
Are you going to have a larger shoal of them?

yeh much bigger. the reason for 5 is just to see how they look really. and i dont want to strain my filter. ive added 3 amano shrimp. ottos next.

i reckon10 or 15 should do it? i'll just keep adding untiol i think it looks right.

jay said:
Just watch them colour up now.

theyve been in for a few hours now and allready there starting to colour up. and there feeding.quite amuzing to watch and shoal real tight. i can imagine a bigger shoal.

the mountain minnows are going to stay in my big tank. they kinda add to the feel of that tank. there wacky little fish actualy.

I've got Ember tetras and found them to REALLY come out of there shells when offered schizophrenic balls of energy as tank mates, a kind of dither fish I guess. I've kept them on there own and found they did nothing but hide, added some lampeye killifish and they will now take flake from my fingers.

ok no pics, promise.

ive done some trimming this morning.

trimmed hc stems that are growing verticaly and replanted. not sure how this stuff grows, but it seems a very fast grower. i dont think it will be long till it covers the front.

p helferi, still waiting for signs of new growth. again not sure on this plants growth.

e tennelus, ive trimmed runners where ther starting to infringe on certain areas.

e vivipara, ive trimmed this to an even level as it was higher one side. this is growing quick too. 2 x as fast as it did in my arcadia.

when you look down the side of the tank theres lots of roots showing in the substrate :D so im happy,

and no signs what so ever of algae. ive not even cleaned the front glass from day one.only externaly with windowleane liquid (awsome stuff)

thanks for reading

mark.

ulster exile said:
Oh how I wish I was better at visualising, if only there were photos...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ok just for you ulster.

you can see that the vivipara si shorter because you cant see it now :lol: it grows back good though.

im really just practicing angles and stuff for when the tank matures. i know it's a long way off, but it looks ok for a week old. ignore the background. ive got some proper white stuff but i wasnt going to set that up. i did the hairdryer thing too.

the last shot is frrom behind the tank just to show the vivpara rooting.

_MG_0220-01.jpg

_MG_0172-01.jpg

_MG_0121-01.jpg

_MG_0123-01.jpg

Did you start chipping into some of those rocks at all or did they come like that? just got a load up of them seiyru(sp?) rocks
and dot really like the look of the 'dusty' coating on some.
Some of your dark, white veined rocks still have a good amount of texture.

jay said:
Did you start chipping into some of those rocks at all or did they come like that? just got a load up of them seiyru(sp?) rocks
and dot really like the look of the 'dusty' coating on some.
Some of your dark, white veined rocks still have a good amount of texture.

they look extremely like the Mini landscape rocks from AE. Theyre quite wonderful.

the ones in the tank (big ones) are as they were. i hit a couple of others to get some smaller pieces, but i didnt use them.

i did choose the best out of maybe a dozen stones.

i spoke with rich from AE and he read this journal and sayed that they were mini landscapr rocks. which actualy gutted me because if you read the previous post i paid top dollar for them £6.00 per kg i think.

nothing against the green machine, but they need to look at the pricing of those stones. jim did say they were ADA and that he was the only one that had them in the country..... :?

Yeah I ordered 11Kg from AE. I didn't think to give any specifics on what sort of sizes but I was very happy with what I got.
Its just I usually see them much darker with stark white veining, I got some like this, but the larger pieces looked very light and grey. Still nice just not what I was expecting. I've chipped away at most of them with a chisel now to expose the darker layers. Very happy with them... For rocks. :)

if you look in the ADA catalogue 08, amano uses them and there near on black whith white veins. much better. i guess he really gets to pick the best ones

i guess with time algae will age them a little, make them look more naturel.

Yeah I know what tank you mean, the one based on a rocky coast line? pages 38-41.
Bet he gets first dibs on everything hehe

£6 a kg? ouch! £2.99 at AE. I only wanted a couple of kg of them but decided to go a it overboard, to get the free delivery.
Never know when your going to need rocks.

jay said:
Yeah I know what tank you mean, the one based on a rocky coast line? pages 38-41.

yep thats the one.

jay said:
£6 a kg? ouch! £2.99 at AE.

seriously gutted mate. i could of had twice as much.

i find the ADA catalogues sooo inspirational, im planing my next scape already. :D

Back