• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintlys "The Henge"

Re: saintlys 60 x 30 x36 optiwhite

do be honest george, i was going to let the helferi grow and see how it looks. i would say that the tenelus would be too long? not sure though.

ive just got back from my fishing trip, and ive come home to some major issues!....MEGA growth. the lights are out but with normal lights on i can see everything's gone mad!

one thing i have noticed is that the vivipara and e tennelus are growing much faster than the hc and p helferi. ive got to keep my eye on them!

saintly said:
one thing i have noticed is that the vivipara and e tennelus are growing much faster than the hc and p helferi. ive got to keep my eye on them!
That's half the battle with aquascaping and the 'final shoot'. Once you have mastered growing plants without algae (which you done remarkably well), getting them to appear nice altogether at once. Pruning techniques become a priority.

George Farmer said:
Pruning techniques become a priority

hi mate, this is the next big learning curve.for me george. i kinda learned how to trim stems in my first ever setup. but this is new ground! :? the battle could be won or lost at this point. :)

i should receive my new ukaps triming pack soon :D

aaronnorth said:
You can trim it right down to the substrate

will the cut leafs die? currently the e tennelus is the tallest plant in there.

when i come home from work i'll trim everything up and see what happens. i'll take some before and after pics.

Looking fantastic! Awesome looking tank, beautiful :D

JOHNNY

johnny70 said:
Looking fantastic! Awesome looking tank, beautiful

thanks johnny. :)

to most these pics wont look that much different to my last one, but on closer inspection in reality, you can see the growth ive had in just a couple of days( ok ok im excited allright? :lol: )
things are greening up lovely too.

ok a couple or 4 pics. im not going to trim until i researched trimming techniques for these plants. so those pics to follow. truth be known...im scared :?

i keep going on about e tennelus but it really spereading like a weed! im cutting the runners and shall give a haircut.

p helferi reaching for the skys at last.

hc staying low and compact.

vivipara, getting tall (the flow from filter giving the appearence that its low)its also greened up alot.

all pics are just quick snaps!

FULL TANK SHOT
_MG_7422-01.jpg

OVER TANK
_MG_7413-01.jpg

SHOWING RUNNERS OF E TENNELUS, AND GROWTH OF P HELFERI
_MG_7408-01.jpg

SIDE SHOT
_MG_7405-01.jpg

FROM MY SON'S PERSPECTIVE :lol:
_MG_7402-01.jpg

THANKS FOR LOOKING EVERYONE,

MARK.
GEORGE! NICE WRITE UP IN PFK MATE. ;)

The one thing that bugs me about your tank is the substrate at the front where it isnt level :lol:

I am not sure about e.tennulus, i have never kept it, you can thin it out by cutting leaves off, i'm pretty cetain you will be able to cut half way down the leaf. Just try it on 1 plant and watch the growth.

aaronnorth said:
The one thing that bugs me about your tank is the substrate at the front where it isnt level

well spoted birthday boy :lol: it's for the shrimp to run up and down :lol: :lol:

aaronnorth said:
i'm pretty cetain you will be able to cut half way down the leaf. Just try it on 1 plant and watch the growth.

good idea! (theres no thumbs up smiley :? )

after a trim, you can seee the rocks again,

ive cut all runners and replanted some p helferi.

i think this is the last pic for some while im going to let realy grow in then post.i must be boring everyone now. i just dont know when to stop!
_MG_7445-01.jpg

Tank is looking great :) I like that last photo of the trim you did, looking better everyday, don't stop posting lol we like photos ;)

I'd agree with Big G, i can send you some if you like? Georges nano is ready for a trim, it's only a nano so there won't be loads but your welcome to some for a UKaps donation ;)

deal dan! :D

i'll pm you with details, unless the address i gave you previously will do?....i'll just pm you anyway!

donation coming ukaps way.

George Farmer said:
Man, that midground in front of the main rock is begging for some Staurogyne! The P. helferi everywhere else would look great.

the begging's over mate :D thanks to dan! and yourself, cus its from your old tank :lol: ive just checked your nano journal out george! the Staurogyne does fit nicely. not overstated at all.

thanks for the advice guys.

i'll keep udates.

Hi Saintly, great looking setup mate but my only little nit pic is, i feel you could do with some sort of slightly taller plant in front of the centre rock otherwise i love it,regards john

I'd love to see some spiky moss in there to offer further variation in textures. just one or three pillows here or there with the downoi. I think that'd look sterling.

john starkey said:
only little nit pic is, i feel you could do with some sort of slightly taller plant in front of the centre rock

hi john, im hoping this sugestion from george will do the trick. ;)

these are all new footsteps for me with these varietys of plants and also the iwagumi layout.

so hopefully,when ive finished this tank, i can take with me a whole load of new skills into my new optiwhite 120 x 40 x 45/60 (not sure yet) setup.
maybe one day i'll be up there with you experienced guys. :D

Garuf said:
just one or three pillows here or there with the downoi

whats this mean garuf?...sorry mate new aquatic lingo :lol:

Back