• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintlys "The Henge"

ok, maybe im losing the plot a little. ive had this idea in my head from the first day of setting this tank up. a small leafed stem behind the rocks.
well ive done it!

ive just come back from maidenhead east bridgford with 2 pots of rotala wallichii...well i thought it was (ticket said so) but on searching this plant on the net it looks nothing like what i got.

someone confirm this plant?

_MG_7691-01.jpg

this is how it looks in the bigger picture. i want to eventualy trim it in such a way that i end up with a nice bush. might work, might not. hey ho!
the e tennelus in front of it should help hide the stems too.

_MG_7688-01.jpg

Hemmianthus?
If it is a Rotala then rotundifolia. or green.

Really looks like Hemmanthus Micranthemoides though Mark.

Btw, have'nt seen the tank i a couple weeks, looks superb!!

Crew cut tennelus!!!
Would'nt worry about it though, I do it fine.

saintly said:
what part of malaysia you going to ray? my family is from there.and actualy my great grandfather is from switzerland.(ownded rubber plantation in malaysia)
I'm going to be in KL, somewhere for diving, and also a trip to Thailand. I'm British, my wife is Malaysian and her family live in KL.

I think that is rotala windli whatever. I saw some in a maidenhead aquatics. If this is one of the pots from aquafleur that is. I have found they tend to sell plants in their emersed form, which in stem plants can looks rather different. Rotala rotunfolia has roundish leaves which can be red in emersed form but the submerged form is long and thin.

WallichLi! Thats the one. I remember being in the shop trying to pronounce it. Watch out, mine has sent out lots of new growth but has shed lots of the emersed leaves. This could trigger ammonia release and therefore algae. Not that you have to worry about these things your tanks look perfect!

Lisa_Perry75 said:
WallichLi! Thats the one. I remember being in the shop trying to pronounce it.

:lol: i dont even go there! i strugle with simple english words, let alone latin plant names.

regards amonia leaches, i change 50% 2 x weekly.

infact all the time this tank has been running, i havent tested the water once! for anything.

mark

Thats the ethos of EI though isn't it? Though if test kits are so unreliable how come marine fishkeepers rely on them so heavily? Anyhoo thats for another thread...

JAmesM said:
If it survives, I'll send some on to you

if you do i'll love you forever :D for sure i can say that aint what i got. im going to question MA about that! 2 lots ive had. theres some bad labeleing going off at aquafleur me thinks.

thanks james! seriously

mark

well, the tenneluss is growing fine. the stems are doing good too.

this weekend shall see me undertake another trimming session on the stems and the runners of e tennelus. nothing else to report really.
BTW dan, the plant u sent?...it died! ive an empty space in front of the big rock! ive got my thinking cap on.

also i'll try and get some of those jbl bulbs that george uses.

beforetrim.jpg

mark

I think its missing something in the back left corner.. iirc you wanted Vivipara from the left corner 2/3's of the way across, so maybe add more of the stems.

Looks great though, the stems bring it alive more imo.

That stem plant looks like Rotala sp green to me. It definitely isn`t HM.

Personally, I am not sure about Eleocharis vivipara in this set up. It has the wrong texture for me. If you do use it, keep it away from the stems as it gets totally intertwined. It is probably the highest maintenance plant I have had, with the possible exception of Riccia. Nevertheless, it is a great looking plant when it grows to its full potential in a tall, wide tank.

The ET looks great. Is it Tropica?

Dave.

Dan Crawford said:
saintly said:
BTW dan, the plant u sent?...it died!
Was that the Staurogyne? strange, it just grows and grows in my tanks, real slow but it still does well. Shame that pal.
The one I got of AE its not doing too great either, just getting some dead leaves at the lower end and can't really spot any real growth in the last couple of months since I got it.

Dan Crawford said:
Was that the Staurogyne? strange, it just grows and grows in my tanks, real slow but it still does well. Shame that pal.

yup! it was showing new growth, the all of a suden every leaf dropped of it. ive pulled it out and it had roots at least 3 inches long healthy white ones. its in the bin now.your better than me dan, thats why you can grow it mate ;) truth be known

Dave Spencer said:
That stem plant looks like Rotala sp green to me. It definitely isn`t HM.

well the ticket from aquafleur said rotal WallichLi. im still no wiser as to what it is,im realy not happy with the way i keep buying one plant and finding out its sometrhing else.i dont get that with tropica. i just know i like the look of it :) and its growing. i dont hink now im going to go with vivipara. im liking the stems it gives it a totaly different look to the usual iwagumi thats planted with just hc and a bit of grass

I definitely isn`t Rotala wallichii. I am sticking with Rotala sp green.

Dave.

Back