• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintlys "The Henge"

I read that the stand looks "ghastly" with the doors can you show what you mean by that please?

Like this
vicenza.jpg

Looks nice with the open sand, Mark. I knew it would...

Should look great once the HC grows in around the rocks, by which time your stems etc. will nice and mature.

Not long 'til final photo shoot time. You may make the AGA deadline, hopefully.

What are you future plans?

Keep this going for a while, maintaining it in it's current form?

Or slowly evolving it?

Or complete re-scape?

Decisions, decisions...

I'll second George's recommendation of gold tetras. Nice and subtle but have a lovely 'sheen' to them.

AGA deadline is 15th September (just had a look!), so I might enter myself, just for a bit of fun and to boost the UK entries!

beeky said:
I'll second George's recommendation of gold tetras.

gold tetras it is then.

ive gone in for yet another trim of the e tennelus and grass. i think im going to uproot and re plant the p helferi as thats taking over too.

George Farmer said:
Not long 'til final photo shoot time. You may make the AGA deadline, hopefully.

What are you future plans?

Keep this going for a while, maintaining it in it's current form?

Or slowly evolving it?

Or complete re-scape?

Decisions, decisions...

ooo, so many questions, good ones though. well, im pretty sure this will be entered in to the aga, if not just for the constructive criticism. (i'll probably still cry at)

when this tank has finally got to its final look, (when the stems fill out and hc grows in again about 6 weeks i reckon) im ripping it down and starting again. you see george ive got to get as many scapes under my belt as possible to try and home in on my scaping techniques. as james m pointed out a while back, this is just an amano copy realy and dont stand up on its own merit, or my merit rather. ive got ideas buzzing around my head at the minute and im itching to get another scape under way. new scapes and more importantly new plants. ive still only grown a handful of plants and need to expand on that if im to succeed in trying something new.
hope all is well out there!

heres tonights pic after trim. you can see the p helferi is looking ok buched up, i want to split it and put a few stems to the left of the main rock to fill that space.im sure the stem will reach the surface by next week so that will be trimmed again. and then by 4 weeks more things should be as i want.( crossing fingers) ignore all the kit in the tank

9af8dbda.jpg

you know practice makes perfect and all that. i could let the tank develop but i feel ive got too much to learn.

Hi Mark, I really like this, its even better than the version on my desktop ;)

I wonder if the sand should slope ever so slightly back from the front glass up to the Aquasoil, adding depth? I also wonder if in due course it will look better with or without the stems - I guess that depends if it is an Iwagumi or an Aquascape - it seems to be metamorphosing from the former to the latter? You might end up with more than one scape from this "evolution" that is worthy to be submitted to the AGA...

Its astonishing to see this tank has only been running 10 or 12 weeks and its come so far... Motivation to persist in my own efforts...

Ray said:
its even better than the version on my desktop ;)

:lol: i can send you another if you like!

Ray said:
I wonder if the sand should slope ever so slightly back from the front glass up to the Aquasoil, adding depth? I

i hear ya ray :D your so right, im attempting this at the weekend :?

Ray said:
I also wonder if in due course it will look better with or without the stems - I guess that depends if it is an Iwagumi or an Aqua scape - it seems to be metamorphosing from the former to the latter?

great point ray! i too wonder. it lends itself to be either IMO when i trim everything real love it gives a sense of wide open space, a classic iwagumi maybe? but when everything over grows especially the stems, it has the appearance of a nature aquarium? not sure if im right. to be honest ray, im loving the stems. ive never had stems that look so healthy and bushy before and its nice to practice trimming techniques.

Ray said:
You might end up with more than one scape from this "evolution" that is worthy to be submitted to the AGA...
thanks ray, certainly a confidence boosting statement :D i would say i would manage one version of this tank before times up for entrys, yes sure it could evolve into something else, just not in time.
but like i said before, i'm planning on ripping it down and starting again. i think with another iwagumi but much more tiered to create the sense of depth. like you suggested with the sand front ;)

i wont be using e tennelus in the same way ive used it in this set-up. it will probably be used towards the back in such a small tank. i know lots of people are against riccia but i certainly want to include some riccia features. im always trying to think of different uses for the stuff. actually i remember seeing on a Malaysian scaping site one guy who attempted to tie it to a balloon in his set-up....floating balls of riccia. :lol: innovators i reckon.
Ray said:
ts astonishing to see this tank has only been running 10 or 12 weeks and its come so far... Motivation to persist in my own efforts...
it has developed rather quickly, not all of my own doing though. i owe so much to guys like george for his early advice on planting techniques etc thanks mate. and to very helpful chaps like clive (ceg)
for his outstanding advice on ferts, co2, and lighting schedules. cheers clive :D (i'm getting all teary now :lol: )and how could i forget everyone that's posted on this thread.

peace and love to you all my fellow ukaps members :lol:

mark

saintly said:
you see george ive got to get as many scapes under my belt as possible to try and home in on my scaping techniques. as james m pointed out a while back, this is just an amano copy realy and dont stand up on its own merit, or my merit rather. ive got ideas buzzing around my head at the minute and im itching to get another scape under way. new scapes and more importantly new plants. ive still only grown a handful of plants and need to expand on that if im to succeed in trying something new.
Totally with you there. Your set up is perfect for churning out 'scape after 'scape. You should get 3 or 4 decent 'scapes a year. And practice makes perfect, of course. Use your bigger tank for longer-term stuff maybe.

Also there's nothing wrong with copying Amano 'scapes when starting out. We all learn to walk before we can run...

saintly said:
hope all is well out there!
Not too bad, thanks mate. Half way now...

George Farmer said:
You should get 3 or 4 decent 'scapes a year.

3 or 4 scapes a year would be great, decent ones would be a bonus. but yes, thats the plan george. small tank for practising and the big tank for long term scapes.

today ive started using all 4 lights, dangerous i know, but as Clive said earlier if everything is balanced ie lights ferts co2 i should be able to run a stable set-up. im trying to "force" some growth ready for my entry for AGA im not posting any more pics of the set-up until after the AGA. ive added another plant so we'll see how it fits in, nothing drastic though.

when your up against the likes of planter, dan, zig and george i dont hold much hope, but like everyone else the critique will come in handy!

its going to kill me not to post any more pics but ive got the other tank i suppose :D

mark

Hi Mark,i went to TGM on tuesday and i can tell you for sure that the cuttings i sent you are P,stellata and not L,aromatica,it seems the pots were labeled up wrong and Jim and i didnt notice the differance,i saw L,aromatica in one of jims large tanks and you can see the differance,so i am a bit annoyed with myself because i have grown P,stellata before,sorry mate regards john

john starkey said:
,sorry mate regards john

john, dont worry. its still a fantastic plant. it looks good in my scape thats all that matters. it could be called floppydoppydingdong for all i care :lol: and you were kind enough to send in the first place.

thumbs up to clive for the good spot.

mark

saintly said:
its going to kill me not to post any more pics but ive got the other tank i suppose :D
Its certainly killing me! A whole week and no Henge update is unheard of. I'm not aware of any rule banning pre-publication of AGA entries? In fact some people enter the same scape in ADA and AGA in the same year...

Come on Mark, we both know that posting pictures of monkeys at the zoo (lovely though they are) is just displacement activity, like a smoker who quit sucking sweets. Really you want to show us how the Henge is getting on (or did going to 4 tubes cause algae and its gone to seed? :wideyed:)

Go on, just one more picture, you know you want to :D

Ray said:
Really you want to show us how the Henge is getting on (or did going to 4 tubes cause algae and its gone to seed? :wideyed:)

Go on, just one more picture, you know you want to :D

That is really sad to hear that the henge is covered in Algae. A great tank totally ruined overnight. :wideyed:

Sorry, what was that you I hear you say Mark ' Oh no it isn't ...and here are the pics to prove it!'

:lol: :lol: :lol:

ooo, im popular again :lol:

oh ray, you got me chomping at the bit now...theres nothing realy new to report. except the new growth of algae on my hc. and my e tennelus which is dieing off :(

i told you i was new to this lark! 4 tubes?...mehhh...im putting another 2 on it! i love the luck of that freshly grown hair variety.

i dont think this will be ready for the 15th sept :(

mark

Back