• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintlys "The Henge"

thanks jay and garuf.

:lol: at least until the 15th the riccia will be staying garuf. theres no time to amend the situation. but i do hear whet your saying. i just trim the stems 1 a week.i initialy let them reach the top then decided on a height cutt them there, and they've bushed. im trimming 1 a week now. i dont know if its right or not though. the downoi? i aint trimmed it. just left it to its own accord.

Garuf said:
Looks fantastic saintly, minus the trimmings that is, On the subject of trimmings how do you get your stems so dense and how do you trim downoi?

Can I offer a critique, get rid of the riccia and swap it for a less obnoxious moss it really throws the scape. (Sorry to be so brutal).
Leave stems for a week or two to establish, then cut them down to about 3" in height - the next cut should be a little higher. This helps create a nice bush.

P. Helferi is just a slow growing stem plant, so treat it as such. Cut the tops off and replant.

Mark, Garuf has a point about some moss... Flame moss would look great in place of the riccia. But if you don't have time, don't worry about it - there's always next time :)

well done on the trimming on getting it so neat. I think that that style is more of a dutch style though and ruins this scape, if you trim them, dont do it so uniformed. The rest of the planting is untidy compared to the stems (but in a good way ;) ) It is too distracting, i prefered it when youe eye was drawn to the large rock.

just my opinion :)

aaronnorth said:
well done on the trimming on getting it so neat. I think that that style is more of a dutch style though and ruins this scape,

remember though aaron, its only to encourage new growth. it wont permanently look like this. once new growth occurs it will look less uniform. ;)

ray, ive sloped the sand. what do you think? enough?

86852f25.jpg

I have to admit, looking back on this topic I didn't like this scape when it first started but I love it now! You've done a great job saintly. Although there's what I would call a miss match of plants, it all seems to flow nicely.

Looking good, Mark.

As it matures, it's looking more 'wild' which is a good thing. The key will be the final prune before the photoshoot. Don't prune it literally just before, because it will look too artificial. I'd say around 5 days prior. Getting the Rotala right will be the biggest challenge. You can, of course, prune the Riccia just before. Just be ruthless at tidying up afterwards.

I assume you'll be removing the black grains of Aqua Soil too? Consider using some larger grained natural pea gravel to improve the texture of the sand leading to the HC.

It's interesting to see so many folk giving their input on this 'scape. It must be the most 'interactive' layout on UKAPS... :)

Keep up the good work. Not long now is there?

PM said:
I'm glad you like the difference in lighting, it's so much better isn't it.

the difference is ten-fold. soooo much better.thanks dude

Thomas McMillan said:
I have to admit, looking back on this topic I didn't like this scape when it first started but I love it now!

very kind, and honest of you to say.

George Farmer said:
The key will be the final prune before the photoshoot. Don't prune it literally just before, because it will look too artificial.

this is the last prune of the stems im thinking george, theres only a few days left.yeh the riccia will be pruned.

George Farmer said:
assume you'll be removing the black grains of Aqua Soil too? Consider using some larger grained natural pea gravel to improve the texture of the sand leading to the HC.

:lol: yes mate, this is where im going to spend most of the time i think.. i can instantly tidy this shore line up.ive got some pea gravel after you suggested it before ;) stan chung suggested to make it more jagged aswell.

George Farmer said:
It's interesting to see so many folk giving their input on this 'scape. It must be the most 'interactive' layout on UKAPS... :)

only because i "hound"people, sorry folks to be such an immense pain in your lifes :D what with the constant barrage of photos. but if i didnt, you see i'd end up with a tank that didnt look so good.

for eg.
a shore line that didnt slope.
pruning of plants.
choice of plants.

thansk ukaps members, remember this is your tank too ;)

saintly said:
ray, ive sloped the sand. what do you think? enough?
Hmmmm. Definitely better, but I'd try a little bit more - you can always put it back again and you have to get the siphon out to suck up the black aquasoil anyway. :)

I'm also in two minds about the wayward tenellus right at the front. Its quite nature aquarium, Ammano sometimes lets things grow out of place ("just look at the detail in a patch of grass") - I'm not sure if it detracts or improves - more formal without but is that what you want? In any case - they are quick to snip out so you can wait until the last instant.

Ray said:
Hmmmm. Definitely better, but I'd try a little bit more

ray, ive done it... good call my friend. it's better. much more depth. i dont have a pic yet cus its still cloudy but im pretty sure it works. ive also trimmed the stray e tenneluss runners from the foreground. slowly but surely it's getting there.

ok a before and after. remember were looking at the sand.

f3f87aa8.jpg

cf719136.jpg

both shot from the same angle. maybe a slight adjusment in the middle. give the hc a chance to fill in again.

Mark the sand looks way better now, personally I would lower it a tad further, but its looking much better ;)
Those stems are filling in nicely too ;) congrats on a great scape

hi just sent all morning reading this. Wow love it. though i think you need some fish in there. some thing that will bring the green out. neons. But filling out nicely. I'm the same i change tank greenier when there is something niggling in the back of my mind. :p love it.

LondonDragon said:
...the sand looks way better now, personally I would lower it a tad further, but its looking much better...
I concur with Paulo. The new growth on the stems is lovely, a few more days and it should be glorious - which is just as well because the deadline is next monday! You should deffo enter this this year because this time next year you will have something even better to show!

Ray said:
You should deffo enter this this year because this time next year you will have something even better to show!

thanks ray, as usual encouraging me :D

joyous214 said:
hi just sent all morning reading this. Wow love it. though i think you need some fish in there

thanks joyous. fish?...i just got some :D . a dozen gold cloud mountain minnows. i was tempted with these ages ago but ive eventually got some now. pics soon.

LondonDragon said:
Mark the sand looks way better now, personally I would lower it a tad further

mmm...just what i was thinking. it was difficult trying to keep the sand from collapsing as it is now. maybe harder to get it even steeper.i might let it go this time.
LondonDragon said:
congrats on a great scape

cheers LD.

ok, heres a quick snap. i'll spend more time on pics when theyve settled in.

77e1a811.jpg

92181688.jpg

92d83507.jpg

for me, they work just right in the setup. not overstated like a cardinal or neon. streamlined. nice colour without being gordy.i now might stand a chance of catching the 3 remaining embers ;)

Back