• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "The Miracle Mire" scape over

Re: saintly's ??????? scape

heres some more images.

starting with stems and moss in bag....

df9aaa2c.jpg

crypts....

2c1aada5.jpg

anubias and microsorum

2dff1791.jpg

i dont think there's going to be much room for e tenelus :? what evers left over is going into another set up ;)

There is enough there for TWO 4FT tanks!!
:D
Can't really see there being any room for the plants to spread, once they establish themselves :?
Going to look great, the hardscape is looking better already.
Did you order the Aquafleur from your local Maidenhead Aquatics mate?

jay said:
There is enough there for TWO 4FT tanks!!

you would of thought so, but actually i don't have much left. there's about 3 anubias that didnt go in. 6/7 crypts and 5 microsorum. everything else is in. ive left a bit of room for e tennelus but i only need about 5 pots. i'll plant the rest in another tank.

its currently 3.30 am and ive been up all night planting :wideyed: its been an absolute mountainous task. life would of been easier if they were all stems and plants that go in the substrate. new to the anubias/microsorum plants ive had hard times arranging everything. anyway finally its done. i'm living with it for a few hours just to look and see how things stand but i reckon its about done. obviously you cant really see the stems but they are there. in abundance! ;)

i'll be posting a whole load of images sometime today but here's a teaser if you like....

8f5a0272.jpg

ok folks, heres some images from last night. i'm just going to skip through them....

all the stems and crypts divided up...

c7770852.jpg

arranging the microsorum and anubias...

662ed1a4.jpg

the stems...

7d2bc4ee.jpg

f6cf4b84.jpg

bfd4f416.jpg

crypts were also added, moss attached to wood. i still have 1 or 2 gaps that need sorting but nothing major.

immediately after filling everything was clear as a bell. i let it settle for an hour or 2 before switching on the filter. heres a couple a few hours after planting

c72e1c66.jpg

a7a8fb23.jpg

theres something to be sayed for buying as many plants as you can. its a valuable lesson im learning. even after planting all these pots, there was still loads of room for more. just look at amanos tanks after planting!

54aed4c1.jpg

so, there you have it. im pleased with the fullness it has, even without the growth of the stems.theres still the odd change to be made but im on it as i type :lol: thats it for some time now, we'll see what happens.

Looks good from here. I knew it would.

Planting heavily from start-up not only looks great, but reallly helps to avoid early algae issues. A lot of 'scapers skimp on plants, assuming that they'll eventually grow-in, but find themselves fighting a battle with algae from the start. No such trouble for you. Well done.

I like your prep too, with the cling film covered plates. That's exactly what I do for bigger planting sessions.

Aquascape-wise, my initial concern would be the massive Anubias leaves - nana would have been a nicer scale, but 120cm is quite forgiving for broader textures and as the other plants mature, they'll be less dominating.

Give it 10-14 days and you'll see the stems and the 'scape really taking shape.

What are your ferts, lighting plans etc?

Are you using new Aqua Soil? Is your bio-filtration mature already?

Please keep hi-res shots from the setting up stages - I may use this as a PFK Great Planted Tank...

good questions george.

George Farmer said:
My initial concern would be the massive Anubias leaves - nana would have been a nicer scale, but 120cm is quite forgiving for broader textures and as the other plants mature, they'll be less dominating.
when i ordered the anubias, i thought i'd ordered the smaller version :? i was gob smacked when i saw how big these were, but i did opt to keep them. fingers crossed on that one.

George Farmer said:
What are your ferts, lighting plans etc?

Are you using new Aqua Soil? Is your bio-filtration mature already?

filters are 2 mature filters that ive been running on a smaller tank

lighting is 2 x 54w t5 for 6 hours for maybe 3/4 weeks. i think i can push things along a bit quicker due to having 2 mature filters. i'll gauge how plants are growing before upping the lights.

i've used some old AS and a bag of new on top. also some large power sand, bacter 100, ADA iron tabs.

ferts, i'll be dosing tpn+ daily but im thinking of using EI 8) easy carbo will be dosed accordingly.

thanks for the input george.

George Farmer said:
Are you adding algae-eaters soon?
All good mate. Sounds like you've everything covered.

Are you adding algae-eaters soon?

yes, whats in my other opti white. theres only 5 ottos and about 5 shrimp. so im going to invest in a large crew. i might have to do this over time though. we all know how much shrimp and ottos are :? on the plus side, i do know i can run a tank for a considerable time without any algae eaters what so ever. i did in the henge for an eternity without any algae issues.

i'll give the new AS time to leach its amanoia which should keep the filters fed, and then start thinking about what fish i want. a decision im looking forward to making :D

Are the Anubias "coffeefolia"? If so, those huge emerged leaves will die off and some smaller growth will come through. This is the phase mine is going through. If the older leaves get too big, I will just cut them off, promoting more smaller growth.

My only concern is that the current shape will be lost once the stems kick in at the sides. Still, you know what you are doing for sure.

One other thing that I have learnt is that mosses look better when growing on vertical wood as to horizontal, but that is more my personal taste and cock up in my 120cm. :lol:

Nice one, squire!

dave.

Dave Spencer said:
Are the Anubias "coffeefolia"?

barteri var nana apparently. i did want the smaller variety. i think i might of ordered wrong. i mate take your advice on the larger leaf.not until the stems grown in though. it might end up looking ok. dave, i plan on triming the stems in such a way that i still keep some kind of shape, thats the plan at least. ive been tinckering and ive added more microsorum to fill the gap between the 2 main microsorum in the center

Dave Spencer said:
One other thing that I have learnt is that mosses look better when growing on vertical wood as to horizontal, but that is more my personal taste and cock up in my 120cm. :lol:

this is spikey moss dave so hopefully i'll get the full effect.

Dave Spencer said:
Nice one, squire!

much apreciated dave.

aaronnorth said:
looks good mate, the moss really add's a touch of quality :)
looks good mate, the moss really add's a touch of quality :)

cheers aaron.

ive added more moss stones around the base and more microsorum.

i couldn't resist, and i do promise i wont hound you with images. but this scape really was crying out for a quick couple of photos.

the tank approx 10 hours old...
0c1d0cb2.jpg

82e2a9ef.jpg

Quality!

I was going to say about the gap between the two ferns, but you seem to have sorted that. Can't wait til it's grown in a bit - nice one!

LondonDragon said:
Looking great Mark, well worth all the effort looking forward to more updates

LD your a diamond. received the moss. will make some more moss stones later :D ukaps donation soon

Nick16 said:
where did you get the aquafleur?

you'll find that most MA stores stock aquafleur. you just need to be fortunate in having a good stockist near you. 8)

Thomas McMillan said:
Quality!

I was going to say about the gap between the two ferns, but you seem to have sorted that. Can't wait til it's grown in a bit - nice one!

cheers thomas, yeah the gap needed looking at but it's sorted now at least. how your forground coming on? dont forget your barrier ;)

will MA order plants in? how much did your order set you back? how did you do it? did you get the number of aquafleur or did you have to do everything through MA?

Nick16 said:
will MA order plants in? how much did your order set you back? how did you do it? did you get the number of aquafleur or did you have to do everything through MA?

MA is a franchise so all stores work differently. mine is a good one and im friends with the owner. you'll have to find out at your closest store.

price wise aquafleur plants are about £3.50/ £4.00 a pot. anubias maybe £6/7.00 per pot. it's all down to your store as to how much they may charge. i dont think we as the public can buy direct.

hope this helps

Back