• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "The Miracle Mire" scape over

Re: saintly's ??????? scape

Hi Mark, the foreground is on hold (just like the whole tank) seeing as I'm a bit skint at the moment! I've got the gravel though, just need to get everything else after Christmas. I'll definately not forget the barrier! Thanks :D

Looking good Mark. Was waiting until you planted it and man you've put a lot of plants in there. will be interested to see just how full it grows out!!!

AC

aaronnorth said:
Your MA is dear for plants - they only cost £2.75 each/ 5 for £12 at my local MA!!

im generalising aaron.im not being specific. bare in mind i got a "deal" on these plants. purely because im going to scape an in-house tank.

Thomas McMillan said:
Hi Mark, the foreground is on hold (just like the whole tank) seeing as I'm a bit skint at the moment! I've got the gravel though, just need to get everything else after Christmas. I'll definately not forget the barrier! Thanks :D

good stuff!

SuperColey1 said:
Looking good Mark. Was waiting until you planted it and man you've put a lot of plants in there. will be interested to see just how full it grows out!!!

AC

theres an up side to the "full" look that didn't dawn on me until about an hour ago. hopefully the ferns, anubias should stay as they are creating the focus of the tank. and when the crypts melt and grow new leafs they should be relativley low, which leaves the stems to grow fast allowing me to prune until there big and bushy(hopefully) so when all of that has happened i'll have low growth at the sides(ish) and the stems looking bushy at the back, at the same time! how about that for a plan! :lol:

i should have some cherry shrimps tomorrow to go into the tank, kindly offered by supercoley (cheers andy) will pop in to MA to see if theres any ottos.
i've just got to think of a name for the scape :?:

ive noticed this george regarding crypts. i used them in my small opti white. i didn't lose that many to melt. they ended up having the most amazing coloured (and textured) leaves. almost like plastic.

I find mine nearly always melt but that maybe because I push the crown right under the substrate to make sure it holds in place whilst my Corys concentrate their organised group snuffle all around said area(s) that I would prefer they left alone for a while :lol:

They always come back nicely though.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
I find mine nearly always melt but that maybe because I push the crown right under the substrate to make sure it holds in place whilst my Corys concentrate their organised group snuffle all around said area(s) that I would prefer they left alone for a while :lol:

They always come back nicely though.

AC

:lol: heheh - GOTTA love corys!

Mark, really this is such superbly good entertainment that really we should be paying for your plants! 10 hours in and already you have photo's better than anything I ever produced 3 months. Keep them coming.

I only have 5 ottos and 6 amano's in my 3' and am constantly surprised what a good job they do. I'd like to add more Ottos, but only because I like them and they clearly enjoy hanging out together - you could add 5 or 10 more but with the cherries too you already have a decent algae crew.

I only have one question: can we see where you have put your filters and how you are running your flow?

Ray said:
Mark, really this is such superbly good entertainment that really we should be paying for your plants! 10 hours in and already you have photo's better than anything I ever produced 3 months. Keep them coming.

i'd post pics every day given the chance, but im going to ease off on this one!

Ray said:
I only have one question: can we see where you have put your filters and how you are running your flow?

currently, and not final, one at each end due to space or lack of it in the stand. flow is good actually, visually looking at the plants wafting, things seem good, better than the RENA but then it would be because its smaller.

saintly said:
i've just got to think of a name for the scape :?
Dave? No I've got it, Norman!
Atanding At Forests Reach? Just think pretentious, it's easy then lol.

new entries today...

10 cherry shrimp (from supercoley)
10 amano shrimp
5 ottos
1 bristlenose (from other tank)

i'll just keep building his number weekly

so tempted to go with a shoal of cardinals :? dull i know...

Ooh, a Bristlenose, that's different. I've always wanted to keep them in a planted tank - how do you find it with your plants?

I think Cardinals would suit the scape, even though they are so generic and boring. Go for something different!

Thomas McMillan said:
Ooh, a Bristlenose, that's different.

its been with me from the begining i cant bring myself to get rid. it just goes around cleaning the wood!

Thomas McMillan said:
I think Cardinals would suit the scape, even though they are so generic and boring. Go for something different!

yeah, your right thomas, i'll have a good think about it. :D

That's what I loved about my pitbull plecs. Whether they liked the type of algae or not, if it was on wood it was being cleaned ;)

Can't have mucky wood in the tank :lol:

Hope the cherries are happy

AC

Really good look to this already. Expect some good pruning for the stems ;)
Love the moss surrounding the anubias and ferns, gives an aged look to it already... except for the fishing line :lol:

As for fish choice (bit early I suppose) I think this sort of 'scape really would suit a couple of species.

SuperColey1 said:
That's what I loved about my pitbull plecs. Whether they liked the type of algae or not, if it was on wood it was being cleaned ;)

Can't have mucky wood in the tank :lol:

How big do pitbull plecs grow?
Do they leave the plants alone?
Was thinking about getting a couple to give the wood in my tank that new look... my algae crew won't really touch the stuff on the wood.

they get to about 3" inches long but need to be in groups. They may not clean a realy dirty piece of wood. more like clearing a spot and then rasping away at the same spot from then on ;)

AC

jay said:
Love the moss surrounding the anubias and ferns, gives an aged look to it already... except for the fishing line :lol:

soon it shall disappear

jay said:
Love the moss surrounding the anubias and ferns, gives an aged look to it already.
:D

ive added some more, some willow moss from london dragon. what a beauty that stuff is!

jay said:
Expect some good pruning for the stems ;)

thats the bit im looking forward to the most!

SuperColey1 said:
Hope the cherries are happy

happy as larry, who ever larry is.... :lol: thanks mate

Nick16 said:
what about rummynoses? they are a tight shooler (sp?)

mmm, i was actually thinking about those! they are a nice fish. what i do when choosing is buy 4 or 5, put them in if they dont look right take them back!

If you go for rummies, then make sure you get the true Rummynose tetra.
Long torpedo shape with a hint of green to the body.
You can get mimic rummynose's which are exactly the same in colouration, but they are smaller and a more rounded face.
Kind of like a cartoon sketch of a true rummynose :lol:

All lovely, just the true rummy shoal brilliantly.

Back