• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "The Miracle Mire" scape over

Re: saintly's "The Miracle Mire"

^ George said he thinks the scape is too complex for two or three varieties aka he thinks you should only get one variety of fish.

Thomas McMillan said:
George said he thinks the scape is too complex for two or three varieties aka he thinks you should only get one variety of fish.

you've read it wrong Thomas mate. :D

i couldn't resist these rams. there dwarf ones apparenty. little dumpy things.

i bought just one pair to see how they fit into the scape. i wouldn't want many anyway. george got me thinking about the idea of having numerous varieties of fish in one scape. thinking how they would add to a photograph etc etc.... fish choice is sooo important in a scape.

you can also see the r sp green at the back has gone mental also. theres still old emerged crypts leaves which need cutting off :lol: (lazy crimbo day im afraid) but im 95% imersed growth on most palnts now ;)

the 2 sae's have been a life saver as in threre cleaning all the crypt leaves and they dont seem to be taking a shine to my moss.....not yet anyway.

heres the pic of the new additions....2 rams! it's starting to look a little more nature aquarium now..... enjoy!

:wideyed: i gota take it easy on the photo side of things else i aint goin to have anything new to show you soon.

b02c767e.jpg

Lookin great matey!
The rams are balloon rams ( selectively bred to be shorter and rounder, same as balloon mollys and all other balloon fish) not my cup of tea personally, i prefer the normal shape, but each to their own.
Tank is lookin really good, you're doin a good job there, keep it up!
Joe

thanks for the reply joe. ;) at least i dont feel so lonely now :lol:

yeah there like little balloons. i might swap them for the more traditional type. they add a little bit of colour and character. the silter tip tetras have to go ...threre just bonkers, no real swimming pattern to them what so ever.

woo, i love rams! what variety are they? german blue?

the plants are starting to look great - looking forward to the next full tank shot.

and...get those silver tips out! i saw them in a shop the other day for the first time and they're not a pretty fish :lol:

George Farmer said:
Rams eh? How hard is your water? Some can be sensitive little fellas...

I've just tested gh and it comes out at 8/9 is that good enough? i don't know. if they look like there suffering i'll take them out, simple.

saintly said:
thanks for the reply joe. ;) at least i dont feel so lonely now :lol:

yeah there like little balloons. i might swap them for the more traditional type. they add a little bit of colour and character. the silter tip tetras have to go ...threre just bonkers, no real swimming pattern to them what so ever.

I love silver tips when they fight, it is fun to watch as the stronger fish is usually slightly higher and looking down onto the other.

George Farmer said:
How hard is your water?

while i tested my water hardness...8/9 i also tested for amonia which is now at 0. really, can a dirty filter cause so many problems? the bit of bba that was around the outlet is gone. i think the sae's helped too. anyway im glad to say im now algae free again! :D

saintly said:
George Farmer said:
How hard is your water?

while i tested my water hardness...8/9 i also tested for amonia which is now at 0. really, can a dirty filter cause so many problems? the bit of bba that was around the outlet is gone. i think the sae's helped too. anyway im glad to say im now algae free again! :D

dirty filters can also bring on BGA :?

saintly said:
I've just tested gh and it comes out at 8/9 is that good enough? i don't know. if they look like there suffering i'll take them out, simple.
I looked at this, your water is the same as mine :D and some sources say up to 4 others 8 or even 12Gh, so I think they should be ok.

From the Aquarium Wiki (http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Mikrogeophagus_ramirezi)

A "balloon" variant of this fish is being sighted more frequently on the market. It is a man made enhanced genetic deformity characteristic made through selective breeding. It is believed that these fish have much shorter life spans[1] and are more prone to swim bladder and digestive disorders due to the unbalanced shape, they will also be bullied by regular German Blue Rams. Extra care is required to look after them.

Regarding water and Rams, I think it's more important to match the supplier if they're thriving there.

A lot of imports are the results from overbreeding and tend to be quite fragile. Probably best sourcing from the Czech Republic rather than the Far East.

Ray said:
I looked at this, your water is the same as mine :D and some sources say up to 4 others 8 or even 12Gh, so I think they should be ok.

good stuff, the little things have settled great. they've claimed apart of the tank already and come out willingly to feed.

George Farmer said:
A lot of imports are the results from overbreeding and tend to be quite fragile. Probably best sourcing from the Czech Republic rather than the Far East.

i'm unsure whether to take these ones back(even though there ok) and swap them with the "traditional" looking sort, not so dumpy type. my MA are pr3etty good on fish quality. i'll just ask 'em straight out....where do you source your fish!

so George, you said you saw some great looking fish at crowlands, care to elaborate? :D

I would personally swap them for the 'traditional' type because I don't really agree with all of this balloon fish malarke.

Saintly

I was just looking through this journal to look at the way your tank is as I will be raising my hood open tank style when I get these LEDs fitted in and your photos are good for me to see the appearance.

Got to the pictures where your son is looking at the plant order and Patrick, my 3 year old walked up and excitedly said/shouted 'Daniel is looking at the flowers'

Great memory for names and faces. Pity he doesn't know the difference between plants and flowers :lol:

AC

Back