• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "The Miracle Mire" scape over

Re: saintly's "The Miracle Mire"

SuperColey1 said:
I was just looking through this journal to look at the way your tank is as I will be raising my hood open tank style when I get these LEDs fitted in and your photos are good for me to see the appearance.

Got to the pictures where your son is looking at the plant order and Patrick, my 3 year old walked up and excitedly said/shouted 'Daniel is looking at the flowers'

Great memory for names and faces. Pity he doesn't know the difference between plants and flowers :lol:

cool, hope you found what you were looking for?

wow, your little lad has a great memory. i wouldnt mind checking your led set up out when its sorted.

4 weeks in

another update....stems are doing good. even the m umbrosum is slowly growing upwards. i've had to try and stop the damn thing growing horizontal across the substrate just nip it out where needed.

now I've got a really annoying thing where the time for trimming the stems are at different times. i trimmed the r rotundifolia over a week ago now and i've only just trimmed the sp green today. I've got to try and narrow that gap 8)

anyway....

243a3510.jpg

f0dbd5f4.jpg

as you can see everything is unruly at the minute, but after several sessions with the snips all should come good :D

the sp was already pretty dense due to hi density planting in the first instance, so it should end up being quite an impressive bush (oooerr)

the rotundifolia is now starting to take on a pinky red tone to it now, and we'll see how that colouration pans out.

anubias' are chucking out new leaves regularly and so far don't seem to be infected by algae on the leaves (old ones)

here's after trimming sp green....

a5a0c8ed.jpg

its just a case of getting trimming times right now.
now im going in for the sand maintenance, levelling cleaning etc. it's quite easy now i know how to do it properly. and using a barrier was the best thing i ever did. an absolute breath of fresh air not having to pick out bits of AS.

you may also notice the missing stone to the left?...it never sat right and had to go. a riccia slate is filling the void temporally ;) another change that might come about is the levelling of the sand through out the whole length of the tank. aaron did mention this in the first few pages. you may just be right aaron ;) i'm glad i got you about!

ok, thats it for the time being. better photos will come in the future, and hopefully a full time black back drop will be installed :D

cheers,

mark

Nice!

- I think the rock on the far right needs to go.
- I think the black background is a keeper.
- I think the sand definately needs to be level across the whole length.
- I think you want some Pygmy Cories.

:)

George Farmer said:
I think Mark is one of the best UK 'scapers and plantsman about right now.

I would definately agree. He's up there with the Georges at the moment! ;)

It looks amazing, and an incredible months worth of growth :D
i agree that a level substrate would improve upon the look :)

Thomas McMillan said:
Nice!

- I think the rock on the far right needs to go.
- I think the black background is a keeper.
- I think the sand definately needs to be level across the whole length.
- I think you want some Pygmy Cories.

taken on board thomas ;)

actually, i owe the first stone (on left)to george (tips hat) it had been bugging me from day dot, but George confirmed it.

Goodygumdrops said:
Pretty damn nice.

cheers goody, a wall of mess at the minute, but hopefully in time i can make more order in the back.

George Farmer said:
I think Mark is one of the best UK 'scapers and plantsman about right now.

easy tiger ;) cheques in the post :lol:

Thomas McMillan said:
I would definately agree. He's up there with the Georges at the moment! ;)

:lol: 2 x cheques in the post. seriously, i'm know where near!

mr. luke said:
It looks amazing, and an incredible months worth of growth :D

the growth has been outstanding, and now the crypts have settled in there on overdrive too. im 98% rid of emerged growth now!

i think i owe it to a uber nutrient substrate and esimative index dosing.

jamesM!....thanks fella ;)

Looking good Mark. Makes me happy I am low light though. lol

Keep up the good work

AC

SuperColey1 said:
Looking good Mark. Makes me happy I am low light though. lol

Keep up the good work

thanks matey, i consider this low light. just like George in a similar tank im only using 2 x 54w t5. TBH, and its being talked about a lot, there's know real need for masses of light to grow the light loving varieties. i think you encroached on the subject yourself Andy. when i switch all 4 lights on it almost washes out the greens of the plants. it was ideal in my deeper 70cm rena tank but I've lost 25cm so there's no need for it.
i suppose though this is still high light, high maintenance tank....I'm still on a 6hour day over the next few weeks I'll make small adjustments until I'm up to my 8 hour photo period.

It really is remarkable growth, especially considering a 6 hour photoperiod. A testament to the effectiveness of your set up combination i.e. CO2, substrate, ferts, and circulation.

What T5s are you using, Mark?

Why bother going up to 8hrs photoperiod? Or do you want to finish this 'scape sooner rather than later?

George Farmer said:
Why bother going up to 8hrs photoperiod? Or do you want to finish this 'scape sooner rather than later?

My money is on Mark wants to see the scape for longer each day :lol:

AC

George Farmer said:

thats a good question George. i did wonder whether it would be worth pushing the whole thing along by increasing the photo period. if it it aint broke....

George Farmer said:
It really is remarkable growth, especially considering a 6 hour photoperiod. A testament to the effectiveness of your set up combination i.e. CO2, substrate, ferts, and circulation.

thanks mate.

substrate consists of...

ADA powersand, old AS and a bag new AS amazonia, bacter 100 (which is in the powersand) and the extra thing i think helps is the iron bottom tabs.(no scientific results on that though)

ferts i'm using dry powders from AE ....http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.p ... 5d9iklan22

kno3 1/2 tsp every other day
KH2PO4 1/4 tsp every other day
traces 1/4 tsp opposing days
easycarbo 5ml daily.

i was doing 2 x 50% w/c weekly but this week has been smaller 25% w/c but more of them due to the cold water out the tap, i cant be bothered to mix warm and cold.

filtartion conssits of 1 2028 and a filstar xp2.

the tubes are..... http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs- ... 8Ta38Na390

SuperColey1 said:
My money is on Mark wants to see the scape for longer each day :lol:

i did cross my mind. my wife is in charge when i work away for the week. so it's probably best that its a short day, otherwise you'd of been on the money andy :lol:

ok last pic for a few weeks. slight alteration on the fore ground nothing drastic. just subtle.i'm not levelling the foreground just letting the slope go from front to back rather than the original side to side...ahhh paint the fence, sand the floor :lol:

George and Thomas Mcmillan! you guys were right about the stones! good call.

you can also see by bringing the lights forward the foreground is illuminated better.

the DOF is crap so ignore the out of focus stems.

you'll have to fill the void for yourself, and imagine the stems bushy. but for now this is where im at.....

071c5a58.jpg

check back soon!

This tank is SERIOUS! It looks 100 times better with the lights forward like that, it was looking a bit dark before. I like how thin the sand is right at the front. Also looks better without the big rock far right. Nice one! ;)

Very nice, Mark.

I'm thinking when you've 'finished' you could get another 'scape from this by losing all the stems, crypts etc. and having an island composition with loads of sand.

Something like this, perhaps?

adana6.jpg

Your current hardscape selection and composition is certainly strong enough.

that's so similar to what i was going to attempt. the whole "sand around island" deal. is that an ada tank? looks like one.

yeah i reckon it's within reach to emulate the above set up. i think it would be possible to completely cut out the stems and be left with a different look scape all together

you know me george, i get itchy feet, so thought of living with this for another 4 or 5 months?....mmmm....nahh :lol:

i got too much stuff flying around in my head :D

Back