• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "The Miracle Mire" scape over

Re: saintly's "The Miracle Mire"

saintly said:
aaronnorth said:
i have mixed thoughts about the moss as it looks a bit dark due to the brightness of the other plants, so it looks as though it is dieing imo

:lol: aaron, my lights are positioned over the back mate. when i bring the lights towards the front things take on a whole new look ;) look at the moss in the image with the sae's does that look healthy enough?

any reason why you move them back?

aaronnorth said:
any reason why you move them back?

2 reasons, the first is the width of the tank does not give good spread until i get my susspension kit, the second is, because of the first reason i had to decide which plants get the most light, and i've decided stems get it first. when i bring them forward the forground looks ace too.

this is mid way lighting.....

d8449896.jpg

when it comes to phototgraph this tank, i'm hiring everything. lights, lens' softboxes....i'm going to town on it.

George Farmer said:
BTW do you find the SAEs distracting? For me they clash with the tetras

not too bad. it was by chance they ended up in the tank anyway. (stuck in filter for 2 months :lol: )

i think maybe this week, i'm ridding myself of all the fish except algae crew, ready for the fish that i end up choosing :D

That photo is amazing.

I like the SEAs, I think they suit the tank. I do agree that they clash with the other fish though, but you're changing them so it don't matter.

Thomas McMillan said:
That photo is amazing.

cheers thomas

a little update, i've now worked my way up to 7 hours per day lighting. uber growth time :wideyed: i'm still on 2 x 54w t5s and TBH it's going to stay like that.

the anubis' have now adapted fully to underwater life and are giving off new leaves at will and one has a flower ready to open. i've slashed at the m umbrosum only to discover a ton of crypts underneath it! nice shiny red crypt leaves :D

i planted a few sprigs/stems of the stuff in the pic...forget its name...quick grower and i have to say i love the stuff....

a40259a4.jpg

whether it'll see out the life of the tank?...probably not!

saintly said:
George Farmer said:
BTW do you find the SAEs distracting? For me they clash with the tetras

not too bad. it was by chance they ended up in the tank anyway. (stuck in filter for 2 months :lol: )

i think maybe this week, i'm ridding myself of all the fish except algae crew, ready for the fish that i end up choosing :D

I've found that the SAE's just don't look right with tetras. I recently broke my rule of only using fish from the same continent and got an SAE. It's just proven the method to my madness.

It's not it's the other one, that's a fern... Ceratopris or something.

Nah, hygro difformis is larger and uglier. Grows totally differently too.

aaronnorth said:
ceratoperis thalictroides

that's the one. from tropica.

its wendeti green in the front Aaron. the becketi in the back is so nice. i'm tempted to rip out the umbrosum from each corner and spread out what becketi i have into those corners.

this is the first time really that i can see the true beauty of crypts and the look that they give. more lessons being learnt with this tank :D

can't beat good healthy crypts ;) I am finding Becketti a bit weaker than others and it tends to keep melting from the slightest change like increase in flow or CO2 up etc.

Even if I trim and it gets a little more light it goes :( The healthy leaves look good though :)

AC

well there's a few things to report.

firstly I'm investigating into different/best methods for additional water movement. i'm considering a korolia 3/4 or 2 x no.1

secondly,after really looking hard at this scape ( 2 other ukaps members viewed the recent full tank shot also, just for feedback ) I'm feeling unhappy with the overall layout, hard scape in places, generally the balance don't feel right and it makes feel like starting over :?

while there some strong parts to this scape as the images show, overall the scape does not sit right. the feed back which i got back supported what i was feeling and if i entered into IAPLC...i'd get ripped to bits by the judges. i'll still see this scape out because I'm still learning tons from it :D trimming, dosing , flow etc.

i'm planning the next one already ;) iwagumi all the way! :wideyed:

jay said:
not a fan of the wood then mark?

not so much the wood, i cant quite put my finger on it. when i looked at the henge it felt right. the same with my 300L rena before i ripped it down. there's a load of things i wished I'd done differently,but i just wouldn't of know because i'd never attempted anything like this, never grown certain plants.i just had to do it to learn. I'm defo turning obsessive now.... :wideyed:

it's good in a way because it's all a learning curve. :D

Email me a picture if you want and I'll give you my honest verdict. I'm sure I can help you put what ever it is right without a restart.

You're too hard on yourself, Mark. The tortured artist riddled with self-doubt.

It'll very likely score higher than my IALPC entry, if you decide to enter it. Certainly higher than my previous entry, anyway!

George Farmer said:
You're too hard on yourself, Mark. The tortured artist riddled with self-doubt.

when you look at the top scapers in the world, its not hard to feel like that.

George Farmer said:
It'll very likely score higher than my IALPC entry, if you decide to enter it. Certainly higher than my previous entry, anyway!

I'm pretty certain yours is a master piece ;)

anyway, after some good feed back and a few pointers from fellow members (thanks guys) and a bit of TLC things seem rosier :)

i'm worse than a woman :lol:...truly!

side view up date.

ok, ok the lighting stand is knackered. I'm waiting for a suspension kit. 8)

my suckers dont work for the glassware neither.....anyway.

c6d6292e.jpg

today

_MG_8684-01.jpg

Back