• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

saintly's "The Miracle Mire" scape over

Re: saintly's "The Miracle Mire"

Crickey...I wouldn't know how to start properly trimming all that haha.
Looks damn good.

Fred Dulley said:
Crickey...I wouldn't know how to start properly trimming all that haha.
Looks damn good.

:lol: yeah can be problematic. the stem in the corner grew half way towards the front smothering the crypts. i have to nip the shoots out every few days. its starting to grow upwards now.

the rotala's easy enough to keep in check.

oddly enough this is the sparse side. the other side is much more interesting :wideyed:

this image shows the one of many little c hekferi plantlets that i have growing in this tank. i planted this stuff from day dot at the rear of the wood, knowing it would take an age to grow. but what's happened is, the old leave have died of (i think cus i cant see) and these old emerged flower heads?....have produced these little plants. there's loads peeking through. i'm leaving them until there tall enough to fend for themselves amongst the crypts or they may go into my other tank.

_MG_8702-01.jpg

Tourney said:
So with the Cyperus Helferi would you just trim below the flowers and plant again then?

yeah, I've just done it actually. i cut them off trimmed the old leafs off and the stem and buried it.

I've really sat in front of this tank and questioned what it is that bugs me and i know now what it is and started to make things right.

my verdict?....it's too confined on the sides. i've used moss covered wood and it just makes the whole scape feel choked, it lacks the feeling of "space" what I've done to the left side is take the wood out and re plant blyxa along the sand/AS border along with a patch off newly grown c heferi. and it's instantly opened things up. I'm amazed how different it looks now. so the plan is to do the same to the right side.

now I've tried to be daring by placing c helferi in the for/mid ground like amano does. just to try and grab the viewers attention. time will tell ;) this is the best c helferi I've ever grown.

pics soon.

So your Cyperus Helfrei had little plantlets, like in the Tropica drawing (source http://www.tropica.dk)?:
varenr133A.jpg

And you just snip them off and pop them in the substrate?

Glad to hear that the remediation plan is going well. Can you point me to the Amano tanks where he uses C. Helfrei in the foreground, I'm curious to see...? Need to thin mine out - it does start to bulk out and overhang everything after a time....

Joecoral said:
Ooh, I really like that second one, very nice

the a rather nce. there are others but it takes an age for me to sift through my folders.

here's my recently chnaged left side foreground. you can see i've added fresh cuttings of blyxa, and to the right 7 or 8 pieces of c helferi. they all look the same at the moment, so may be hard to distinguish.
but for me, it feels a lot more open and less claustrophobic. i might just do away with the anubias too.

_MG_8729-01.jpg

please ignore the riccia farm i have going off left of wood. it's just a great way of growing it for future scapes. i got a moss farm behind the riccia too :lol:

Think you should show some more of that wood thats sticking out over the blyxa/cyperus barrier.
Maye take off some of that moss at the tip?
Or just thin it out a bit.
That will open the scape up more.

Please don't tell me you've smashed the lilly or the tank?

vauxhallmark said:
What happened?

everything that could go wrong did.

i've been away for a couple of days and i upped my co2 thinking it was ok. my wife rang last night saying all the fish were dead...at least 90% shrimp dead... the lot. ive come home knowing i'd have to fish them out. so i decided to take moss of wood due to an algae problem. but as soon as i started doing so, i piece to the right dis lodged. i took that out. found a ton of fish underneath. but from then on, this moved that moved....

you get the picture. i've tried getting it back to how it was but i'm not so lucky :( i truly, hand on heart say, i'm gutted.

it's just an absolute waist of time and more to the point MONEY!

one of the other things that added to the mayhem was the ferns and anubias which had attached it's self to other bits of wood. i pulled without realising.

That's gutting mate. From a school boy error :(
It's all learning I guess.... Just why does it have to be so expensive though!

Bad luck man. feel for ya.

Back