• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sakura Sencha - Neil W's Nano

Re: Mountain Stream Nano

Also the Cyperus Helferi hasn't done so good. The top emergent half is dying off whilst the submerged part is OK. Don't know wether to chop the dead tops of the leaves and hope for the best or it has a one way trip to the bin? May replace is with something else.

tankfinal.jpg

Done some gardening.

Looking great :) There is one bit of constructive comment I would make. It's taken me a while to figure out what was bugging me (only very slightly!) I think the pale gravel sort of looks out of scale. I can't help thinking that a finer grade of gravel might just bind it together a little more?

How are you finding the Cyperus growing half in/half out of the water?

SteveUK said:
Looking great :) There is one bit of constructive comment I would make. It's taken me a while to figure out what was bugging me (only very slightly!) I think the pale gravel sort of looks out of scale. I can't help thinking that a finer grade of gravel might just bind it together a little more?

How are you finding the Cyperus growing half in/half out of the water?

Thanks, good point about the gravel. When it was first set up it did have an inbetween grade between the larger bits and the sand but it appears the majority of it has blended with the nature soil and/or been taken out with my manic sand cleaning! I'll just add some more in over the larger bits?

The Cyperus wasn't doing great, the emergent half died off but the submerged part was alright. I've kept the alright bits for now and binned the rest. Next I want to add some more longer Hairgrass in the same corner as the Cyperus and also try out some Fissidens on stones.

Now that I've finally sorted out the hardware I really wanted to take a proper look at the planting. I want something to fill that back left corner and also some more variety throughout the scape to add greater complexity and texture. Any suggestions anyone?

I also want to revise the scape as a whole to freshen it up, maybe something different like some wood? I would like to get more moss in there somewhere.

Am I asking too get too much into a nano?! :lol:

SteveUK said:
How about some Blyxa in that back left corner? It might give a similar effect as the Cyperus, only shorter :)
That would be nice, its more dense then that Cyperus too. Would it be OK non-CO2 just with Easy Carbo?

Jase said:
That's really smart Neil, looks great with the new glassware and the tidy up :thumbup:
Thank you Jase. Makes a massive difference I think free of clutter, doesn't even have a light strapped to the side of it so its just a glass box full of nature. The new cabinet changes the way you see it too. Trouble is you start to look at 'the next thing' so its never ending! Im on a graphic design degree at the minute where its very solution based, so this is a refreshing take on creativity thats never resolved.

Re: Sakura Sencha - Neil's Mountain Stream Nano

It looks really great! One of my favourite tanks. :thumbup:

New Chilli Rasboras! I didn't realise how miniature they were, yet still in proportion. Really hard to get a photo of though. Also got a nice Stiphodon sp. Goby but hes being rather elusive at the minute. I'm not sure of how much they're going for elsewhere but I picked him up for £2.95!

chillirasbora002.jpg

chillirasbora001.jpg

Neil

Looking good mate, as you know i have both the chilli rasb and the stiphodon gobies. Both excellent fish.

Give you goby time, he will be digging a hole to hide in, once settled you will see him sat everywhere and anywhere!

Feed him algae wafers and Spirulina.

Andy :thumbup:

andyh said:
Neil

Looking good mate, as you know i have both the chilli rasb and the stiphodon gobies. Both excellent fish.

Give you goby time, he will be digging a hole to hide in, once settled you will see him sat everywhere and anywhere!

Feed him algae wafers and Spirulina.

Andy :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice Andy I was going to ask you a few things actually but you've just answered them :thumbup:

You're spot on with the goby, when I woke up this morning I noticed a pile of soil at the back. I guessed it was natural behaviour kicking in as they're in the same family as mudskippers and I know that they can dig. I've got some algae wafers already and he may even take a liking to the sushi nori I feed the shrimp.

On the other hand I need to get some tropical flake for the rasboras, I forget they don't have a constant supply of food in the tank (algae) as my other critters! I'll get down to P@H and see if they got spirulina too.

Tis all lookin good Neil! Cant wait to go down to get some stiphodons, just need a bit of time to make the trip to shirley :thumbup: get some pics!

Thanks, looking at your nano journal I realised I've got a very similar set-up; Oliver Knott NS, ADA Forest Sand and a moss border, left hand island composition..! I've barely seen the goby today but I'll get a shot when I can. I so need an SLR with a macro...

yea :D i can honestly say, i didnt look at yours and copy, but, it seems to work well, i think, after i look at alot of tanks, it gives me the inspiration to do something, where not particularly thinking of that tank but, already having that thought in my head.

AdAndrews said:
yea :D i can honestly say, i didnt look at yours and copy, but, it seems to work well, i think, after i look at alot of tanks, it gives me the inspiration to do something, where not particularly thinking of that tank but, already having that thought in my head.

I thought yours was up and running before mine? Anyways nice to be remebered and make an impression :D Are you finding that the nature soil loves to mix with the sand too? :lol:

NeilW said:
Are you finding that the nature soil loves to mix with the sand too? :lol:
annoyingly yes, thats the only downside really, that its the NS is too light and goes everywhere, i need to clear it, after i get my co2 sorted, the next thing for me is to get swap the moss with HC and get some hydrocoytle.

Back