• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sakura Sencha - Neil W's Nano

Re: Sakura Sencha - Neil's Mountain Stream Nano

AdAndrews said:
annoyingly yes, thats the only downside really, that its the NS is too light and goes everywhere, i need to clear it, after i get my co2 sorted, the next thing for me is to get swap the moss with HC and get some hydrocoytle.
I've got a barrier going on with moss around the plastic from wire and it still manages it. I pick the odd annoying bit out with tweezers and if thats bad I refresh it with new sand.

Oh and heres the goby;

img0910k.jpg

That's a cool little fish. You have a number of nice animals in this small tank.

hydrophyte said:
That's a cool little fish. You have a number of nice animals in this small tank.

Hopefully he'll get more confident and come out some more. I mainly picked fish I know wouldn't get much bigger and won't damage the shrimp. All these critters have the more then 6 times body length guide (the goby being the biggest), heavily planted and heavily filtered (over 30 times the volume per hour) so I think I can get away with it (just!). No more fish, however the CRS are breeding but I intend to mail them out either cheap or free to you UKAPS lot if I get too many.

In total I have;
1 Ottocinculus catfish
1 Stiphodon sp. goby
5 Chilli rasbora
7 Crystal Red Shrimp
2 Nerite Snails

Thanks for looking everyone,
Neil

Looks more like a garra or a loach to me? o_O

Garuf said:
Looks more like a garra or a loach to me? o_O

That was my reaction that aint no stiphodon, wrong body shape, i am with garuf some sort of loach :( sorry!

hmmm you may be right there Garuf, definitely not a Garra as my dad had one of those and they had different markings and was chunkier.

It appears it actually is Traccatichthys pulcher. However my dad was after a new loach so he can have a new home in my dads tank :?

I used Tropical Fish Finder who said they had some in Romsey but it appears they didn't have any to begin with or were misidentified like I managed. In the tank he was whiter like a Sumatran Stiphodon and I didn't notice his whiskers :oops: should have been obvious from the photo though.

My dads tank looks like its more suited then mine as its bigger and they prefer cooler water, so thats luckily worked out well. Was jammy, I thought I had Jaws on my hands!

Had a bit of a crisis last night when the loach started to go on a digging spree and I had to replant all the hairgrass at the back at 12 o'clock at night which didn't cheer me up. Had to completely separate all the plantlets from the runners to replant. That was a hard lesson learnt. Today I took him over to my Dad's and is now happily living a more suitable set-up;

img0924.jpg

In addition to the worry of rehoming the loach I also had a couple of the Chilli rasbora die on me last night, although the water is spot on and hasn't changed from the usual low nitrates at 10, which is fine even for the fussy crystal red's.

I can't work out what the problem is, as both the CRS and otto are behaving as normal.

My only thought is that in the fish shop their water was heavily oxygenated with airstones for the massive amount of livestock they had and the didn't cope with the transition, but then again I don't run CO2 injection only EasyCarbo. The fish were drip acclimatised like I do for the shrimp. Maybe they wern't healthy fish to begin with?

Anyone have any ideas of what the issue could be?

Thanks, Neil

I have had the same experience, I guess a small fish is like a small tank - small reserves and therefore die easily. Can be just the stress of moving, or maybe as you say they were old or unhealthy. If your other fish are OK I wouldn't worry too much. T

TBRO said:
I have had the same experience, I guess a small fish is like a small tank - small reserves and therefore die easily. Can be just the stress of moving, or maybe as you say they were old or unhealthy. If your other fish are OK I wouldn't worry too much. T

I'm guessing they were just fragile then as you say. Such a shame really :( . It only leaves the 3 of them left and I'm guessing they won't be happy in that small sized shoal. I was thinking of getting 3 more but then if those three new ones die again...

NeilW said:
TBRO said:

I'm guessing they were just fragile then as you say. Such a shame really :( . It only leaves the 3 of them left and I'm guessing they won't be happy in that small sized shoal. I was thinking of getting 3 more but then if those three new ones die again...

Was in a fish shop today and that fish was defo a garra. Saw a tank full.

Give it a few days b4 you get replacements just on case you do have a problem, but yes they will be happier in a shoal.

Thanks for the definite ID Andy. My dad had a Garra previously but he was fatter (the fish not my Dad!); maybe he just had a weight issue :lol:.

I was going to wait before getting any others. Really odd, I hate not knowing what the cause could be and not being able to do anything about it. The remaining two look healthier today and aren't at the surface gulping for air so thats promising.

NeilW said:
Thanks for the definite ID Andy. My dad had a Garra previously but he was fatter (the fish not my Dad!); maybe he just had a weight issue :lol:.

I was going to wait before getting any others. Really odd, I hate not knowing what the cause could be and not being able to do anything about it. The remaining two look healthier today and aren't at the surface gulping for air so thats promising.

Its strange, as you know i have the same chilli rasb and the one thing i have noticed is that they are sensitive to CO2. As soon as my CO2 gets high they are all at the surface gulping. It took me a while to balance the co2 and not causing them grief. They are one of the more sensitive fish to CO2, maybe due to their size.

andyh said:
Its strange, as you know i have the same chilli rasb and the one thing i have noticed is that they are sensitive to CO2. As soon as my CO2 gets high they are all at the surface gulping. It took me a while to balance the co2 and not causing them grief. They are one of the more sensitive fish to CO2, maybe due to their size.

I only use EasyCarbo at half dosage as I'm paranoid already about it. I had all the fish die at night when CO2 is highest when the plants aren't respiring oxygen back into the system, must be a big difference between that environment and the oxygen-rich tanks of the shop. It may be worth investing in a more reliable source of carbon in the future with CO2 gas?

OK, I think I found the problem is the carbon. The rasboras were fine this morning but my girlfriend added EasyCarbo this afternoon and since then she said they were gasping at the surface. The shrimp have also started to act a bit sluggish so Im trying to gas some of it off with a battery powered airstone. I've only started dosing 0.5ml daily from this week so thats the only thing that changed in my tank. Previously I was dosing that 0.5ml once a week...

Now the question is, do I switch back to once a week with poor plant health, try dosing every other day and see what happens, or invest in a CO2 injection system?

NeilW said:
OK, I think I found the problem is the carbon. The rasboras were fine this morning but my girlfriend added EasyCarbo this afternoon and since then she said they were gasping at the surface. The shrimp have also started to act a bit sluggish so Im trying to gas some of it off with a battery powered airstone. I've only started dosing 0.5ml daily from this week so thats the only thing that changed in my tank. Previously I was dosing that 0.5ml once a week...

Now the question is, do I switch back to once a week with poor plant health, try dosing every other day and see what happens, or invest in a CO2 injection system?

Neil

You challenge is your tank is only 14l.

Doing a water change will help with the problem as liquid CO2 is different to Co2 gas.

Easycarbo is dosed at 1ml per 50L so doing a quick calc you should techincal dose 0.28ml
I wouldn't of thought that 0.5ml would of caused any problems and i would of done the same o_O I overdose on my 35l at 1.5ml every day. (should be 0.7ml). Without insulting you are you being accurate with your dosing? I use a 5 ml Plastic Syringe, which is very accurate.

Andyh

andyh said:
Neil

You challenge is your tank is only 14l.

Doing a water change will help with the problem as liquid CO2 is different to Co2 gas.

Easycarbo is dosed at 1ml per 50L so doing a quick calc you should techincal dose 0.28ml
I wouldn't of thought that 0.5ml would of caused any problems and i would of done the same o_O I overdose on my 35l at 1.5ml every day. (should be 0.7ml). Without insulting you are you being accurate with your dosing? I use a 5 ml Plastic Syringe, which is very accurate.

Andyh

I did have a moment of inspiration and did a 50% water change just after I put the airstone in as I realised the carbon was liquid-based and it would dilute it. Im pretty accurate on the dosing as I too use a 5ml syringe- I even tap the air bubbles out to try and get it spot on. I think by your calculation I'm well pushing it though with 0.5ml, especially with sensitive animals. Its odd how you have the same fish and can get away with overdosing, maybe they've built up a tolerance.

I think by your suggestion I'll drop it right down to 0.2ml daily and see how I get on. I'll try and get hold of a 1ml syringe so I can get it just right.

EDIT: Just got hold of a syringe off Ebay

Thanks again for your advice :thumbup:

Neil

Despite my best efforts the last two rasboras died even after I stopped dosing EasyCarbo and completing 3 50% water changes over 3 days :( . However another of my CRS is pregnant.

I've also added some Blyxa although its melting horribly. I looked at the tank tonight and thought how its strayed from my original idea to look more like this;
2421395-lg.jpg

If I can get hold of a moss that'll hug very low then I think a re-scape maybe in order. I'll sleep on it and see how I feel in a weeks time.

Does anyone know where I would be able to get hold of some mini pellia?

Mini pelia is sold by it's true name through tropica so any tropica distributor will be able to get it, but it's very very expensive stuff and finiky initially, it's worth asking if members have it first before splashing out.

Garuf said:
Mini pelia is sold by it's true name through tropica so any tropica distributor will be able to get it, but it's very very expensive stuff and finiky initially, it's worth asking if members have it first before splashing out.

I saw some for £20 and thought I was seeing things but I guess not!

Back